Any ex treeton colliery colleagues

worked at treeton 1976-closeure, worked wathwood inset, swallowood,haigh moor, shearer driver. :

I was an electrician and Mick and I worked together at times. I knew Geoff your Dad he was a gent. I'm not sure but I think he was related (through marraige) to my family in some way. Sorry to hear of Mick's illness, he is the about the same age as me.

An update to my post, our Mick died on 31 May.

any one remember ken tompson

On 16/01/2014 at 19:21, snakeheadblu said:

My uncle Horace smith worked a Brookhouse from mid 40s till he took redundancy around time of strike 84..

My dad worked at fence workshop from 79-89 , then went to shafton 89-92 think was cable repairer also union rep I think hope some of you know either of them .My dad was Frank Blundy...

On 18/02/2015 at 12:54, classicfan said:

Training Officer was my dad, Geoff Goy, died 1989, brother Mick was a fitter, he now sadly is in the advanced stages of Alzheimers at 63, he started ten years ago with it, Eric Tillery followed dad, he still lives in Treeton.

Geoff Goy was my Uncle and I my father Cliff Hirst who was an underground bricklayer later gave checks out and my brother Micheal who now lives I France and was a joiner. 

On 29/04/2020 at 11:44, ICH said:

Geoff Goy was my Uncle and I my father Cliff Hirst who was an underground bricklayer later gave checks out and my brother Micheal who now lives I France and was a joiner. 

Hi Ian, how are you? Good few years since I heard from you. Asked your Ann about you when our Mick died, didn't know about your Mick's wife being ill and then passing away . Is Betty ok?

Yes thanks Alan we are both okay and living Redcar. Sorry about Micks passing but we we were in Italy for a month and did not know  till we got back. Mick was a good fitter worked with me in the drivage when I was a deputy. I will ask Ann if she has your number so we can catch up. 

Edited by ICH
Some mistakes.

On 29/04/2020 at 11:44, ICH said:

Hi

Sorry to jump in & hijack your conversation but I think my dad, Ted Parkin, who was also a joiner at Treeton knew your brother Mick very well.

If its the same Mick I'm thinking of (surely can only have been one Mick Hirst worked at Treeton??) lol.

Did you both used to have the 2 Jays pub at Unston & later the Winsick Arms before Mick went to France??

Cheers

Max

Edited by ruskynoonoo
spelling error

Hi Max, no problem jumping in. Yes Mick Hirst is my cousin and did indeed have the Two Jays and Telmere Lodge.. He still lives in France but June sadly died a couple of years ago.

Regards

Alan

On 15/05/2020 at 15:46, classicfan said:

Hi Max, no problem jumping in. Yes Mick Hirst is my cousin and did indeed have the Two Jays and Telmere Lodge.. He still lives in France but June sadly died a couple of years ago.

Regards

Alan

Hi Alan - thanks for the reply, sorry to hear about June. I remember going to the 2 Jays with my mum & dad back in the day, like I said, my dad Ted was friends with Mick out of work & they kept in touch for years after Mick left Treeton.

Next time you're in contact with Mick, could you let him know dad passed away a few years ago in 2013. He'd been quite ill with dementia and ended his days in Lightwood Hospital at Norton which was quite sad.

Thanks

Does anyone remember Reginald Littleboy from from Treeton pit?  He worked there from 50,s till it shut. He has sadly passed but we would love to hear any stories.

Many Thanks. Martin. ( son-in law)

I remember Reg, he is my age (80) and I met him in September 1951 when we both started at Woodhouse Grammar School

For some family reasons he left the school around 1955 to start working

I understand from other school friends who lived in the Treeton/Catcliffe area the he eventually because Mayor of Rotherham. I seem to recall that his friends included Billy Harper, Ray Jarvis, Barry Clarke, etc

Regards from Victor Marshall Hutchinson - Malaysia (ex Swallownest and Driffield near Bridlington)