Self publishing

Just in-case anyone missed it, an interesting interview between Jeremy Vine and Kim Cross (managing director of Grosvenor House Publishing) on Friday Radio 2.

In Your Money and Your Life, they discussed self publishing. How do you get that book to the shelves yourself?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00tcx35

Set the time buffer to 1:09.58

------------------

Or visit the site...

http://www.grosvenorhousepublishing.co.uk/

Just in-case anyone missed it, an interesting interview between Jeremy Vine and Kim Cross (managing director of Grosvenor House Publishing) on Friday Radio 2.

In Your Money and Your Life, they discussed self publishing. How do you get that book to the shelves yourself?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00tcx35

Set the time buffer to 1:09.58

------------------

Or visit the site...

http://www.grosvenorhousepublishing.co.uk/

With great difficulty I imagine. :(

Anyone read the book Secrets of Hightower by M G Naylor? This was self-published via Matador/Troubador press and unfortunately it shows. The proof-reading and editing is very poor - which is sad as it could be a really good read. It needed sharpening up to take it from mediocre to excellent. Still, the guy is in print - which is more than I am. He's from Chesterfield by the way, and now lives in Sheffield. (Ooer hope he's not a SWG member and is reading this!)

I have read Secrets of Hightower. MG Naylor may be a self published author but I did not see any problems with the proof reading or editing! Dont know what you are on about. This book is marvelous. Has lots of humour in it and some exciting twists and turns. Also MG Naylor won a commended award at The 2010 Sheffield Childrens Book award! I wouldnt say thats mediocre - would you?

Isn't it funny how a person registers just for the sole purpose of posting one comment to negate another.

You might as well be MG Naylor, his wife, or his kids... People can find out the quality of the book from Amazon reviews, OR, they can read the first chapter or two online on his website.

My comments were that, regardless of quality of the prose, the cover was a bit shoddy and they could have pushed the boat out a bit! It was majorly done on the cheap...

Edit: I just realised that the phrase "You can't judge a book by its cover" has never been truer than in relation to this post :)

Edited by Karis

Maybe self publishing is expensive. Do you have any idea how much it costs? No? Obviously you dont. We are all intitled to our own opinions. But you were saying that the editing and proof reading were poor and that is incorrect.

By the way. My son got involved with the Sheffield Childrens book award with his school. That is why i know about this book. I just googled it to find out about this author. What annoys me is people like you who judge people by its cover. try getting published your self. Also i just looked on Amazon as you suggested. The review was good!

Edited by Laughoutloud

My son got involved with the Sheffield Childrens book award with his school. That is why i know about this book. I just googled it to find out about this author.

If you actually READ my post, you'd realise that I was actually saying that while the cover was a bit cruddy, you *can't* judge a book by its cover! I've read the book...

My point was that it's interesting how you are "annoyed" with comments about a self published writer with whom you have 'no' personal connection. That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. I hear loads of people slagging off J K Rowling, but I don't feel the need to sign up to every Harry Potter forum to defend her personally.

I think it's brilliant what Mr Naylor has done; I really do (and as I live a few doors away from him, I have to say that *grins*) think more people should believe in themselves to publish their own books!

Returning to topic, any advice about costs of self-publishing would be appreciated; I am currently writing a comedy novel and Self-Publishing interests me in the event of slow response from publishing houses/agents.

Advice: get a lot of feedback from people you don't know and who aren't afraid to say what they really think about your novel.

Pay for a DAMN GOOD editor!

Amen to that....oh, and to be fair to Karis....the guy knows a hell of a lot about book publishing....

More people should read HIS books!

:-)