Stupid Sheffield Police Story - Sheffield Star 20.8.10

Called to an incident but then stood down as the problem had been sorted in the meantime?

Possibly, but this took all of thirty seconds and it was very convient that the incident started when they were behind a line of slow moving traffic and finished just as they had gone past it. Funny that.

Quite possible - once a call comes through then all cars in the district attempt to respond, once the call handler confirms a car has arrived on the scene then the others are stood down. Jeez, people moan when police don't respond then moan when they do - no pleasing some.

So a car arrived at the incident within 30 seconds? This took the space of driving from Don Valley House to the junction by Lookers at high speed.

So are you saying that police are currently searching homes for the burglar? Where did you get that from? Because apart from that I think what you're suggesting is bang on but should read a little more like 'not paying that much attention to the poster maker while issuing a press release asking for further information on break in and reminding people that breaking into places is illegal'.

Can I ask from your sarky comment, what exactly do you find so laughable or undesirable about the police asking for more information about break ins?

I have no idea what the Police are doing about the burglaries, but everyone else seems to have jumped to the conclusion they're ignoring those crimes and solely focussing the entire of the South Yorkshire Police on finding who is making these posters, which I don't believe for a moment.

I don't find anything laughable about asking for information about the break ins. I was trying to pose the question that would other posters prefer the police to be investigating the burglaries properly, while just casually asking the press to ask for information about the poster campaign - taking up one officers time for about 10 minutes - which is what I believe is happening - or not to investigate either, but spending 10 minutes asking the press to ask for information on the burglaries, which is what everyone else seems to think they should be doing.

The whole argument is completely invalid as soon as you realise these are two seperate crimes, and will both have different priorities attached. The results of those different priorities will not always have the same amount of publicity. Do people really expect the Police to give a full blown press release for every incident they investigate, and do people really expect the radio stations / tv / newspapers will publish every one?

This poster making crime can be pretty much sown up by just reminding people that it's illegal, and the person making the posters is likely (at worst) to get a wrist slapping and warned not to do it again. Just doing a press release reminding the public that it's illegal, and ask for information on who's making them so they can administer the wrist slapping seems like a fair and considerate response to me. How people then draw the conclusion that they are doing nothing about any other crime while they hunt for this poster maker is beyond me - but this thread proves it has happened.

What about the (hypothetical) broken down motorist who trying to find a phone to ring for help who find's the Martin house first, and not only nearly breaks their ankle when they open the door of the apparently deserted farmhouse because of the hole dug out on the other side of the door, but then get chased and shot at by an angry old man who doesn't care what he shoots at as long as he gets a kill.

You can do what you have to in self defence, but that does not ever give you the excuse to shoot someone in the back when they're running away.

Oh, and being from rural Norfolk, and knowing several policemen from there, I know for a fact they were amongst the first people to acknowledge that more should have been done to stop the shot burglars before Martin got to them, but with the resources they have available they're (still) very limited in what they can do. I'll let you guess their feelings about the governments plans to scrap the seperate Norfolk, Suffolk and Cambridgeshire police forces and have one single force in order to improve efficiency and save money, but I can assure you it's not because they think they're authority is being undermined.

On a seperate note, since the person who's putting these posters up dislikes criminals so much, maybe he should be putting posters up of himself as he's currently breaking the law too?

Maybe he did shoot someone running away. They were running away as they shouldnt have been there. They were theives. I do not understand this defence of criminals. They deserved to get shot at as they were trespassing on someone elses property.

It seems that those that comit the real crimes get protection. Yet decent people trying to protect themselves as is the case of this poster person is seen as the worst criminal going.

The little **** that burgled my house walked past my house yesterday!!! The police say they cant find him??? I just did!!! Of course he was gone before the police came. What a joke, his photo should be put up for all to see as hes done loads of crime round my area!!! :(

Maybe he did shoot someone running away. They were running away as they shouldnt have been there. They were theives. I do not understand this defence of criminals. They deserved to get shot at as they were trespassing on someone elses property.

It seems that those that comit the real crimes get protection. Yet decent people trying to protect themselves as is the case of this poster person is seen as the worst criminal going.

No, they're getting the same protection as anyone else - you do not gain the right to murder someone because they stepped on your lawn, and rightly so. You seem to be doing quite well at defending the criminal Tony Martin - not only did he unlawfully kill someone while they were running for their life, he did so with an illegally held unlicenced weapon. I do not subscribe to the idea of if someone committs a crime against you, you should get a free pass to committ any crime you wish against them.

And where have the police said this poster maker is the worst criminal going? Or that they're protecting the burglar? How do you know the Police are spending any time at all investigating the poster maker, apart from removing posters they find when they drive past on other duties, and making a press release? I'm sure if they wanted to find the poster maker, they could have done pretty quickly.

You should check your facts before jumping in... The posters were indeed posted on Commonside, I saw them. One by the Springvale, one by the Closed Shop. There may have been more. As to the rest of your comments I dont know, so will not speculate...

According to The Star, South Road and Greenhow Road (I think they mean Greenhow Street) are in Commonside. I saw these posters on Greenhow Street and South Road in Walkley on Tuesday morning so I guess that's why I'm confused.

Actually I only mentioned Commonside, as was quoted in the article.

I know you did, see above for why I seem confused?

Also the article doesn't say the posters went up on Greenhow Road at all. They spoke to someone called Peter Fowlston who lives on Greenhow Road about anti-social behaviour he'd witnessed. It might be a good idea to READ posts and READ stories before coming up with conspiracy theories, like?

I wouldn't call it a conspiracy theory, I'm just trying to get my head around a shabby bit of journalism, like you said it's a silly story.

Edited by Stan Tamudo

The little **** that burgled my house walked past my house yesterday!!! The police say they cant find him??? I just did!!! Of course he was gone before the police came. What a joke, his photo should be put up for all to see as hes done loads of crime round my area!!! :(

Exactly, most people around where they live know who is who, and what they get up to. We had our and next door neighbors car's broken into and robbed of the sterio's, we had it all on camera,the police even pulled the culprits, unfortunatly they had by then got rid of all the evidence.

So off the police go quite happy with the recording, got them all in the police station, they knew it was them ,we knew it was them, but the cps wouldn't take it any further as the footage was a little fuzzy.

Even the police couldn't believe it nor could we, so yes I would quite happily if I knew for certain it was the culprits, I would post pictures of them all over.

I suppose as our social and legal is framework designed to allow wealthy people to get away with theft it's only fair the scrotes should be allowed to get away with it too.

It must be hard being a police officer, stuck in the cop shop all day with all that paper work - The daily Sport, the Sun, I've heard that up in CID they even have the Daily Mirror, though that's only a rumour. I think they should take a break and get out in the fresh air once in a while, they could even take a mate with them so they'd have someone to talk to.

Despite the police apparently doing the sum total of FA about this they've decided to appeal through the paper for the poster maker to be caught and information about them sent to them and they are stressing that they 're 'treating this matter seriously and we are making enquiries to identify whoever is responsible for distributing the posters'.

Are the police cracking down on flyposters or just people who point out how utterly USELESS they are at the job?

if the latter, it's an interesting choice of priorities.

Perhaps if burglars/rapists/knife-wielding nutjobs etc. were to publicly criticize the police, the USELESS oafs might be spurred on to take some kind of action.

I suppose as our social and legal is framework designed to allow wealthy people to get away with theft it's only fair the scrotes should be allowed to get away with it too.

So you're advocating we should live in a country with a society that allows theft at all, and any level!

I knew there was a reason that I hate this country and especially the laws that govern it! Bring back the workshouse if this is the road that we are saying it's acceptable to go down!