Any ex treeton colliery colleagues

I remember Jimmy Murray...used to drink down Westgate..

On 14/05/2020 at 06:49, ruskynoonoo said:

Hi

Sorry to jump in & hijack your conversation but I think my dad, Ted Parkin, who was also a joiner at Treeton knew your brother Mick very well.

If its the same Mick I'm thinking of (surely can only have been one Mick Hirst worked at Treeton??) lol.

Did you both used to have the 2 Jays pub at Unston & later the Winsick Arms before Mick went to France??

Cheers

Max

Hi Max  I started at Treeton in 1976, on the pit top, in the joiners shop where your dad Ted was a joiner..he was a real comedian..and a great chatacter..

On 07/09/2020 at 19:50, Littleboy said:

Does anyone remember Reginald Littleboy from from Treeton pit?  He worked there from 50,s till it shut. He has sadly passed but we would love to hear any stories.

Many Thanks. Martin. ( son-in law)

I remember Reg, he was our overman on Wathwood 21s...sad to hear of his passing..always got along with him very well..sadly though, I dont have any stories..

Edited by johntyas

My Dad worked there for 32 years mostly in the Ripping. Edwin Bell .

I was there from 79 until 88

Edited by Shaun Bell

I remember Reg Littleboy, he was in the same class as myself at Woofhouse Grammar School. he left in July 1956 to start work 

Quite number of boys and girls from Treeton at the school, the lager than life character being Billy Harper, I think his mother was a school teacher. I understand that he died many years ago from Legionnaires Disease

Some other names I recall being - Norma Pack, Ray Jarvis,  Derek Clarke, Harold Phillips, Jean ???. 

From Swallownest School, up to July 1951, I remember Treeton Colliery lads - Roy Cocking,  Eric Tillery, Roy Edwards, any of them still living will be around 81 now

My moher's cousin worked there - Ray Lister. Walter Gaigion lived with his parents across the road from my grandparents on Aighton Road, Swallownest, next semidetached to Albert Taylor the Coal Merhant (1940's and 1950's

Best Wishes - Victor Marshall Hutchinson - ex Swallownest 1940-1967, Driffield, East Yorkshire 1967- end of 2006, end 2006 -present Malaysia - Saturday 11-45am here, (UK plus 7 hours), and 98 degrees ,so will be around 104 degrees by 12-30pm - usual about the  same 365 days a year -  never drops below 89 degrees during the night - no  rain for long periods , fog, snow and no aches and pains from the cold and damp weather - low cost living here - as for petrpl - equivalent to  British Pounds  1-50 Per Gallon - so no problem in running a 4.0 litre car - price hardly changes since 2007 - But the downside is - "No Tetleys Beer"

5 hours ago, DeWasteney said:

I remember Reg Littleboy, he was in the same class as myself at Woofhouse Grammar School. he left in July 1956 to start work 

Quite number of boys and girls from Treeton at the school, the lager than life character being Billy Harper, I think his mother was a school teacher. I understand that he died many years ago from Legionnaires Disease

Some other names I recall being - Norma Pack, Ray Jarvis,  Derek Clarke, Harold Phillips, Jean ???. 

From Swallownest School, up to July 1951, I remember Treeton Colliery lads - Roy Cocking,  Eric Tillery, Roy Edwards, any of them still living will be around 81 now

My moher's cousin worked there - Ray Lister. Walter Gaigion lived with his parents across the road from my grandparents on Aighton Road, Swallownest, next semidetached to Albert Taylor the Coal Merhant (1940's and 1950's

Best Wishes - Victor Marshall Hutchinson - ex Swallownest 1940-1967, Driffield, East Yorkshire 1967- end of 2006, end 2006 -present Malaysia - Saturday 11-45am here, (UK plus 7 hours), and 98 degrees ,so will be around 104 degrees by 12-30pm - usual about the  same 365 days a year -  never drops below 89 degrees during the night - no  rain for long periods , fog, snow and no aches and pains from the cold and damp weather - low cost living here - as for petrpl - equivalent to  British Pounds  1-50 Per Gallon - so no problem in running a 4.0 litre car - price hardly changes since 2007 - But the downside is - "No Tetleys Beer"

Eric Tillery still living in Treeton. 

He was the school bully at Swallownest Junior School 

I heard from another Aughton lad Jeffrey Jacobs that Eric Tillery had cancer - that would be around 2010

If sill alive, Jeffrey lives at the very top of Park Hill, Swallownest, about 2nd, or third house of the row

Another Aughton  name which now springs to mind is Derek Simcox, I think he became an agent for Prudential Assurance, that would be around 1965/66 I think when I last saw him

All  A Long Time Ago 

Best Regards - Victor MH

So, Classicfan - what motors do you have ?

I am a Classic Fan myself here in Malaysia, currently I have  - Mercedes Benz S.320 (3.2 lite) 1999 and 1999 Daimler-Jaguar 4.0 litre

I have a friend, here, who rebuilds classics from the classic up and the result is mega perfect, even the upholstery

I use them fairly frequently, but for business I have a Mercedes-Benz  S.240 and my wide has a 2.0 Mitsubishi Lancer, we change these and buy new  every 3 years. Cars imported  here have an import duty from 20% up to 2.0 litre to 40% for more expensive cars and 4 x 4

Nice to drive the classics on a long run on Malaysia North/South Highway which runs from the middle of Singapore Island to the border with Thailand 780km, or 490 miles

I have a Business License and Residents Status here so every 3 years  I can buy cars for our personal use, such as Mercedes, Jaguar, BMW etc etc exempt of Import Duty - although they are supplied by the local main dealers in Kuala Lumpur  

I read in the UK Daily Mail earlier today that in some places petrol is GBP 1.42 litre  - we buy a gallon here for GBP 1.50. Our daughter lives in Vancouver and they pay only slightly more than we do here

Regards - Victor MH

On 16/10/2021 at 11:19, DeWasteney said:

So, Classicfan - what motors do you have ?

I am a Classic Fan myself here in Malaysia, currently I have  - Mercedes Benz S.320 (3.2 lite) 1999 and 1999 Daimler-Jaguar 4.0 litre

I have a friend, here, who rebuilds classics from the classic up and the result is mega perfect, even the upholstery

I use them fairly frequently, but for business I have a Mercedes-Benz  S.240 and my wide has a 2.0 Mitsubishi Lancer, we change these and buy new  every 3 years. Cars imported  here have an import duty from 20% up to 2.0 litre to 40% for more expensive cars and 4 x 4

Nice to drive the classics on a long run on Malaysia North/South Highway which runs from the middle of Singapore Island to the border with Thailand 780km, or 490 miles

I have a Business License and Residents Status here so every 3 years  I can buy cars for our personal use, such as Mercedes, Jaguar, BMW etc etc exempt of Import Duty - although they are supplied by the local main dealers in Kuala Lumpur  

I read in the UK Daily Mail earlier today that in some places petrol is GBP 1.42 litre  - we buy a gallon here for GBP 1.50. Our daughter lives in Vancouver and they pay only slightly more than we do here

are raced

Regards - Victor MH

Sadly none Victor.  My allegiance is to classic motorbikes, having a friend of over 40 years who has had BSA Gold Stars, Matchless G50, AJS 7R in standard trim and now has Seeley framed G50 and 7R which are raced competitively by a rider from the North East on short circuits and the Isle of Man. 

Classicfan

My knowledge of motorcycles is zero now

My uncle had a Scott Clubman 650cc back in 1946 -1950 - I still have a photo - registered number was FOE 593. He often rode it from Swallownest to the village of Fortuneswell on Portland Bill, near Weymouth, to see his girl friend Elsie, his wife from October 1947

They both died in 2015 aged 94

I have an employee, (aged 59), here in Malaysia who is a motorcycle fan - he has a Honda Shaddow and a BMW touring bike. He prefers the bikes to his MPV 

With his wife they frequently have weekends in Thailand or Singapore with their BMW - I have a photo of the bikes

If you would like any copies of the photos please send me your e mail address as a private message

Best Regards - Victor

I recently found this forum while thinking about Treeton pit.  I started working there in summer 1977 in the lamp cabin, then did my underground training at Orgreave, I was 21 and living in Sheffield.  I was trainee in Wathwood Inset (the banksman used to call it the leisure centre, lol) with a young guy who was the onsetter, but I can't remember his name now.  We'd be onsetting on days and afternoons and elsewhere around the inset during nights.  I think there was an onsetter on nights regular.  I stayed onsetting after finishing training while the guy who was my supervisor went on face training.  On nights did all sorts of jobs in the gates of  I think 21,  shovelling stone dust and filling in holes in the road.  There were three guys on materials who used to stop by the shaft and have a pinch.  Their names have gone but one young guy with curly hair who had a ford anglia, and a tall skinny older guy. 

One young guy on the face used to call me Joe 90 because I had safety glasses with thick black frames.  I remember a grumpy old deputy who would strut around with a stick, he shouted at me one time when he was taking someone down to a disused level, maybe high hazel, because I looked at the board to double check the number of raps. 

Happy times, they were great lads at Treeton.  In autumn 1978 I applied for a transfer to Gedling pit because I had some good friends in Nottingham, worst move I made, it was not a friendly atmosphere and I didn't stay there.  I'm living in Canada now but often wonder how things would have turned out if I had stayed at Treeton.

Steve