Council house with no shower or cooker??

a freind of mine under a different council is moving into a flat, that has no carpets cooker or shower, she has been told it is down to her to get these items.

im sure this may differ council to council but surley there should be cooking and cleaning facilities provided prior to her moving in.

if any one could confirm this it would be geat, or even give me a link to some helpful housing advice,

we would be really greatful many thanks

My ex moved into a Council flat in Sheffield a couple of years ago.

The bathroom was fitted with a rather rubbish shower, no carpets or cooker.

I would say it is down to the tennant to provide these items, unless they have specifically requested a part, or fully furnished accomodation?

oh heck , just doesnt seem right to me, i mean ignoring the carpets the other 2 items are nesecities that sadly she just cant afford , and i think with a little 1 a cooker and some were to wash is essential.

ty for your post x

Try your local freecycle for items such as cookers etc.

Has your friend looked into any benefits that may be available, or any local authority schemes/charities that may be able to help?

My ex got a cooker from freecycle which was great (until i pulled the door off!). The council have been round refurbing the houses in their area, and the shower was upgraded, and the bathroom retiled.

oh heck , just doesnt seem right to me, i mean ignoring the carpets the other 2 items are nesecities that sadly she just cant afford , and i think with a little 1 a cooker and some were to wash is essential.

ty for your post x

Isn't there a bath?

None of the council properties I ever lived in had a cooker. It is an item you expected to buy for yourself.

Neither did they have showers. All of them had a bath though.

If you get an unfurnished place then you are just moving into a shell with heating, water, bath and toilet. The rest is down to you.

there are places in sheffield that would help your friend with items such as furniture, cooker and carpets (there is one at the bottom of the moor I think)but a shower or bath should be provided by the landlord. If you look on the for sale section in the forum there are also sections that may be useful.:thumbsup: good luck

not sure if theres a bath, if there was im sure she would b happy with that.

yeh a few freinds have recommended freecycle to her so her spirits are lifting now thankfully.

just seems so many people get all these entitlements and some one who to me really could do with a bit of a help/hand out gets nada, but thats life i guess.

ty again

None of the council properties I ever lived in had a cooker. It is an item you expected to buy for yourself.

Neither did they have showers. All of them had a bath though.

If you get an unfurnished place then you are just moving into a shell with heating, water, bath and toilet. The rest is down to you.

That seems a bit harsh when private sales almost always include at least those things!

That seems a bit harsh when private sales almost always include at least those things!

That's the way it always has been though.

I rent privately now, but I know from friends that it hasn't changed on the council side.

That's private sales. I don't think you can expect a hell of a lot for £50 a week!

unreal, shes going to go get stuff from recliam shes been told they have showers, but now has to ask the councils permission to have a shower installed!!! just madness