Thr Prince of Wales, Carterknowle Road

The new menu is pricey and I can't be entirely sure why M&B have located a chain called 'Premium Country Dining" there when they're definitely in the city and there is the actual countryside a 10minute drive up the road. I know that if I was going to have a pub meal in the country I wouldn't be having one on Ecclesall Road South I'd head out to the Peaks.

I can't foresee this lasting long, I live in S11 and it's saturated with places to eat, you only have to look at how frequently the ones further down change hands to see that. I want a pub where I can go have a glass of wine without being asked what table number I'm at and having a waitress trying to drop off an open chicken pie at my table.

The Foxhouse and Dore Moore brand themselves as pubs but you are certainly not welcome in just for a drink if it's busy so I hope the PoW and Hammer don't become like that too.

Unfortunately looks like they will and like you say there really isn't a need as the area is already saturated with eating houses. Gutted that the Hammers going to change, pub company planners are rapidly making it impossible to just go for a drink and feel comfortable.

I reckon Ember Inns has gone down the pan or been bought and asset stripped by one of the competitors. Seems strange they are pulling out of Sheffield completely. The only one I know that will be left is the Hind at Wickersley.

Ember Inns and Premium country dining are both Mitchell and Butlers brands.

If the pow goes more towards a dining pub then its not a place I will be visiting much.

The Robin Hood is an Ember and is due to stay an Ember unless sim wrong and the Hammer hasn't been an Ember in ages it changed to a much more cheap and cheerful pub ages ago. I'd not heard that it was changing unless this was based on the assumption that it was still an Ember and that all Embers are changing. However I did say that the Sportsman wasn't changing but on Saturday the Ember sign had been taken down there were workmen in and the lights were flickering inside.

The Robin Hood is an Ember and is due to stay an Ember unless sim wrong and the Hammer hasn't been an Ember in ages it changed to a much more cheap and cheerful pub ages ago. I'd not heard that it was changing unless this was based on the assumption that it was still an Ember and that all Embers are changing. However I did say that the Sportsman wasn't changing but on Saturday the Ember sign had been taken down there were workmen in and the lights were flickering inside.

I heard the Robin would not be changed as the carpark is too small.

Also although there was talk of making the Hammer a gastro apparently this met with stiff opposition from the locals.

Is the POW still open then? thought it was closing down?

Was closed for refit when I went past lased week.

re-opens in a couple of weeks

They have been offering VIP open night tickets via the website, I picked some up for the first night but I think there are still some left for the soft opening a day or two later.

Has it opened yet? I went passed over the weekend and could see people sat inside enjoying a beer.

I might give it a try today. The decor and seating look nice.

been to the prince for one of the launch parties - I like it ! food is good but a little pricey but the big improvement is the staff and management, they seem well trained and want you to enjoy yourself.

Hope it goes well !