Does anyone remember the old fashioned bin men?

nice to hear the nostalger,then it comes,, critisicisms! you wanna ave ago, call taskmaster.leave your slaggin off to general discussions!!

Nostalgia encompasses both the good and the bad hence it is perfectly legitimate to both criticise and eulogise.

Early 60s. I worked on the bins during the summer while I was a student. Bins were galvanized metal with metal lids. We didn't carry them on our shoulders. One on each hip. Two bins at a time from the yards to the kerbs. The regular guys used the students as gophers. Showed us how to carry them, then sat bk in the lorry for the most part while we did the work. If we carried out only one bin at a time we'd get shouted at. Then, we had lunch at the canteen at the rubbish tip. What a hum. Stuck that job for best part of a wk then packed it in. Great memories.

Brilliant photo's Hillsbro.

Thank you. My memory only goes back to the metal bins with rubber lids.

Honest :)

those rubber lids fit a belle mini mixer and stops you splashing mortar all over still have a few.

I remember bin men with a trolly for the heavy bins.

Great pictures SD built bin lorrys.w's.shelvoke-drewry.co.uk/Preserved.htm

The baths were originally for shoveling out the earth closets.

I remember these in Sheffield - http://www.toymart.com/price_guide/gallery.php?id=1838&cx=004691070598207067878:nzflnd5jiui&cof=FORID:11&ie=iso-8859-1&q=Dinky 252 Bedford Refuse Wagon

They may not have been Bedfords, but this same style.

The 'binmen' did carry the bins on their shoulders and they did have have leather protection on their shoulders as did the coalmen. They were later issued with two-wheeled trollies.

Edited by crookes

Yep - as in this photo Must've looked like this.That's a bit before my time (honest it is...) but here's a photo..:)

thats as I remember but the lorries were more modern than the model shown, I'm talking about the late 40s early 50s.

I remember these in Sheffield - http://www.toymart.com/price_guide/gallery.php?id=1838&cx=004691070598207067878:nzflnd5jiui&cof=FORID:11&ie=iso-8859-1&q=Dinky 252 Bedford Refuse Wagon

They may not have been Bedfords, but this same style.

The 'binmen' did carry the bins on their shoulders and they did have have leather protection on their shoulders as did the coalmen. They were later issued with two-wheeled trollies.

I remember that style of 'dustcart' from when I was a nipper in the early '50s. Burgundy (or possibly maroon) with SCCD (Sheffield Corporation Cleansing Department) in cream painted on the side. I don't think they were used for household waste collection though: more likely street litter bin and commercial waste collection.

I had that very Dinky toy as well when it first came out. I kept my pet woodlice in it.

...I don't think they were used for household waste collection though: more likely street litter bin and commercial waste collection...

That's possible, but I do remember them being used on Toftwood Road to collect household rubbish. They may have been used during a period of changeover of 'old' to 'new' bin lorries.

I don’t remember any of that we had a metal bin with a separate lid, the bin was carried from our back garden slung over their shoulder and then poured straight into the back of the lorry.

Another one saying yes thats right- my husband worked on the bins when

it was like this, before changing jobs

They didn't hoist up the bin on their shoulders, they emptied the bin into a steel container, a little bit a present day baby bath and carried it away on their shoulder. Then, the bins had hinged lids as well. Bear in mind, we used to have open fires in those days so most things that would burn went onto the fire so not a lot of waste was actually put in the bin, even the fire ashes were usually put on the gardens.

Modernisation manufactures more rubbish, just looking at the size of the refuse lorries today as to the ones oy yesteryear, there is no comparison.

I don’t remember any of that we had a metal bin with a separate lid, the bin was carried from our back garden slung over their shoulder and then poured straight into the back of the lorry.

I remember both versions. I saw the first version being tipped into the vehicles as on my previous post

I always liked the bit where the bin got to to the top of the slide and the bloke gave the lever a couple of sharp jerks to bang it and get any stuck stuff out.

Magic !

I have a bin man story from the few days when I worked on the bins while a student. We were going around a working class area of Sheffield one morning. Don't remember where it was. I noticed one of the guys was missing. "Where's Sid gone?", I ask one of the blokes. "Eez gone ter see t'missus at number ten," says he. "Oh, she gives him his breakfast does she?" I ask rather naively. "Aye, an more than that," says the feller with a big wink. "Eel soon catch up wi us." And he did. After 20 mins or so. Looking very full of himself. Shades of Coronation Street. :hihi:

Edited by soft ayperth