Identifying Plants

Can anyone please advise the best 'Plant Identifier' book to buy, I would prefer it in hardback, therefore, will pay up to £40.

Many thanks.

Are you specifically looking at wild plants or cultivated ones?

If you are keen on learning the latin names then I would go for the RHS Plant Finder. Other than that, I would go for the 'Expert' series (Dr D G Hessayon)

I have recently got a mature garden and have found loads of really good gardening and plant identifying books in charity shops, some I liked some I didn't but got loads to choose from for a fraction of the new price.

Hi Rioja,

Thanks for your reply, Cultivated Plants. A Birthday gift for my son who is studying Horticulture.

Regards.

Hayley1 thank you.

Would I find RHS & Expert series in Waterstones, do you know?

Regards.

Hi Rioja,

Thanks for your reply, Cultivated Plants. A Birthday gift for my son who is studying Horticulture.

Regards.

It could be a good idea to check the reading lists provided by his college. It's likely that they will recommend specific texts.

Steely

What a great idea, will certainly use your suggestion for myself, do you have a fave Charity Shop?

On this occasion it's a gift for my son, so want it to be a bit 'special',

Regards.

I've just looked at Waterstones online, and yes you should be able to get them from Waterstones.

I would try the RHS A-Z not the Plant Finder as this is purely a list of plants and suppliers not pictures. look at Amazon for alternative sources. Visit the RHS website as well and go in their shop.

ah...I think that might be the one I meant snowdrop! Silly me. Yes, that's the fella. A huge tome. :D