Burngreave Cemetery information

Just been doing some research on the family history and have found a grave for a relative but there are several people in it who are not of the same name. The information says they were buried in a section with a grave number in consecrated ground but 2 of the people it says same section and grave number but buried in General ground. Has anyone got any ideas on how this could be or whether it could just be a mistake.

At Burngreave many of the sections letters are duplicated, they can either be consecrated or general ground. The burials will be in different graves if one is in consecrated ground and one is in general (unconsecrated) ground.

I came across the same problem and was told that if a family couldn't afford a grave they were put in a family grave that was not full and no longer in use. Whether this was at the time of the Flu epidemic in Sheffield and there were so many bodies to be buried I do not know.

Hope this helps.

I came across the same problem and was told that if a family couldn't afford a grave they were put in a family grave that was not full and no longer in use. Whether this was at the time of the Flu epidemic in Sheffield and there were so many bodies to be buried I do not know.

Hope this helps.

yep - can confirm this. My grandad died early '80's and grandma naturally wanted him in the family grave at Burngreave. She was told it was full and was shocked to find out that this is what happened - the family grave was full of strangers! :) - we had not used it for years but she still had the plot papers etc

I can remember at the time caused a major ruckus 'cus all the family (her mum and dad, sisters and brothers etc aunts uncles etc were buried around Bunrgreave so when the old dear went with flowers, which she did religiously every Sunday, she could do all her lost ones in one visit.

The problem was that Burngreave itself was full and accepting no more, so grandad was buried at City Road - that caused no end of inconvenience for gran.

We used to jump over the wall from De La Salle into the cemetery, for a crafty smoke

Just been doing some research on the family history and have found a grave for a relative but there are several people in it who are not of the same name. The information says they were buried in a section with a grave number in consecrated ground but 2 of the people it says same section and grave number but buried in General ground. Has anyone got any ideas on how this could be or whether it could just be a mistake.

http://www.friendsofburngreavecemetery.btck.co.uk

Try [posing your question on Sheffield Indexers site.

My grandmother was buried in this cemetery.Laura Louisa Tansley.When my mum died she wanted to be with her mum.The grave was owned by a Charlotte Charlesworth whom we do not know.

My grandmother was buried in this cemetery.Laura Louisa Tansley.When my mum died she wanted to be with her mum.The grave was owned by a Charlotte Charlesworth whom we do not know.[/quote ]

Its actually owned by the council not the Charlesworths and I have placed a cross in its position as a memoir to our Grandma

I did some family research and also found a few of my family in one grave along with other unknown people. I was told that this happened when families couldn't afford their own grave, so they were put in a grave with other people, but if they could then family were often tried to be put together if there was room for them in the grave at the time. I was told it was a poapers grave.

You would be right they are poapers graves many people in those days couldn't afford one so they were intered with unknown people also poapers. There is 11 people with my grandma in Burngreave and she was the last.

From a posting at SheffieldIndexers.com

These are the main three grave classification at City Road

"Purchased"

Normally all the burials in this type of grave were related to or at least known to, the grave owner as they had they had the say of who was buried there and as a result you are more likely to find a memorial on this type of grave.

"Common"

People purchased this type of grave for a specified number of burials ( for example,so husband and wife could be buried together ) then after the agreed amount of burials had taken place the grave was usually then re-sold to other (usually unrelated) families until the graves capacity was reached. It is quite rare for this type of grave to have a memorial

"Margin"

These plots were usually (but not always) reserved for stillborn and neo-natal deaths, as a result, the number of burials in this classification of grave can be quite staggering. These can also be hard to locate as they run at 90 degrees to the standard plot lay-out and they rarely have any kind of memorial

If there are other family members in the plot it sounds like it would be a "Common grave". Paupers (where the cost of burial was not met by the deceased or his family) would normally be buried in the "Margin plots"