Anyone here from the old Music Hire Group

On 23/09/2017 at 23:33, DaveBarson said:

I worked originally in the Banbury workshop around 1972 and then I moved to Cricklewood where I met Maurice.

Hi Tonywentworth here anybody there

My secret is out thanks to Dave B, I did work at Banbury and then Willenhall, West Midlands when Banbury was closed even did a short spell in Cricklewood. I do remember you Tony W as well as Dave B.  I could recall quite a few names but not sure if its allowed to mention names without permission.  Certainly recall pulling out a few pianos and replacing them with Juke Boxes, such as the Rowe Ami L200, ugly beast that and the N200 and M200,  I do recall all the names listed by RustyNuts, although I do not know who RustyNuts is?

I do recall a NSM Consul160, it came in a wooden cabinet similar to the Wurlitzer Tarock, although all I can remember was that the NSM was a rack carraige as opposed to a carousel, with turntable vertically mounted that ran up and down the rack to find the the selected record.  Fix one today, not a chance sorry blackydog.

Last time I saw you Tony W, is when you had moved back to Leeds to work in the prestigious Horsforth Mill. I recall being sent to Leeds Polytechnic to learn about logic as Barcrest was making an impact to the industry by then. Not that I ever got let loose on one to repair.  I did get to repair MM1 amps though which was the first solid state amp fitted to a Rowe Ami Juke Box.  Having said that, haven't you just got to love the sound from a valve amp and the bass enclosure of an old Rowe Ami juke box?

Things I like about MHG,  Football Tables,  Pool Tables, Pin Tables cause I could play them for free, things I hated  was the H200 hideaway, H200 chrome wall boxes and driving a 100 miles to remove a warped record taken fom a collectors car, that had been left to melt in the sun.

Favourite Juke Box, not the MM1 although this had style as well as the Cadette and not the R84 which I think had the new electronic Search Unit by then, but hasn't it got to be the Continental, which if I recall correctly took pride and place in Dave B, dad's pub?

I left MHG in the R84 era to work in comsumer electronics. 

I worked for M H G  for 12 years in willenhall. Always remember Vic Wills, who went on to become a manager. There was Martin Tracy in the workshop with me and a lad from my school known as Dude.

Hi Tony. Just come accross this site. I was at MHG Leeds up to 1972. Just celebrated my 50th wedding anniversary today. Got a R I 5 in perfect order in dining room. Came from MHG. Worked with you, John Farrand, Alex Hook, Keith Best, Martin Deuce, Frank Tatterton to name a few. Happy days. Hope all ok.

Peter Wadsworth

Tonywentworth Hi everybody thanks for all your great replies Anybody remember anybody else who worked for music hire group Leeds or Banbury Clive chambers, Bob grant .pam maker Nigel green ken walkerdine etc I live in Harrogate North Yorkshire now John Farrand has lived in California for 20 years as atop ceo in the film industry now retired now 

Hi Peter lovely to here from you mabe we could get together some time and talk about old times take care Tony

I didn't work in the Sheffield depot but I was a field engineer for them back in the 70's servicing fruit machines and juke boxes. Worked out of a depot in Newark and sometimes came as far north as Sheffield, worksop, and as I remember, Leeds once or twice.

What happened to the company, looks like it is shut now?