What next when you're homeless.

me and my husband are homeless as of next week, we have sought advice from sheffield homes they will not rehome us as we dont qualify as "at risk priority" ie.. not on drugs, not pregnant, no children, no serious health issues ect.. i have contacted nomad and they have said they are no longer an advice centre and will only advise people on thier tenancies :huh:

ive been to cab and they said to go and speak to the homeless section at howden house which we did and they said the above about priority, there are no hostels for married couples either only single men and women and then they have to be in a certain circumstance, we have no family or friends that can help either, i really dont know what to do, im scared and very worried that we will end up on the streets, we are not bad people we dont drink or take drugs and up until last month my husband was in full time employment so we are now relying on jsa, we cant raise enough money for a bond ect to private rent either, does anybody know who or where we can turn to for some help please, it seems as if we are going round in circles.

do the advice pages on the shelter website offer any assistance?

can you look for a private landlord who accepts housing benefits rather than social landlords?

im so sorry, other than those ideas i really dont know... but i hope that at least by posting i can bump your thread higher up in todays listings so more people will see it.

i truly wish you all the best.

x

do the advice pages on the shelter website offer any assistance?

can you look for a private landlord who accepts housing benefits rather than social landlords?

im so sorry, other than those ideas i really dont know... but i hope that at least by posting i can bump your thread higher up in todays listings so more people will see it.

i truly wish you all the best.

x

i have found a few landlords that would accept HB but they still require a bond and 1 months rent in advance... funds we just havent got, we could try selling everything we own but still that wouldnt even scratch the surface of the amount needed. ive also tried speaking to shelter i got through to a right dumplin... couldnt really offer any "new news" advice. brick wall and head springs to mind!

do you have any friends who could put you up for a while?

cant howden house do anything if you present when you have tried everything else?

i cant imagine how awful this situation must be.

x

*EDIT* Could the mods move this to the general section or make it sticky so that more people see it? there is obviously a fairly tight deadline to you getting some answers so the more people who see it the better.

lie to them like EVERYBODY else does, its the only way of actually getting a house / flat. :loopy:

unfortunatly telling the truth these days doesn't count

you either have to be an

immigrant

Gay

or drug user

to get express help

lie to them like EVERYBODY else does, its the only way of actually getting a house / flat. :loopy:

you either have to be an

immigrant

Gay

or drug user

to get express help

What a plonk! Better to say nothing if you have nothing useful to say. I would suggest to the OP that they contact immediate family in the short term to get a roof over their heads whilst they look for a symapthetic landlord or at least get a deposit saved up. Good luck

Contact your MP it wont hurt to get them involved and also say your going to the papers !!!! good luck

you either have to be an

immigrant

Gay

or drug user

to get express help

:hihi: we cant act as gay cause we are a married couple, you can clearly tell we are not immigrants... sheffield born and bred! and as for the drug thing.... well ive never been a good actress.

even if we did manage by some miracle to get priorty housing rights, we would still have to wait at least 3 weeks for an property offer, what would we do for the 3 weeks, where would we sleep, i just cant bare the thought of sleeping on the streets... i will top myself first before i allow myself or my husband to be in that situation.

How about looking on here for a houseshare? There will be rooms for rent rather than a house or flat. And if you live with the landlord, they might be OK to not have a bond - its a little different than renting a whole house....and cheaper too.

Other than that....its summer, buy a tent from Decathlon and live in a campsite in the peak district for a few weeks. Friend of mine did that for a while to save up some cash.

What a plonk! Better to say nothing if you have nothing useful to say. I would suggest to the OP that they contact immediate family in the short term to get a roof over their heads whilst they look for a symapthetic landlord or at least get a deposit saved up. Good luck

we havent got any family that can help us, my husband hasnt talked to his parents for years and there is no room at my parents house even if they wanted to help.

Contact your MP it wont hurt to get them involved and also say your going to the papers !!!! good luck

whos my local mp, :huh: dont take much notice of politics and such like, it would be a good idea though.... nothing ventured and all that.