The lack of university places for todays students!

Whoa!!!! How narrow-minded! In three weeks time I shall commence a course as a mature student, and I can assure that I have NEVER been a 'doley', as you so eloquently describe. I am footing the bill entirely, with my permanent part time employment (where I have been for almost 12 years), so you can stop worrying about other tax payers doing so. Plus, why do you think mature students should be refused due to being lazy in their youth? I went on to uni after school, and graduated with my BA. I am now looking to do my MA, in a vocational subject due to my current employer trying to make it virtually impossible for me to continue to do my current job.

I think you have generalised a bit too much there!!!!!!

me narrow minded ..never, ok enlighten us how do fund a MA or whatever with permanent PART time employment?? and live? and after 12 years as well ! must be a bloody good part time job ! any spare ones going instead of me having to employ people and run 2 companies to pay the bills!!, are you sure there are no benefits involved here? grants etc, so if you went to uni after school why do you think you should get 2 bites at the UNI cherry when places are this scarce today? just as a matter of interest what is the vocational subject?? just interested, sounds like your employer has rumbled you:hihi::hihi:

me narrow minded ..?

Feeble minded more like.

it seems today we have far more students than we have university places never mind jobs for graduates that finish their degrees, is it now time to put a stop to mature students, overseas students and recent immigrant students to ease the burden and allow the young people of the UK a decent chance at University? instead of the ludicrous situation we have today?

I don't see as it's really that different to how it's always been, places have always been limited and competed for.

I do wonder whether there's now a preference for affluent oversee's students, since they make them pay through the nose for the same costs.

I don't see why there should be a bar on any particular group though, it should come down to merit & ability. Profit shouldn't really be a factor, but I suspect it's a large one these days, hopefully I'm totally wrong.

Edited by Magilla

me narrow minded ..never, ok enlighten us how do fund a MA or whatever with permanent PART time employment?? and live? and after 12 years as well ! must be a bloody good part time job ! any spare ones going instead of me having to employ people and run 2 companies to pay the bills!!, are you sure there are no benefits involved here? grants etc, so if you went to uni after school why do you think you should get 2 bites at the UNI cherry when places are this scarce today? just as a matter of interest what is the vocational subject?? just interested, sounds like your employer has rumbled you:hihi::hihi:

I will fund my MA through my part time job, as I said, and through a Career Development Loan, which is on its' way in to my account any time soon, and which I will pay back once I have graduated. I also have to support a little boy, who I am raising on my own. The only benefit I get is my Child Benefit. So, how will I live? Well, I will have to wait and see. With great difficulty, I suspect!

An MA is not another First Degree. So, two bites? You can not even DO an MA without a First Degree, so how else am I supposed to do it? The MA follows on from the BA. Think you need to research the difference between undergraduate and postgraduate degrees!!!!

Yes, my employer has been in the news a hell of a lot lately, for attempted imposition of new contract changes. Hence, me having to take a step back, and look how I can best support my son in the future....at MY expense, before I am forced on to the new contract.

It is unusual for someone to begrudge another person for wanting to educate themselves, at their own expense, to better their life, and that of their child, when it comes at no cost to anyone else.

And, yes. If you are interested. My employer is currently recruiting, if you are interested. It's the new contract though, so, £11k, plus £2.40 per hour worked, you have to live within 90 mins of the Heathrow Airport, and be totally flexible about your days off...ie not knowing exactly when they are. You should be well in with a chance. The majority of people who are joining the company now are leaving within the first month.

I find it very difficult to understand how you can berate someone for wanting to excel in academia, even acquire a PhD, and put it to good use, yet, are happy for some people who are fresh out of school, and who haven't got a clue what they want to do with their lives, so go to Uni, just to string it out a bit longer, rather than get a job? I am NOT saying I disapprove of the latter, but it is a very real situation.

My mother works at the university here. She despairs at some students. They don't have the slightest interest in their studies, and openly admit they just want to have fun, rather than get a job. Is THAT what you would prefer to see, rather than approve of those of us who WANT to study, and use what we study in the future? And, by the way, we are not taking up THEIR places. They are undergraduates. Different courses to our postgraduate ones.

it seems today we have far more students than we have university places never mind jobs for graduates that finish their degrees, is it now time to put a stop to mature students, overseas students and recent immigrant students to ease the burden and allow the young people of the UK a decent chance at University? instead of the ludicrous situation we have today?

I worked as a secretary in a university in 1981 when funding to universities was cut. To salvage the situation one department devised a degree aimed primarily at mature students, which was taught in the evenings and which students largely funded themselves. I had left school with 5 o-levels which I'd struggled to pass, but in my 30s decided to try for A-levels at evening classes. I managed to get 3 reasonable grades and was persuaded that I could gain a degree and so I enrolled on the part-time degree course. I worked full-time, was married and had a teenaged son. It was hard work, but I appreciated the chance much more than if I'd been in a position to go when I was 18. And by the way, I worked full-time from the age of 17 taking time off only for maternity leave.

oh of course its the governments fault universities havent got enough funding i forgot sorry, nothing to do with oversubscribed places or stretching resources which has to be paid for by the tax payer.

as for a problem with asylumn seekers and immigrants no not really just anyone that bleeds our system........thanks but dont lump me with bnp trash!!

i wonder what percentage of foreign students actually pay the full whack??

All of them pay 'the full whack'. If they don't pay for it all by themselves then it comes from a scholarship from their country's government. For example many Saudi and Libyan students have the fees and board paid for by their government. None of their fees are paid for by the UK government.

ah thanks that brings us neatly on to the "fake" visa system :loopy::loopy: which is so widely abused for made up courses!!! and then they move on to the main UNI system.

and before you say anything i deal with many company owners in the far east who ask for invitation letters so they can get their sons and daughters over here and into our visa system

They no longer use 'invitation letters'. The whole visa system has been changed and all the information is stored on the UKBA database. As letters are no longer used for visa purposes it is not possible for a fake student to get a visa through a fake letter.

of course it has something to do with this:loopy::loopy: it is part of the problem of not enough places for UK students:rolleyes:

Immigration has nothing to do with the lack of places for UK/EU students. The issues with immigration were the same a few years ago when there were plenty of places of UK/EU students. The difference is the cap on numbers put on institutions by the government. Apples and oranges my friend.