Does anyone remember the old fashioned bin men?

Towards the latter end of WW11 when petrol was scarce some dust bin lorries were run by steam

I remember seeing one on Dutton Rd,what sticks in my memory is the huge chain underneath and the fire box

I remember seeing one apparently being steamed up at what appeared to be a small depot off Attercliffe Road, possibly Worksop Road or the first part of Darnall Road, on the way to my aunt's with my mother around 1949. I thought it was strange and old fashioned, but of course petrol would still be scarce then.

Edited by PeterR

I don’t remember any of that we had a metal bin with a separate lid, the bin was carried from our back garden slung over their shoulder and then poured straight into the back of the lorry.

Me too. That's how I remember it.

---------- Post added 30-01-2018 at 10:50 ----------

They didn't hoist up the bin on their shoulders, they emptied the bin into a steel container, a little bit a present day baby bath and carried it away on their shoulder. Then, the bins had hinged lids as well. Bear in mind, we used to have open fires in those days so most things that would burn went onto the fire so not a lot of waste was actually put in the bin, even the fire ashes were usually put on the gardens.

Modernisation manufactures more rubbish, just looking at the size of the refuse lorries today as to the ones oy yesteryear, there is no comparison.

Don't remember that way of Bins being emptied ??

---------- Post added 30-01-2018 at 10:52 ----------

Didn't they have something like a golf trolley to wheel them out and back?

1960 / 70's mechanisation. lol

---------- Post added 30-01-2018 at 11:00 ----------

That is harsh. We have some old peoples bungalows near to where we live. The bin men take their bins to and from the bungalows and the older people appreciate this. If I am on days off from work, I take their bins out but I work shifts so I can't always do it. It's not really a pleasant job when its freezing cold and raining. :(

You can ask for this Service if you're Elderly or Infirm. I don't think the Binmen do it out of kindness.

I was a kid in the 60s and the bin men had two wheeled trolleys that hooked onto the bin. Some of them just lifted the bin onto their back.

On 30/01/2018 at 13:48, hobinfoot said:

I was a kid in the 60s and the bin men had two wheeled trolleys that hooked onto the bin. Some of them just lifted the bin onto their back.

They had trolleys in Sheffield - up in Stocksbridge we still carried them on our shoulders.

Remember that this fat bloke always coming to the door at Christmas in scruffy clothes touching his scruffy cap and wishing us a merry Christmas on behalf of the bin men. He never spoke the rest of the year.

11 hours ago, desy said:

Remember that this fat bloke always coming to the door at Christmas in scruffy clothes touching his scruffy cap and wishing us a merry Christmas on behalf of the bin men. He never spoke the rest of the year.

"Some folks give tips at Christmas, 

And some of them forget,

So whem he picks their bins up,

He spills some on their step". 😄

Edited by Ontarian1981

15 hours ago, Ontarian1981 said:

"Some folks give tips at Christmas, 

And some of them forget,

So whem he picks their bins up,

He spills some on their step". 😄

Lonnie Donegan, My old man's a dustman !  Lol

Guest makapaka
On 27/08/2010 at 10:31, top4718 said:

We had galvanised bins with black rubber lids and the bin men fetched them from the back of the house and carried them on there shoulder to the awaiting lorry then bought the empty bin back to where it belonged.

That’s how I remember it - always remember thinking they looked like right handy lads as well.