The lack of university places for todays students!

I watch university challenge!:roll:

Talk about mature students!

I wonder what percentage of them have a free bus pass!:suspect:

I watch university challenge!:roll:

Talk about mature students!

I wonder what percentage of them have a free bus pass!:suspect:

Heh, I'm not that mature. Own hair, own teeth.

Well, I'm a mature student, and obviously I disagree with this!! I work very hard at my degree, am funding it myself and working part time. I'm very grateful to have had the opportunity later in life. Why are all the debates about uni centered around jobs? Surely it is a life expanding opportunity for most, a different way of thinking and viewing the world, a chance of meeting new friends, of experiencing other ways of life? Surely an educated populace is beneficial for everyone, regardless of whether the degree is vocational.

You're exactly the example of the type of student we wish to encourage.

However, the 'less mature' 21 year old graduate comes out of university thinking they are entitled to a graduate job. The government didn't increase the number of university places to increase the number of jobs -they increased them to raise the education level of those in lower grade jobs. The problem is that the vast majority of students aren't prepared to accept this and a large number are currently refusing to work at all because they can't have what they want.

Maybe part of the answer lies in apprentiships, training schemes and vocational qualifications? The option of starting at the bottom and working your way up should still exist. I dunno, maybe some of these students can't envisage that option. I suppose though, if you spend thousands on your education, you kind of expect a return of your investment

Maybe part of the answer lies in apprentiships, training schemes and vocational qualifications? The option of starting at the bottom and working your way up should still exist. I dunno, maybe some of these students can't envisage that option. I suppose though, if you spend thousands on your education, you kind of expect a return of your investment

That's exactly where the answer lies - and there are plenty of these about. Unfortunately the last government thought they should encourage more and more school leavers to go to university and raised their expectations, and now suddenly there's an 'uproar' when despite there being more places than ever, some students are disappointed that they can't go. I'm afraid they need to face the reality that not all school leavers are entitled to or suited to university education and get on with getting some practical skills and experience.

There's a huge drive in the university sector to recruit increasing numbers of overseas students (non-EU), as that is where the money is. This must be having an impact on the availability of places for home students.

Nope, none at all in fact.

Universities are by their nature elitist, and so they should be. If everyone got into University then what would the point be?

Which is fine - so long as it is done fairly. An increase in the number of students going on the University means, I suspect, an increase in the number of working and lower middle class students going to University. If we are going to have a system where only the academically most talented are encouraged to go into higher education, then it cannot favour those more fortunate, who have ultimately been prepped for university, rather than necessarily being the best available.

Which is fine - so long as it is done fairly. An increase in the number of students going on the University means, I suspect, an increase in the number of working and lower middle class students going to University. If we are going to have a system where only the academically most talented are encouraged to go into higher education, then it cannot favour those more fortunate, who have ultimately been prepped for university, rather than necessarily being the best available.

But this is another part of the problem. A large number of universities and courses now have places (and in some cases entire courses) ring-fenced for the 'less fortunate' which enables them to claim extra funding. In some cases simply having divorced parents or attending an 'under performing' school can entitle you to a place with far lower entry requirements than your peers. This is in part leading to the spate of well-qualified students that can no longer find places for courses because they have all been taken by students that previously would not have qualified. It's also leading to a larger number of students dropping out when they realise they are not capable of completing the course.

Well, I'm a mature student, and obviously I disagree with this!! I work very hard at my degree, am funding it myself and working part time. I'm very grateful to have had the opportunity later in life. Why are all the debates about uni centered around jobs? Surely it is a life expanding opportunity for most, a different way of thinking and viewing the world, a chance of meeting new friends, of experiencing other ways of life? Surely an educated populace is beneficial for everyone, regardless of whether the degree is vocational.

well if you are funding it yourself good luck to you but there are many more that are not and the tax payer funds it:loopy: and it leaves less places for the young students!

well if you are funding it yourself good luck to you but there are many more that are not and the tax payer funds it:loopy: and it leaves less places for the young students!

Everyone funds themselves now and pays it back when they've finished - they now graduate with a minimum debt of £23,000 with tuition fee and living cost loans.

Why should someone be refused a place at university because of their age?

The number of overseas students doesn't impact on the number of places available to home students. The number of home students is restricted by government funding. There is a limit on the number of places for home students and universities are fined by the government if they go over this number (about £3700 per student).

dont be stupid, if there are places for overseas students then these should be offered to home students:loopy::loopy: instead! and if it is the case for fines for the universities then that should be stopped, uk universities for uk students.

i wouldnt like to guess how many overseas students come here get a university degree at a cut price and then go off to a career somewhere else in the world!! thanks uk for the degree but "i am outta here"