Thr Prince of Wales, Carterknowle Road

whats the best pub to go in then in the area? im new to carter knowle and ive only been in the cherry tree once, the people in there were very friendly, been past the POW a few times and the robin hood but never been in, what are they like?i quite like the look of the robin hood pub, failing that i like the hare and hounds in dore.

foxhouse also looks nice, i heard good things about it,my sister stayed there on her wedding night.

Just stuck my head in and they gave me tickets to free Champage Reception tonight Thursday 30th, open 'as normal' tomorrow.

whats the best pub to go in then in the area? im new to carter knowle and ive only been in the cherry tree once, the people in there were very friendly, been past the POW a few times and the robin hood but never been in, what are they like?i quite like the look of the robin hood pub, failing that i like the hare and hounds in dore.

foxhouse also looks nice, i heard good things about it,my sister stayed there on her wedding night.

The Robin Hood is an Ember inn what the POW used to be. Robin is good, has a selection of ales and although the food is not amazing it’s agreeable and reasonably priced. It used to be better with the previous manager. Went in the POW last night for a menu tasting food was good and service excellent, however it is pricey. I had a burger which is a bit of a silly choice as I could have chosen anything for free and it seemed to be the same burger you get in any M&B owned pub. The only issue is at £12 for what you will get in another M&B establishment seems a little pricey. I know some people will bang on about the atmosphere of the place but is it really worth an extra £5? The hand pulled ales were £3.25 a pint which also seems a little steep. I can't help feel that at £3.25+ a pint not many people will just pop in for a drink and although the main focus is food the place won't be full all day everyday.

The hand pulled ales were £3.25 a pint which also seems a little steep. I can't help feel that at £3.25+ a pint not many people will just pop in for a drink and although the main focus is food the place won't be full all day everyday.

What planet are they on? No wonder pubs are closing down all over the shop.

I know they price it to keep the 'riff-raff' out, but that will surely discourage some customers they would be happy to serve.

i too went to the champagne night last night, it was very nice, but then again it should be ith the amount of money rumoured to have been spent on it. They assured me all the food is made in house so i guess the microwaves wont be needed!! It was very busy, but will this continue once the 'free' night end. I think it may work until the new year then who knows...i must say i liked it as an ember, and will miss some of the staff, some had been there years and it was nice to see a familiar face.....

I went on Tuesday and thought the staff were excellent - much friendlier than some of the last lot ! It looks great, feels a nice place to be in and the food and drinks are good. Its just the prices...

I went on Tuesday and thought the staff were excellent - much friendlier than some of the last lot ! It looks great, feels a nice place to be in and the food and drinks are good. Its just the prices...

Has anyone noticed whether it still has a quiz machine?

Cherry Tree is shabby but works fine as a local pub. Busy on quiz night (Tuesday, I think) and Thursday when there's an acoustic session. The new management are keen to get some other things going like a regular band night during the week.

Prices are set by the company so aren't great but it sounds like the POW has now caught up in that respect...

They're ALL my locals, not happy at all about that. After that all thats left is the Cherry Tree (which has been on its last legs for a long time, but i'm not surprised £3.55 for a vodka and lemonade - and not even brand vodka), and the Millhouses (is that even still open?)

I really hope that it doesn't go ahead, we don't need three gastro pubs in such close vacinity to each other!

The Cherry Tree was Sir Michael Caine's local when he lived in Sheffield, some 50 years ago.

Not a lot of people know that. ;)

What are we talking pint prices?

Good news on the Hammer, they are now not going to ruin it until the New Year at the earliest.

The food at POW is great, I was at one of the complimentary tastings on Tuesday. Very nice pub too and nice staff, will definitely return.