Laser eye surgery......

Thanks everyone for your responses, and if anyone else has any further real life experiences I'd appreciate reading them.

Thanks again

I had new artificial lenses put in my eyes on the NHS.

The first eye, the surgery was done at Claremont, although it was on the NHS and cost me nothing.

The second eye was done in the Hallamshire.

It was obvious the equipment in the Hallamshire was more modern and superior to Claremont.

Both op's were a great success.

I know before you've had it done you think how can they operate on your eyes under a local anaesthetic.

But I can assure you you don't feel a thing.

Go for the new lens surgery.

I had new artificial lenses put in my eyes on the NHS.

The first eye, the surgery was done at Claremont, although it was on the NHS and cost me nothing.

The second eye was done in the Hallamshire.

It was obvious the equipment in the Hallamshire was more modern and superior to Claremont.

Both op's were a great success.

I know before you've had it done you think how can they operate on your eyes under a local anaesthetic.

But I can assure you you don't feel a thing.

Go for the new lens surgery.

Thanks Dick. For my left eye replacement lense will be the only choice the astigmatism is so bad. How did you get new lenses on NHS, if yuo don't mind me asking?

Yes, I had lens replacement surgery by Mr Edwards at Royal Hallamshire Hospital and the results are wonderful. I still need reading glasses but that's no problem.

I believe surgery is available that deals with both long and short distance, doing away with the need for reading glasses, but Mr Edwards advised against it in my case, and it's always wise to listen to the experts.

Yes, I had lens replacement surgery by Mr Edwards at Royal Hallamshire Hospital and the results are wonderful. I still need reading glasses but that's no problem.

I believe surgery is available that deals with both long and short distance, doing away with the need for reading glasses, but Mr Edwards advised against it in my case, and it's always wise to listen to the experts.

I used to work for Mathew Edwards and Mathew Raynor, who are both corneal surgeons at the Hallamshire, they both also do laser in the vision centre, and have private practices. The eye department is one of only a few in England, and gets nationwide referrals as a department of excellence.

Edited by trackrunner

Thanks Dick. For my left eye replacement lense will be the only choice the astigmatism is so bad. How did you get new lenses on NHS, if yuo don't mind me asking?

My cataracts were getting pretty bad so the GP referred me to the eye clinic at the Hallamshire.

There was a 10 week wait.

They did the necessary tests and the consultant recommended replacement lenses.

The op takes about half an hour.

They put drops in to anaesthetise and a gadget to stop you blinking and you really don't feel a thing.

Things were a bit blurry the first day but the next day the result is unbelievable.

The most striking thing is the brilliance of colours.

I hadn't realised how bad my eyes had got until I had the op.

I don't need glasses for reading or distance.

More or less by accident I've now got long sight in one eye and short sight in the other.

Nothing was ever said about money.

I just presumed it was like any other op on the NHS.

My cataracts were getting pretty bad so the GP referred me to the eye clinic at the Hallamshire.

There was a 10 week wait.

They did the necessary tests and the consultant recommended replacement lenses.

The op takes about half an hour.

They put drops in to anaesthetise and a gadget to stop you blinking and you really don't feel a thing.

Things were a bit blurry the first day but the next day the result is unbelievable.

The most striking thing is the brilliance of colours.

I hadn't realised how bad my eyes had got until I had the op.

I don't need glasses for reading or distance.

More or less by accident I've now got long sight in one eye and short sight in the other.

Nothing was ever said about money.

I just presumed it was like any other op on the NHS.

Thanks for that. I've heard other people say how fantastic colours are post-op

---------- Post added 19-08-2014 at 13:55 ----------

There's an eye surgery clinic at Meadowhall. A bit funny in a shopping centre but I had mine done here and am very happy with the results!

http://www.opticalexpress.co.uk/store/sheffield-meadowhall-centre-the-gallery.html

I'm going there for an assessment as well as Sheffield Vision Centre. Did you have laser or replacement lenses?

Yeah had Lasik with Intralase wavefront. I had a good recommendation from a friend here, dont know about the other place. The consultation was free too :thumbsup:

Im really happy with results sooooo good not having to wear glasses and contacts cant even tell you.

Yeah had Lasik with Intralase wavefront. I had a good recommendation from a friend here, dont know about the other place. The consultation was free too :thumbsup:

Im really happy with results sooooo good not having to wear glasses and contacts cant even tell you.

I'm really excited at the prospect of 'new eyes'!

Has anyone got any experience of Optimax? They're the 3rd place I'm considering and they're now offering the Symfony lense which is the next generation by the sound of it.

All replies welcomed. Thanks

I'd like to wave my thread necromancy wand over this.

Has anyone had "laser" eye treatment recently and not 8 years ago? Was it good? Was it painful? Have you had it done 8 years ago and now need it doing again?

Opines?

My sister had her eyes done 2 years ago, at the same centre in Leeds that was mentioned in the OP. The results were great initially but she now has to wear glasses for distance as well as close work again and is considering a repeat procedure.

The one thing that she said was that the information that was given out at the start of the process was insufficient and didn't prepare her for how painful it was all going to be. As a result of not being prepared she had originally planned to go and return by herself in a taxi but once through the procedure she couldn't open one eye because of pain, couldn't bear even dim light and couldn't see at all on day one, so would have been unable to go home by taxi and had to call me to dash up there and get her home. She would also have been unable to put in her own eye drops on day one (they didn't make that clear either).

By the end of day one things were much better, but had they made it clearer that she would need someone with her and someone to be around for drops and painkillers etc at home she would have been less unprepared. Even little things like she'd thought to leave the curtains closed at home before leaving but when I got her home it was still way too bright for her to cope with, so I had a dash round and fixed blankets over the curtains in one room to make it really dark so she could lie and rest properly without the pain. When they say that you'll appreciate darkness for after the procedure, what they really mean is proper darkness, not just daylight with the curtains closed, and you'll need eye drops every hour on the first day and painkillers, so if you don't have someone to do those for you then you'll struggle.