Anybody work at Express Dairy on Broadfield Road in the 60's ?

The Express Dairy terminal which used to be on Broadfield Road was a very busy place in the 1960's.The lorries used were Commer 2 stroke diesels. They would really go, but we hard to stop. They used to go out into Derbyshire and pick up milk from dairy farms. The milke was then bottled in the Broadfield Road Dairy. I worked there from 1960 till 1966. I was wondering if anyone who worked there is on Sheffield Forum. Some names which come to mind : Jim Higgins, Tommy Hancock, Arthur Whitehouse, Jack Birkenshaw, Earnie Payne, Josephine Vincent - Any of you still out there ?

my girlfriends mother worked in the canteen there margret furniss

No relation I believe, Duffems. Another two names from Express Dairy have come to mind. Does anyone remember Joe Green and Charlie Bobo? The latter was a nickname of course. But they were real characters.

charly pickard ( bobo) had a three wheeler car, some bright sparks went and lifted it up and put it on bricks, I think he took it pretty well considering.

I remember being told that he had bought a 3 wheeler car. He shared it with Joe Green. When I worked there he and Joe had motor bikes. But how on earth did he get that nickname bobo, that somehow or other seemed to fit him? Quite a character.

The Express Dairy terminal which used to be on Broadfield Road was a very busy place in the 1960's.The lorries used were Commer 2 stroke diesels. They would really go, but we hard to stop. They used to go out into Derbyshire and pick up milk from dairy farms. The milke was then bottled in the Broadfield Road Dairy. I worked there from 1960 till 1966. I was wondering if anyone who worked there is on Sheffield Forum. Some names which come to mind : Jim Higgins, Tommy Hancock, Arthur Whitehouse, Jack Birkenshaw, Earnie Payne, Josephine Vincent - Any of you still out there ?

My dad, John Copley, worked there in the 70s, not sure about the 60s though. The cow in the window always fascinated me. My sister and me used to climb the huge stack of cardboard while we waited for him to finish work.

I worked there in school Hols and student vacs between 1962 and 1966. I worked variously in the cream dairy, back dock, bottle washing machines and front dock, oh and in the laboratory. The dairy manager was called Rev Fisher, a small red headed man who was hard but fair. I got the jobs because my father, Fred Bloomer, was the area retail manager. He worked at Broadfield Rd in the 40's and 50's, but by the 60's was based at Junction Rd retail HQ near Hunter's Bar. My mother, Doreen, worked as a senior clerk at Broadfield Rd in the 50's

hi sonofFred, not only do i remember the cow in the window i remember fred,doreen you & kay.

my aunt lillian was your grandmother & my fathers half sister. she raised him after his mother died just after his birth.

last i remember of your family you moved over near manchester because of your fathers job.

it's been fifty years or so so you may not remember me. anyway hope you & kay are both well.

alecs son.

My mum worked there Marina Cooper and my best friends dad Derek Parkin

Yes I do remember you MJW47. We played together as kids. You are a couple of years older than me. Fred and Doreen both died in the last couple of years. Kay lives near Manchester and I live down south. Our other sister, Jane, lives in North Wales. Your dad was called Alec and your mum was called Margaret. As I remember it she was from Ireland originally. If I knew how this forum worked I could send you an email with my phone number, not sure how to do that. Will investigate. If you know send me your phone number or email address and we could have a chat. Sorry if this is a bit boring for other users of this thread.

glad you remember. unfortunately i have no idea how to send email or phone details. the above post was my first on any forum.

your correct about my mum she was from county clare & we emigrated over there for a while. i still go back every year to see the family. sorry to hear about your mum & dad mine died 1989 & 1990.

never knew you had a sister jane i assume she's younger?

also apologise to other users, if we can figure out how to contact useing other means we can leave them in peace!

Hi,

My brother worked there in the 70's & he loved it Dave Freeman, sadly no longer with us but I can still remember the cow in the window & if memory serves a big picture of the queen?

I worked at Broadfield Road Dairy in 1965/6, I was 19, it was difficult to get a job there if you were single as the work was 6 days a week and 12 hour days minimum, married men were more reliable than single 19 year olds. From time to time I would knock from work but you ran the risk of the foreman coming to your house and making you go to work this happened to me more than once, the foreman who was known for this was a Scotsman who`s name I can`t remember but his nickname was Mac. I worked in all three fridges stacking crates either 5 or 6 high depending what the lorry would take, the forktruck driver at the time was a great character called Oscar, he was German and he decided to stay here after the war as his homeland of East Prussia hand been annexed by the Russians, I met him in the 70`s in the Upperthorpe Hotel when I lived in the area. Other names I recall, Reg Green, Alec Sparrowvic (the strongest man I have ever met) I think he was from Yugoslavia. The Express Dairy at that time employed a great many Eastern Europeans, it was like the league of nations. I was very happy well paid but it was bloody hard work.

I worked at Broadfield Road Dairy in 1965/6, I was 19, it was difficult to get a job there if you were single as the work was 6 days a week and 12 hour days minimum, married men were more reliable than single 19 year olds. From time to time I would knock from work but you ran the risk of the foreman coming to your house and making you go to work this happened to me more than once, the foreman who was known for this was a Scotsman who`s name I can`t remember but his nickname was Mac. I worked in all three fridges stacking crates either 5 or 6 high depending what the lorry would take, the forktruck driver at the time was a great character called Oscar, he was German and he decided to stay here after the war as his homeland of East Prussia hand been annexed by the Russians, I met him in the 70`s in the Upperthorpe Hotel when I lived in the area. Other names I recall, Reg Green, Alec Sparrowvic (the strongest man I have ever met) I think he was from Yugoslavia. The Express Dairy at that time employed a great many Eastern Europeans, it was like the league of nations. I was very happy well paid but it was bloody hard work.

Was it Reg Green or Joe Green?