Anyone go Hiking to Castleton in the fifties?

As lads in the 50s we used to catch the train on Heeley bottom to Hope and then walk to Castleton..

We called it "Hiking" and we wore the big boots and the rucksacks to prove it,

we even had a primus stove to warm our tins of beans up, But really we were just chasing the girls..

So the highlight of the day was when the driver turned the lights out in the Totley tunnel on the way home...

Edited by grinder

We must have led parallel lives - you described our "hiking" trips exactly.

We used to open the windows whilst going through Totley tunnel as we thought it better with the carriage full of smoke. Also spent time at Stoney Middleton climbing on the "windy ledge" and thought we were pro mountain climbers. Wouldn't dare go up there now though.

A Sunday afternoon Hike in the 50s, I couldn't imagine walking half that distance now,let alone the thought of walking all that way back, we didn't wear any special shoes , we would start walking past Rivelin Valley and just kept on going, no idea where it let to in the end :)

I would,nt call it hiking!! but boiled egg sandwiches,Tizer and if you were

lucky big old Eveready battery radio,visit Bluejohn caves then up the pass

below Pevril Castle trying to discover why girls needed so many petticoats

to wear to a picnic?????

to wear to a picnic?????

Petticoats :hihi: you must have hung around with some posh girls, we wore bottle green knickers.

As lads in the 50s we used to catch the train on Heeley bottom to Hope and then walk to Castleton..

We called it "Hiking" and we wore the big boots and the rucksacks to prove it,

we even had a primus stove to warm our tins of beans up, But really we were just chasing the girls..

So the highlight of the day was when the driver turned the lights out in the Totley tunnel on the way home...

We used to do the same going, and stay the night st the YHA hostel, but we'd hike back all the way on Sunday.:)

to wear to a picnic?????

That pass below Peveril Castle is called Cavedale. We used to climb up that way to the castle, risking life and limb to save paying. When you went into the keep, and climbed the stairs,there was a room with a "bum hole" in it which dropped whatever you were doing ( No.1 or No.2 ) down into the dale. Pretty smart those middle ages architects.:)

Back in the 40's we, (that is the Hayward Road mob) got into hiking. Some of us even attempted to walk across Kinderscout. I remember we got talking to a real hiker, he had a rucksack and proper boots, and we were really impressed. Next time out I'd got a pair of ex army boots complete with tricorn nails and those special gizmoes that are used for ice climbing. I nailed them myself and they got clogged up with peat and mud beautifully.

We did get across Kinder from Rowland Cote and finished up in Hayfield. Got back to Sheffield via bus and train from Chinley, I think. Man, we were knackered, thing is we were only twelve or thirteen years old.

I remember another time, me and Jack Best had got into the Y.H.A by then and we stayed at Rowland Cote hostel overnight into Sunday. There was nobody else in the place and the Sunday morning the guy in charge told me to just sweep the room out. I was dead keen and doing a good job and in a corner I found a ten bob note. Ten bob! I'd never had that much money in my life. It went into the sky pretty quick I'll tell you.

Honesty didn't come into it. I'm as opportunistic as the next man. When we'd got on the road I couldn't resist showing Jack my semi ill gotten gaines, and the ten bob was promptly snatched from my fingers by a fairly stiff breeze. Jack was up and running, but he wasn't fast enough and I got it back, but I got very mucky in the process. Now it only remains for somebody to say they lost ten bob at Roland Cote youth hostel in 1946.

We used to catch the bus to Lodge Moor, then walk over Stannage down to Hathersage.

All for the train ride through Totley Tunnel :)

Back in the 40's we, (that is the Hayward Road mob) got into hiking. Some of us even attempted to walk across Kinderscout. I remember we got talking to a real hiker, he had a rucksack and proper boots, and we were really impressed. Next time out I'd got a pair of ex army boots complete with tricorn nails and those special gizmoes that are used for ice climbing. I nailed them myself and they got clogged up with peat and mud beautifully.

We did get across Kinder from Rowland Cote and finished up in Hayfield. Got back to Sheffield via bus and train from Chinley, I think. Man, we were knackered, thing is we were only twelve or thirteen years old.

I remember another time, me and Jack Best had got into the Y.H.A by then and we stayed at Rowland Cote hostel overnight into Sunday. There was nobody else in the place and the Sunday morning the guy in charge told me to just sweep the room out. I was dead keen and doing a good job and in a corner I found a ten bob note. Ten bob! I'd never had that much money in my life. It went into the sky pretty quick I'll tell you.

Honesty didn't come into it. I'm as opportunistic as the next man. When we'd got on the road I couldn't resist showing Jack my semi ill gotten gaines, and the ten bob was promptly snatched from my fingers by a fairly stiff breeze. Jack was up and running, but he wasn't fast enough and I got it back, but I got very mucky in the process. Now it only remains for somebody to say they lost ten bob at Roland Cote youth hostel in 1946.

I want my ten bob back! With interest that's one million two hundred thousand pounds. I take Visa and MasterCard or American Exoress.:)

We went camping a couple of times at Edale, the most uncomfortable nights I think I've ever spent in my life !!!

It was round about then I came to the conclusion I was a city boy...

All we took off were our boots,but even in a sleeping bag I was still freezing and I never knew the ground could be that hard..

Then to cap it all one night a cat got into the tent, to be woken up in the pitch black at 3.o'clock in the night by something with sharp claws creeping up your leg is not to be recommended....:shocked:

Edited by grinder

Anyone remember those caves at Stoney Middleton. At least I think it was Stony Middleton, or it could've been Eyam. They were on a low scarp and you could really frighten yourself crawling thro'.