1940/50 life as a wireless kid ..

That was Norman Evans..:)

Hi Hillsboro =saw Norman Evans at Dial House in the 60s he was a bit long in the tooth then but still very funny!.:hihi:

Don't think so DENLIN.

I lived at Ballifield (Handsworth) in the 50's & 60's and we got our first telly in 1961, I think. I remember watching the 1961 FA Cup Final at home but the 1960 Final, Wolves v Blackburn Rovers I watched in a neighbour's house. Out of all my mates we were the first to get a telly. So I don't think you're quite right, begging your pardon, that tellies were readily available in most homes in the EARLY fifties.

My favourite radio programme was "Hancock's Half Hour". Sheer classic.

I think they were we had one in 1953 and so did many others so that they could watch the coronation. Ours was a Murphy and watching that was my earliest memory I was 2 at the time

I remember leaving strict instruction to be called in off the street for 6.45 to listen to Dick Barton. and rushing home from school because I was following some fantasy serial on Children's hour.

In those days when radio was king there where some shows I would never miss. "The Goons", "Educating Archie","Jet Morgan", "Take it from here" and many many more great shows a thousand memories thanks to the BBC...

The Radio was a focal point in most homes then, can you remember your first one and your favorite Programs back then..

HI, I recall our first radio l think it was a Pye, l would be about 8yrs but l can't remember any programs, but it is over 80 yrs ago, it was semi triangular shape with a round grill with a pattern which always reminded me of trees with no leaves, maybe that was the intended pattern. As regards TV that was about 1950, my favourite prog; that was about a cosmetic surgeon who was called Dr Sava, and being retired he helped people with with his skills often without payment. Cheers Arfer Mo.

I remembered the comics of that era usually boys such as Hotsspur and the champion this was cos my cousins bought them and it was a delght to go to their house and put them in the right order and read about Wilson

hazel

I still listen to the radio and Sailing By brings back so many memories of times gone by some that are heartbraking others of joy

hazel

Hi Texas and grinder - I think Suzette Tarry could be a little smutty or risqu'e as they say, you don't have to be smart to figure out the connection to her signature tune and her act.

Never thought that , I mean I probably heard her on programs like " Variety band box " and as I remember her she was more of a Mr's Mop Type..

Mind you I suppose you could describe George Formby as risqué or smutty but it was way over my head back then..

---------- hey duffems your right about family favourites, we was either sat at the table having lunch or sat round the coal

fire. But as for the dandelion & burdock - i`am afraid it was

cold water at our house.

While on this thread can you tell me who sung

tumbling tumbleweed.

Marty Robins sang it.

Never thought that , I mean I probably heard her on programs like " Variety band box " and as I remember her she was more of a Mr's Mop Type..

Mind you I suppose you could describe George Formby as risqué or smutty but it was way over my head back then..

When you listen to Suzette Tarri's clever dialogue, I think she was more sophisticated than a Mrs Mop type grinder, I am trying to think of the guy who's act consisted of reciting ode's, 'here's an ode to this ,that and the other'. The dictionary defines an ode as 'a lyric poem marked by nobility of feeling and solemnity of style', he was on the radio and toured the music halls.

Edited by fleetwood
Additions and Omissions

I believe it was made originally by a U.S. group called, Sons of the Pioneers.

Marty Robins sang it.

I believe it was made originally by a U.S. group called, Sons of the Pioneers.

That's right , it was written by one of the band members Bob Nolan, another Original member of the band was Leonard Slye, WHO ?

Well Leonard Slye left to make a successful career in films, after he changed his name to Roy Rodgers...