Is this classed as a obstruction of a highway?

Umm whether it's the law or not, surely common courtesy leads you to not park in front of someone's drive. What if they were having a visitor?

thats what i always thought (it was also me who had the big camper blocking 2 drives....it was a hire one as mine had been hit by drunk driver and i was told by the ins co to park it up safe and where it wasnt obstruciting owt so i pakred it outside 2 hours next to each other who never had cars or who had drives used, they called the cops but said it was parked legally...it was only there a few days cos the ins co as late collecting it)

Umm whether it's the law or not, surely common courtesy leads you to not park in front of someone's drive. What if they were having a visitor?

you dont seem to read everything do you:loopy:

I just don't understand where peoples common courtesy is these days, why can't people just be considerate in general? We moved from our last house because of the neighbours. Living next door to unreasonable, selfish and narrow minded people is so stressful. This is the sort of thing that escalates and creates bad feelings in communities.

I have had nothing but trouble with this neighbour, shes had many warnings and action for causing harrasment to me.

If that's the case, it was a bit of a daft thing to do surely?

If that's the case, it was a bit of a daft thing to do surely?

why? someone was blocking my drive so i parked outside next door. i didnt kick up a fuss that someone was blocking my drive. (which has my camper van on)

I always park outside houses with drives who i know dont use them or have cars, never someone who does use their drive as in my next door neighbour the other side....simple

X house, has drive, but no car, never uses drive in years, rarley a visitor in a car

Y house has car, couldnt get outside house, someone elses vehicle parked..so Y parks outside X as never use drive, have no car etc etc

X house fones police.....police come to Y and says cant park outside X house so shift it.

Now i know you cant block a drive if a car is parked in the drive......

whats the actual law for this please, sheff plod differs from what i was told 2 years ago and cant find any info ta

Why didn't Y ask X if it was ok to park the car in front of the drive.

If you ask me its just bad neighbourship and exemplifies the rude, arrogant and selfish attitude that people show to one and another

I agree it's unfair!! But I didn't say it was ILLEGAL I simply stated they were causing an obstruction.

I didn't mean to suggest that you thought it illegal - apologies for that it came across wrong :(

I believe the law has clauses in it which vary depending on what part of the country you live in and what the council ruling is. In London you can't park even if there isn't a car in the driveway. I sure the ruling for Sheffield is that you can park if the drive is empty but not if there is a car parked in it.

http://www.theanswerbank.co.uk/Motoring/Question309343.html

Nothing to say which is right, but I fancy the last two quotes on here.

There is no clause in law regarding parking across driveways AFAIK. It matters neither that the driveway is occupied, or vacant, it is not unlawful to do so, but it is simply disrespectful to the landowner.

The clauses to which you refer I believe are local directives, which in some cases enable the local council to act in the interest of its' coffers.

IIRC, I remember a case where access to a driveway was blocked by a vehicle, and the landowner called the Police. The Policeman in attendance, spoke to the owner of the vehicle at the landowners address, and suggested that as the he (Policeman) was responding to a call for help by a member of the public, and because access to that persons property was obstructed by the vehicle owner, that he was in fact obstructing a Police Officer in the normal course of his duties, which is an arrestable offence.

Of course, the vehicle owner removed the vehicle straight away! :hihi:

i had to park my car outside my next door neighbours, as a car was parked outside mine (this is yesterday) im Y by the way lol. X has never had a car, neither can drive, or have visitors that use the driveway....

Then earlier i got a knock on the door, a PCSO said i was blocking their drive (if they had actually looked, the car was back on my front, my car was parked outside next doors house for a few hours).

i told the pcso to get lost cos of her attitude so foned the police to make a complaint, then spoke to a inspector leake, who said i couldnt block any drive even if they didnt use it in 10 years etc etc

I have had nothing but trouble with this neighbour, shes had many warnings and action for causing harrasment to me.

I think you'd be as well to ask Inspector Leake to explain, in writing, exactly which law you have broken, as I'm sure that you're only obstructing if somebody has a car on the driveway and you block them in.

If your neighbour is a pain, the chances are the police have had other complaints from her before and chose to be liberal with their interpretation of the law because they didn't want her going on at them!!

Edited by Dozy

I think you'd be as well to ask Inspector Leake to explain, in writing, exactly which law you have broken, as I'm sure that you're only obstructing if somebody has a car on the driveway and you block them in.

If you're neighbour is a pain, the chances are the police have had other complaints from her before and chose to be liberal with their interpretation of the law because they didn't want her going on at them!!

I asked him for reference to exactly the law and he wouldnt, said i could go down and see him...which i will take up.

She is a crazy neighbour, shes well known but i wasnt being spoke too like i was from the pcso which is why i called them to find out how to make a complaint.

she put a note through my door early (hand written) but stating tomorrow someone was coming to visit her (which i took to mean thur even though she had written yesterdays date on) anyway my car wasnt outside her house when she had visitors (and in the letter said they wanted to use the drive, which they didnt anyway cos i took a foto) her mother comes once a month and never parks on the drive anyway....

She has a folder full of complaints and told to behave and on her last warning.

I just wanted to know exactly what law it was, so i can present it. i didnt park out of spite outside her house, i did it cos someone was parked outside my house....and it was the closest place to park without actually blocking a drive that is actually used.

so why couldn't you find a space that wasn't across someones drive and walk a bit further?

so why couldn't you find a space that wasn't across someones drive and walk a bit further?

ummmmm cos every house has a drive??:loopy: anything useful to say regarding the origonal question??