Does anyone remember the old fashioned bin men?

I had a ride in a bin lorry last week (but that is a secret, cos I don't want the bin men to get in to trouble). It was ace!!!

that's right malky!

My uncle was a big bloke,and he used pick up two bins a time and empty in the wagon.they used to put them back where they found them,(not like today)where they just leave em anywhere.

I think most people used to give them a tip at xmas,(once again,not these days)

------------------------------------

hi, your dead right there, i remember all that as my mate use

to work for council. ( on bins)

they really did work hard for their wages and you could have a

laugh with them along the way, if you asked them to take this

that and other from side of bins it was no trouble.

They were worth tipping them at xmas in them days, trouble is i wouldn`t give em ow`t.

They are spoilt now.

When ever we needed anything like a fish tank, a christmas tree or bike parts, my dad would say I'll ask Dougie, who worked on the bins. It usually took a couple of weeks before it arrived.

Bins on wheel its a luxury these days and one binman said it to heavy mate and stuck a sticker on it so i rung council up and got a bigger bin. Dint look happy following week the lazy tw*t.

:love:

Bins on wheel its a luxury these days and one binman said it to heavy mate and stuck a sticker on it so i rung council up and got a bigger bin. Dint look happy following week the lazy tw*t.

-----------

THATS A GOOD UN ON BIGGER BIN, PITY THEY DONT HAVE TO SLEDGE

THEM DOWN.

What about the bin lorries where they put the bin on the bottom at either side, pulled a leaver, and it raised the bin to the top, tipped it over and emptied the content into the lorry? If they felt it hadn't emptied, they could jolt it back and forth a few times. Fascinating watching them as a kid. Such a racket they all made back then.

Crikey thought I'd dreamed about that, it really did happen, thanks for rekindling my memory :)

I remember the bin waggons having roller doors either side - sure they were green and cream but I was brought up in Stannington (Wortley district).

remember the lorries well. my uncle was the driver in stannington i think late 50's ealy 60's and yes they always carried the bins from the back of the house to the wagon and put them back. and they did not leave rubbish blowing around.

Thanks for reminding me of the good old days, when the dustbin was at the back of the house, and the bin men used to come and fetch it, empty it in the lorry, then put the bin back in its rightful place. What a luxury, not like today, when its all DIY bins.

My grand father was a bin man from 1920 to 1939 with the Sheffield Council. As for the leather jackets, they were army surplus WW 1 issue. I have a newspaper cutting of the crew in 1923 with the bin lorry in the back ground.

I've still got my old galvanised bin- I filled the bottom up with rubble and then compost and it's got a really lovely trailing campanula in it now :)

It's still standing on the round paving slab in the back garden which was put there to stand the bin on when the council introduced the original collection service many years before I bought my house.

On the series Desperate Housewives they use the old galvanised bins, odd why they show those being used again :huh:

thats as I remember but the lorries were more modern than the model shown, I'm talking about the late 40s early 50s.

The first photo is more like the 40s early 50s I think.

With reference to the controversy about the present rubbish collections - blue boxes for paper etc, does anyone remember the bin men of yesterday? Did they really hoist up the bins up onto their shoulders? They must have suffered from many associated ailments?

Yes ,it would kill the guys nowadays if they actually had to work,,,takes them all their time to press a button on the wagon,,,and only then when we have done half the job for them by dragging the bins out

---------- Post added 23-01-2018 at 18:16 ----------

That's right Malky!

My Uncle was a big bloke,and he used pick up two bins a time and empty in the wagon.They used to put them back where they found them,(not like today)where they just leave em anywhere.

I think most people used to give them a tip at xmas,(once again,not these days)

Why tip em ,nowadays,they don't even earn the wages they get, anyone can press a button