Sign in to follow this  

Use old PS3 HDD in new console?

My PS3 died this weekend, and it was mid game so I had no chance to back up any data. My replacement from Sony is arriving tomorrow, and its the exact same model. I'm just wondering if anyone knows if I can just plug the HDD from the old unit into the new one and access all my saves, downloads etc? I've tried to google but am currently at work and the filter is rather strict!

Thanks for any help :)

If its the same model you shouldn't have an issue doing that!

PS3 HDD's only work with the unit they were signed with during formatting. So, if you don't get back the exact same PS3 you sent them to fix you've lost all your data.

Unfortunately, Logic3 is right :( I was cheeky and kept the HDD from my old PS3 when I sent it off. Put it in the new console and it wouldn't let me touch it without formatting. At least I found out how to redownload all my PSN stuff!

You can clone the drive using a PC though, plug them both into a PC (with SATA) and use a drive cloner... it doesnt affect the start (boot) track (which is what the PS3 uses to identify the drive) but all your saves, settings, and files etc will remain...