Anyone here from the old Music Hire Group

Hi There

Anyone in the forum work for Music Hire in Gibralter Street around 1969-1971.

I was in the workshop until moved to the London workshop in the Summer of 1971.

Maurice

I was there around that time Maurice. Can remember some some of the characters but not by name. Perhaps you ould jog my memory? They employed women for cash collection with specially fitted cash boxes in their cars. I had an interesting time as a field service "engineer". Met some real characters whilst servicing the pubs. Some of them were addicted to the machines I'm sure.

Hi Buster

Like you most of the names have long gone but I can remember Bud Mawsom (spelling?) who was the manager of the depot. He did not like to wear a jacket and was eventually sacked for not wearing one.

The building was an old pub (Greyhound?) and there were 4 or 5 of us who did the fruit machines/pin tables and Barry who did the Juke Boxes in another room.

I cannot remember our supervisors name but I think he moved to Rhodesia or South Africa in 1972.

Yes I remember the girl collectors as we sometimes went out with them if a lock was jammed or there was a dispute over the meters.

The field service guys we knew of course but they spent little time in the office during the day and of course you worked until closing time which we did not.

Do you remember in 1970 we suddenly got 3 pay rises within a month but were never told why, we all thought is was to do with the gaming licence MHG had to have to operate the fruit machines?.

In 1971 the firm cut back the workshop staff in Sheffield and I was offered the choice by head office (in Leeds) of moving to London or being made redundant. And was given 5 minutes to decide.

I ended up in London!. Never to return to live in Sheffield.

I stayed with Music Hire until 1975 and then went to work on aircraft electronics.

Hi There

Anyone in the forum work for Music Hire in Gibralter Street around 1969-1971.

I was in the workshop until moved to the London workshop in the Summer of 1971.

Maurice

I (Graham) worked in the workshop with you late 70's 'till August 71 Maurice. I remember you and Steve who I've also come across on Friends Reunited and then there were a couple of young likely lads Teeny and Bob was it?? Was the workshop manager George?

I started in the workshop then after the redundancies moved onto a dual role as installer/service engineer. I remember Vegas Ladies and Calvalier AWP's and setting up the reed switches on the reel mechs instead of studs ... nightmare!

I left to work for Associated Leisure/ Rank for 30 years and did ok ending up as a senior exec for the last 16 years, I still live local (ish) and now have a small IT business in Derbyshire.

I think my time at MHG Sheffield set me up well for a career in the Amusement business, let’s face it if you could survive there you could survive anywhere! :)

I worked originally in the Banbury workshop around 1972 and then I moved to Cricklewood where I met Maurice.

they had a few Renault 16s we used to service them at woodseats motors

Hi Maurice , Just come across this post, I remember you well,,,,Bud, Barry, Ken, Richard, Ted, Graham, George, Connie...I actually got the push, I serviced all the out of town equipment, sometimes travelling around 150+ miles per day therefore not taking as many calls as the other engineers,but that idiot Sullivan from Leeds didn't seem to understand the amount of rushing around I did and reckoned I wasn't pulling my weight,,hope your well,,,

Bas

I was based at the Lower Cherwell Street, Banbury dept for over 4 Years as a Installation Engineer . My supervisor was Eric Kimble (the Corporal ). Service Manager was Clive Chambers and in overall control was John Farrand . Workshop engineers were Dave Barson , Clive Mullard and A N Other . Apologise if I have missed any . Main Contracts were Whitbread's (Luton), Allied (Northampton) ,Everards (Leicester) , Wolverhampton and Dudley Breweries , Bass . Great job , Great people !

My dad william (Billy Grey)

worked for MHG he said his main office was in Leeds he worked i the stanley road liverpool

Paul Staunton and Tony Bacon worked in Lower Cherwell street as well. Tony Wentworth was second in command,I believe he was John Farrance brother in law. I used to go out installing with Les Warren a lot of the time, had some great times staying in Crest Hotels.

Anyone remember working on NSM jukeboxes? I have a Galaxy 200 I try to keep going. Won't play B sides anymore it just grinds to a halt. A sides Ok but play slow when it hasn't been used for a while, then normal after a few plays. Ta  

Hi tonywentworth here good to here from anybody music hire group in Banbury 1970.+

Spoiler

😀