Who remembers caravanning in the old days?

I remember going caravanning in the 50s and 60s with my parents. Dashing across the camp site to the toilet block!! Anyone else have such happy memories?

Yes two weeks at Whatstandwell in a converted railway carriage gas mantles and all,in a field near the river that was where we swam, very primitive but one of the best holidays I ever had that was in the fifties.

I remember going caravanning in the 50s and 60s with my parents. Dashing across the camp site to the toilet block!! Anyone else have such happy memories?

me i remember gas lights that popped and fizzed n all sorts of noises, and toilet blocks...we used to put sheets over our heads and scare people.

me i remember gas lights that popped and fizzed n all sorts of noises, and toilet blocks...we used to put sheets over our heads and scare people.

We used to put sheets over our heads and scare people up Stocksbridge , look where thats finished up .

No never that rich,was a new canvas tent the store said it had a sewn in ground sheet untill we open it at the site, anything we could ram into a sidecar with pots &pans tied to the back my wife change nappie's from the back seat of the bike at 60 mph(3kids) the first few days was pretty rough but we got to love it, still doing the same when we got to Canada, now I can afford a trailer may be one of those nice R.Vs with nice soft beds for my old bones . Hmmm

We went to Ingoldmells in the mid 70's. The caravan we stayed in had been converted to electric light, but still had the gas mantles in it, but you still had to use the toilet block.

My caravan now has a 26" widescreen telly in the room, and a 21" in the bedroom (both freeview), I have mobile broadband for the laptop and, of course, the mobile phone - how times have changed.

We went to Ingoldmells in the mid 70's. The caravan we stayed in had been converted to electric light, but still had the gas mantles in it, but you still had to use the toilet block.

My caravan now has a 26" widescreen telly in the room, and a 21" in the bedroom (both freeview), I have mobile broadband for the laptop and, of course, the mobile phone - how times have changed.

robin hood camp

we stayed in a caravan near mablethorpe in the late 60,s. this had the gas mantles for the lighting and the toilet blocks with the coin operated showers which never worked. and it had a small black & white telly which ran off an old car battery, and when the battery started to go flat,the picture on the telly got smaller & smaller until it dissapeared, which meant bedtime. happy days though:)

we stayed in a caravan near mablethorpe in the late 60,s. this had the gas mantles for the lighting and the toilet blocks with the coin operated showers which never worked. and it had a small black & white telly which ran off an old car battery, and when the battery started to go flat,the picture on the telly got smaller & smaller until it dissapeared, which meant bedtime. happy days though:)

where was u from ?

Skeggy every year.

Always fish n chips for lunch on arrival.

Mum wading thru the bag of supplies she had brought to find the bottle of vinegar.

Baby belling cooker, gas mantles, stripey deckchairs hiding in the cupboard, awful ornaments decorating the caravan, steamy windows in the morning, dad going off for newspaper and milk while mum cooked full English for when he returned.

You hoped no-one would see you in your dressing gown as you ran across the campsite to the shower block. The world's biggest spiders and daddy-longlegs in the toilets.

Seagulls on the caravan roof eating the dry bread you had stupidly thrown up there the night before!

Caravan-spotting (bit like train spotting) ... was it an Anchor caravan or was it a 6-berth Pemberton ....... mmmm, it was well over 40 years ago!!!!

Yes two weeks at Whatstandwell in a converted railway carriage gas mantles and all,in a field near the river that was where we swam, very primitive but one of the best holidays I ever had that was in the fifties.

I live only a few miles from Whatstandwell now and although it's a great place I would like to know how anyone could spend two weeks there without getting bored. There again it was the fifties when we found ways of enjoying ourselves without it costing a fortune.

Imagine the kids of today - they would soon be bored.

No running water in the caravans........had to take the water container to the tap to fill it up !!!!!!