Anybody work at Express Dairy on Broadfield Road in the 60's ?

Was it Reg Green or Joe Green?

Yes, it was Reg Green, (I think) he had a stiff finger on one of his hands caused by a cut from a milk bottle. He used to work as a night loader, but when I knew him he worked in the creamery making single/double cream, he would have been in his fifties in 1966. Another name I remember Eddie, who was a checker on the front dock. Eddie was Polish, I remember he used to sing all the time, one of his favourites was a Roy Orbison song "Pretty Woman" happy days.:)

Worked for Express a long time.Remember Chatsworth being built about 1947.

the cow went to Wythenshawe Manchester when bottling finished. Charlie was named after BOBO the clown,he worked with Farmer Harry from Totley.Polish Eddie said in the war he had 3 uniforms Polish,German and Russian.He wore whoever happened to be winning.I ran the fishing club along with Garry Watts

Edited by baz48
spelling error

I wonder if any of the posters on this thread was my milkman. I had a flat on Carterknowle Rd, and when I was decorating I mentioned to my milkman that I was dreading having to paint the very high ceiling.

This fantastic man volunteered to do it for me. He didn't want anything in return, and made a marvellous job of it.

Absolutely one of life's gentlemen. Thank you, I still remember your incredible generosity.

my sister Barbara worked in the labs also then.

I didn't work there but remember going round it on a school visit. I rember the cow in the window. I worked opposite the dairy at tyzacks.

do you recall anyone called ingrid working there possibly late 50's ?

I remember Express Dairy but I worked in the office at the Hillsborough branch in the fifties. My name then was Joan Rowland. It was an great place to work.

I worked as a roundsman for express dairy ( norton ) in the seventies, great place to work and great people to work with. Would love to hear from any friends that remember some truly brilliant times.

I worked there in school Hols and student vacs between 1962 and 1966. I worked variously in the cream dairy, back dock, bottle washing machines and front dock, oh and in the laboratory. The dairy manager was called Rev Fisher, a small red headed man who was hard but fair. I got the jobs because my father, Fred Bloomer, was the area retail manager. He worked at Broadfield Rd in the 40's and 50's, but by the 60's was based at Junction Rd retail HQ near Hunter's Bar. My mother, Doreen, worked as a senior clerk at Broadfield Rd in the 50's

I remember Rev Fisher. You're right, he was a decent bloke. Not much of a sense of humour though as I recall.

If there's anyone still out there that used to work there, do you know where I can get pics from from when it was a dairy, I work there now but it's a carpet factory, my boss is celebrating 30yrs in business, it'd be nice to give him pics inside and out from back then ,my email is robinaswift@googlemail.com if you can contact me direct as I don't come on here that often, thankyou x

I started working at the Dairy in 1972 as a driver, the Distribution manager was Arthur Whitehouse, is foremen were Jack Burkinshaw, Jack Spencer and Eric Knowles, I also remember all the other names mentioned in this thread, I also remember Arthur talking about yourself (Arthur Bell), when Arthur retired Eric Knowles became the Distribution Manager, and consequently when he retired I became the Distribution Manager, I was also the Distribution manager for Wakefield and Bradford at that time, Frank Mathews was the Transport Director, Tom Martin was the transport manager looking after the vehicles, and I reported to Doug Brown who was the regional Distribution Manager. Northern Dairies took over in 1985 and changed things to work under their system, eventually closing Broadfield Road altogether.

Hi,

My brother worked there in the 70's & he loved it Dave Freeman, sadly no longer with us but I can still remember the cow in the window & if memory serves a big picture of the queen?

Remember dave very well, he did the town round , nickname was shmo , great guy and a massive blade ( though I never held it against him )