Does anyone remember the old fashioned bin men?

remember them wearing those WW2 leather jerkins?

i wouldnt dream of leaving an xmas tip now. i forgot to put my bin out monday, it was aprox 1 inch away from the pavement at the front of my house, really would have killed them to empty it!!!:suspect:

We had galvanised bins with black rubber lids and the bin men fetched them from the back of the house and carried them on there shoulder to the awaiting lorry then bought the empty bin back to where it belonged.

Didn't they have something like a golf trolley to wheel them out and back?

I remember when the bin lorry was full the back tipped up and sent all the rubish to the front,wernt the lorries yellow and green?

I remember the bin waggons having roller doors either side - sure they were green and cream but I was brought up in Stannington (Wortley district).

I remember when the bin lorry was full the back tipped up and sent all the rubish to the front,wernt the lorries yellow and green?

hiya in the 40s/50s we lived in a yard of 12 houses and 6 on the front making 18 houses the 18 bins and 9 toilets were all in the yard, we had three bin men to empty the 18 bins,( 2ft 6ins high loose lid no hinge ) mostly ashes from the coal fire, empty tins,bottles ,jars, and such, they would empty the bin into a round skip like a zink bath but round, they would empty the skips into the lorry that had 4 side openings with hinged doors. they would carry skips on their shoulders with a leather shouder pad on, as for putting ashes on garden we didn't have a garden the only other use for the ashes was in winter time when it was used to spoil our slides and sledge runs in the snow.

What about the bin lorries where they put the bin on the bottom at either side, pulled a leaver, and it raised the bin to the top, tipped it over and emptied the content into the lorry?...
Yep - as in this photo
I remember when the bin lorry was full the back tipped up and sent all the rubish to the front...
Must've looked like this.
They didn't hoist up the bin on their shoulders, they emptied the bin into a steel container, a little bit a present day baby bath and carried it away on their shoulder...
That's a bit before my time (honest it is...) but here's a photo..:)

nice to hear the nostalger,then it comes,, critisicisms! you wanna ave ago, call taskmaster.leave your slaggin off to general discussions!!

Yep - as in this photo Must've looked like this.That's a bit before my time (honest it is...) but here's a photo..:)

Thanks for the pic - hadn't seen that one before. Great memories.

I agree with them fetching and returning the bis to wherever they were kept "round back" and it was unthinkable not to give them a tip for Christmas.

There was a time, I think it was sometime in the 70s, when they changed the metal lids to rubber ones as there were so many complaints of the clattering of these metal lids at 6 am in the morning on collection day!

There was a time, I think it was sometime in the 70s, when they changed the metal lids to rubber ones as there were so many complaints of the clattering of these metal lids at 6 am in the morning on collection day!

Yes, I remember them changing to rubber lids too.

Speaking of the metal bin lids, we used to put them to several uses when I was a kid. Around Bonfire Day we would test our bangers underneath one in the back yard and see how far the lid would lift when one was set off. The usual height was about a foot, but there as a "Wilders Zip-Bang" which would actually blew the lid onto the top of the row of outside toilets which was some 7 feet high to the roof. Some power in a penny banger! We also used them as shields when fighting one another with toy swords.