Sheffield NHS vs private health care

It is the system that is at fault and the restrictions it places on GP's in terms of targets and so on.

I am glad the OP went to Dr McKenzie, he is a great bloke and an excellent doctor. We have bypassed the NHS a couple of times by going to him and/or paying to see a consultant. I don't see what the problem is, he does a job he likes, we get what we want and no money is lost to the NHS, in fact the waiting lists in the NHS, and pressure on the appointments system must surely benefit.

To paint a doom laden picture where the NHS is replaced totally by a private system is scaremongering and a long way from reality. Having said that, the scope for saving money or more effectively spending it is there to be had in the current NHS.

I agree he is a great gp:)

I have a rare condition that affects my lungs as well as my legs and hands. Its a periphial nerve and muscle waisting disease. So the need for antibiotics is a must the nhs chose to ignore that I needed them in order to recover. Hence why I went private .

You was right AnnaB

Some doctors are predicting that antibiotics may well become obsolete and stop working against bacteria in as little as ten years. So now there are strong reasons why GPs are hesitant in prescribing antibiotics. They may even have your overall best interests in mind as if the current rate of antibiotic prescription tallies with the predictions you soon may be in a situation where your only defence against chest infections is your bodies ability to fight them off.

I suspect your NHS GP is not sorry to see you go Charlie.

I suspect your NHS GP is not sorry to see you go Charlie.

You will also suspect that the feeling is mutual hahaha :hihi:

I agree he is a great gp:)

I have heard some rather unsettling stories about this person.

I wonder how many patients leave his surgery WITHOUT a prescription? - needed or otherwise.

Edited by Daven

I have heard some rather unsettling stories about this person.

I wonder how many patients leave his surgery WITHOUT a prescription? - needed or otherwise.

Well unless you are medically qualified and also had a consultation with the people he prescribed for you'll have to carry on believing 'stories'. However, to impugn someone's professional reputation on the basis of second hand information is a trifle unwise.

For the record he's only prescribed once for us out of about five visits for differing matters, a 20% rate, probably half that of the NHS.

Well unless you are medically qualified and also had a consultation with the people he prescribed for you'll have to carry on believing 'stories'. However, to impugn someone's professional reputation on the basis of second hand information is a trifle unwise.

For the record he's only prescribed once for us out of about five visits for differing matters, a 20% rate, probably half that of the NHS.

I am medically qualified and have firsthand knowledge of this particular service - I believe that those who pay for private health care are entitled to have knowledge of problems with this service and resent unfair comparisons with the limited resources of the NHS.

I am medically qualified and have firsthand knowledge of this particular service - I believe that those who pay for private health care are entitled to have knowledge of problems with this service and resent unfair comparisons with the limited resources of the NHS.

I'm even more surprised at your comments if you are medically qualified. Are you saying that as a medically qualified person you have been for a consultation with the Dr mentioned and he prescribed something for you that you knew you didn't need? because that is the only way I can interpret the first part of your paragraph, anything else is conjecture, theorising or hearsay.

I don't mind anyone championing the NHS, parts of it are wonderful, but to do so to the exclusion of all the other options seems a bit blinkered.

I could give you a real first hand account of how the NHS wastes money and the 'limited resources' could be far better used.

Then on other occasions when I visited there seemed to be many many nurses and workers standing around the reception area and chatting, some filling in paperwork, some on the phone.

Just wanted to point out (as a nurse myself), that a large part of my job entails paperwork and management issues that invove using the phone or computer and discussions with other people. Its an essential part of the job.

Only making the point because people often seem to think that if nurses aren't delivering actual patient care they are slacking in some way, but this is usually not the case.

Given that your private doctor has confirmed the diagnosis you were given three times by the NHS, what exactly is your complaint?

Ia bronchitis and pleurisy a "normal" chest infection..? Don't the NHS treat "normal" infections these days?

Munchousens by proxy ??????? Be thankful for what we have, if you can aford private fine, ...but stop slagging it , we all know its not perfect but a large part of the problem for all NHS sectors is time wasters. Just take a look at A&E Fri/Sat night and you will see what I mean. Whinge, whine, Moan. :-)

Munchousens by proxy ??????? Be thankful for what we have, if you can aford private fine, ...but stop slagging it , we all know its not perfect but a large part of the problem for all NHS sectors is time wasters. Just take a look at A&E Fri/Sat night and you will see what I mean. Whinge, whine, Moan. :-)

jealousy ?????????:loopy: must of had a lemon in your mouth while writing that :)

Busy or not we are all entitled to be treat in the correct way. I am in a wheelchair and to hear a doctor call me handicapped was awful. That word is wrong and made me feel upset.:roll:

I wish I did have Munchousens by proxy would not have this stupid disease then and would not depend on a carer to get me ready and washed. Having anything would be better then what I have now. :rant:

Am better now the anti biotics have worked and am going to go back to working on my own business this week, am so relieved I have been bored stupid laid in bed. :) Taking the last of the antibiotics today , thats that done with yay

Edited by charlie9865