London's bike hire scheme - could it work in Sheffield?

knowing sheffield all the bikes would get nicked within a week

Bus bike racks would be better. People would roll downhill in a morning and catch the bus back uphill with the bike.

After a days work in the centre and 10 pints, city rd is a devil to cycle up, at least until you get to the steep bit before at manor top, where road quality improves and you can pedal faster, even though is steeper.

Brilliant idea.

knowing sheffield all the bikes would get nicked within a week

Yes, of course a scheme could only possibly work in a crime-free area such as London :confused:

Seriously though....could it work is one question. Would it be used/is it needed is another?

I don't know, since there are few occasions where I would personally need to "borrow" a bike. The only time might be going to football, when I cycle to the train station, currently I lock my own bike at the station (my older road bike, not my "best" tourer or the "fancier-looking-than-it-is" MTB)

I suppose I could use a "Boris Bike" for the trip to town and back but only if there is a stand within a reasonable distance of my home.

The scheme in London is probably popular because of a need to get from one district to another quite regularly - maybe some people travel between offices often, things like that? Do people in Sheffield have the same need coupled with perhaps an inconvenience of using one's own bike?

I think it would be difficult for the scheme to work in Sheffield. Many people would pick up a bike at the top of the hill, freewheel down, and get the bus back. I imagine the redistribution of bikes would be constant, while in a flat area redistribution may not be needed to such an extent.

if they gave people free hire if they cycled a bike up a hill it might work.

London has more cycle lanes, i for one would not fancy cycling round Sheffield in the rush hour, would be nice to see Sheffield more bike friendly.

Edited by boleyngirl

It's good to discuss this and speculate on whether it would work in Sheffield, but, it has to be considered that London's scheme cost £140 million. Where would the money come from?

Hiya,

I recently went to blackpool for the weekend and when i went on the promenade they have the same idea:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/sep/15/blackpool-launches-cycle-hire-scheme

I tyhink its a really good idea, plus there is a government initiative

http://www.cyclescheme.co.uk/

Barclays put in £25 million of the £140 million for the London cycle scheme (hence why their logo is plastered over all the bikes etc)

I tyhink its a really good idea, plus there is a government initiative

http://www.cyclescheme.co.uk/

It's not a Government initiative. It's private companies exploiting a "loophole" in the way tax regulations are administered / interpreted. The Government have recently moved to clarify the tax position on these schemes and the potential tax savings now look to be somewhat lower.