Laser eye surgery......

A good mate of mine is an optometrist and he says only go for it if your below 45 unless you have disposable income as you will more than likely require glasses in the next ten years anyway as your eyes deteriorate.

Im just waiting till i finish Uni (only 6 weeks wooo) and then getting them done whatever the price.

I had mine done in 2007, think I paid almost £3000. It was the best money I've ever spent, my sight was terrible - something like a -8.00 prescription. I understand I may need it done again in he future. Mine was v straight forward but I do know someone who ad lots n lots of problems, I guess that's the risk you take

I had mine done at vision express in meadowhall in Feb. Still not quite 20/20 but well worth it. My prescription was -4.5 and -4.75 with a stigmatism.

Initially quoted nearly 5K for both eyes even with their vouchers so wasn't interested.

Then got an offer out of the blue for £2013 in jan for both eyes, no catches and could get 0% on it.

So went for it. Had it done at about 5pm and was really uncomfortable till about 11pm and then i could see well enough to see a film to take my mind off the grittiness.

They do feel dry at times (only had it done for 6 weeks now) but far less than when i was wearing contact lenses. I had a check up in the week and the fella said the dryness can take a year to clear and sometimes takes few months for the eyesight to settle down and if not up to scratch they perform free followups. With my presription I have a 6% chance of it not being quite right.

All in all I think it is fantastic and highly recommend it if you can get a good deal.

Edited by JohnnyBoy

Can it be done on the N.H.S. or is it classed as cosmetic surgery?

AFAIK you have to pay for it yourself. The NHS don't pay for glasses for the majority of people do they?

---------- Post added 19-03-2013 at 19:06 ----------

I don't know where they get the £650 price from. I think it must be a con. I decided to stick with spectacles.

It's for the simplest procedure... There are several different techniques, the £650 one is the oldest, riskiest version, the newer versions require more advanced machines, but basically they can charge more because they're more advanced. I doubt it actually costs them anymore in terms of surgeons time.

I had something like Lasik with laser mapping and 'tissue saver', from memory and 4 years ago, so I could have got the details a bit wrong.

I had eye surgery done in Leeds in 2009, before i was happy chap with a brill sense of humour, after the eye surgery i started to suffer with severe dry eye,

This as ruined my life, i have quit my job of 15 years and still my eyes are bad, i can only watch tv for an hour and my eyes become blurry, i suffer with dry , grittiness, burning eyes, the main office in Scotland have sent me all over the country even London where i had lipiflo.

Now Optical Express are now refusing to pay my expenses for fuel as i have to get someone to drive me there, which disgusts me, as part of signing on the dotted line and taking my money and we will give you lifetime guarrentee, seems like they have written me off, the last time i spoke with i think is name was stephen Hanley from head office who said we pay by each mile and now have said there not paying, i am now looking into legal action against OE so will keep you all up dated

Really sorry to hear you've had such a bad experience and how it's affected your life so negatively. Sounds terrible!

I didn't go ahead with eye surgery before, but have been seriously thinking about it again, so your story has made me think twice ... again.

Thanks for sharing your experiences, and let us know how the legal action goes. In the meantime, I do hope you can find some relief for your eyes somewhere.

When i went for my free consultation, i was told my eyes would 20/20 and out of 100% 99% case's are succesful , i was that 1%, that went wrong I was quoted over £3000 to have it done , i decided no thanks, but they were pestering me all the time by constant emails and phoning me on my mobile telling me i could get it done cheaper at £2000, if i knew someone who worked for the councel, so i went for it,

It was the biggest mistake i have ever made in my life, what a fool i was , i never did my home work, sitting there in Opitical Express looking at the famous golfer who had it done and pitures of astranauts on the wall, what a con.

I am a different person to what i was, i should have stuck to my glasses, before i went into surgery, i was seen by the surgen who was going to do the lazer treatment and told me everything would be fine, i asked him if it is that good why are you wearing glasses, he just laughed, i should have got up and walked out then.

To any one who is thinking about having this done, first ask your own doctor then do some research, ignore the false TV ads, there actors !!!!

Also for me and others who meet at OE, on certain days they do the opp and other days they see the ones it did not work out on, in other words they do not want us all there on the same day as we would warn them , Don't do it.

I have never gone back to see the surgen who did my opp in Leeds, OE just send me all over the country to see others ?? and now they have told me i won't get my costs for fuel as they still owe me from last year,

So thats your life time guarentte.

I had eye surgery done in Leeds in 2009, before i was happy chap with a brill sense of humour, after the eye surgery i started to suffer with severe dry eye,

This as ruined my life, i have quit my job of 15 years and still my eyes are bad, i can only watch tv for an hour and my eyes become blurry, i suffer with dry , grittiness, burning eyes, the main office in Scotland have sent me all over the country even London where i had lipiflo.

Now Optical Express are now refusing to pay my expenses for fuel as i have to get someone to drive me there, which disgusts me, as part of signing on the dotted line and taking my money and we will give you lifetime guarrentee, seems like they have written me off, the last time i spoke with i think is name was stephen Hanley from head office who said we pay by each mile and now have said there not paying, i am now looking into legal action against OE so will keep you all up dated

Really sorry to hear you've had such a bad experience and how it's affected your life so negatively. Sounds terrible!

I didn't go ahead with eye surgery before, but have been seriously thinking about it again, so your story has made me think twice ... again.

Thanks for sharing your experiences, and let us know how the legal action goes. In the meantime, I do hope you can find some relief for your eyes somewhere.

Just to present the other side of the coin, I had mine done in early May 2008 at the same place and haven't had a problem since. Still have perfect vision as of my last eye test (last month).

Unfortunately, like any surgery there are risks and these were explained to me before I had the surgery (for me it was IOL).

Fortunately my eye op was very successful and I have had no problems.

Sometimes we accept those risks because the company state that they will look after you if anything goes wrong.

I really do hope Optical Express do the right thing by you and bring matters to a satisfactory conclusion.

On a different note I have just had a call from OE this morning asking how my sight was and if I had any problems.this a year after my op!

My son had his op cancelled by them for medical reasons. I have been trying for over a month to get my £1,895 back. Customer service is appalling. The department is always "busy" and no-one ever rings back. Having said that the staff in Meadowhall were excellent.

I had my eyes lasered by Optimax in September 2008 when I was 23 - by March 2010 I was back in glasses with a very similar prescription to what I had before my eyes were lasered.

I chose the 'gold' package at Optimax which included wavefront for night vision assistance etc etc etc which cost just over £4000 and when I contacted them about my eyesight and went back for further tests their explanation was 'it's just one of those things' and said it could have been due to my age.....I felt this was a complete cop out as I had had a stable prescription for years (as they insist) and was in very good health in every other way.

I have been backwards and forwards in between times and they offered to re-do the surgery for free when I'm 30, but I would have to have a different procedure, as the option I chose first time round can only be done once.....so I'm now very undecided about what to do, and reading some of these comments I'm thinking of just sticking with glasses!!

I would stick to glasses, if something goes wrong there is no turning back, i wish i could go back to how i was, when i last went for my check up, i just get the same old creams and i told they don't work, even down to London for Lipiflo that did not work.

My eyes feel like i am on the beach and sand as got into them , you will know the feeling , i have that now 24/7

I think for some who have the surgery like Monkey104 and as no problems thats fine, but when they tell you its a life guarantte to look after you and get told your not entitled to expensies i think they have broke there aggrement.

---------- Post added 28-03-2014 at 13:07 ----------

Here we go again OE have made me an oppointment in Manchester and i need someone to drive me there, i have been going there ever since i had my treatment done in Leeds in 2009 and they have covered my expenises by the mile, now they have told me there not paying my expensies and said they never had , i told them i would get a bank statement but was told they don't cover travel for that distance, ( rubbish ) the point i am making there guarentee if any thing went wrong they would look after me for life thats if i did not go and see another optichan which i have not, so they have broke there aggreement , i asked to speak to the head manager but he was busy, i think is name is Stephen Hanley, i am now thinking off seeking legal advise, so be aware of the there life time guarentee.

---------- Post added 03-04-2014 at 16:39 ----------

Well what can i say, I had an oppointment to attend OE in Leeds today, got there, the store had closed down, i went into the next shop , and she said to me lots come into the shop asking where they have moved to, There was no notice on the door to say where they have moved to, so i ended up ringing them, i still could not find where they were, so i rang them again and told them i had given up and was going home , i had no letter or directions, just a phone call from there office.

He said he would call me back at 4o'clock and i have not heard a thing. :angry: