The origins of Sheffield street names

Wiki says:

In the 12th century, a local lord of the manor founded a hospital in the area, called St Leonards. Although there is no trace of it remaining, the name has been passed on to streets in the vicinity, called Spital Hill and Spital Lane (as in hospital)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burngreave

elsewhere:

Because of the de Lovetots and their castle, the little town of Sheffield began to grow. So much so, that de Lovetot built a town corn mill on the side of the Don, on what today is still called Millsands. In addition to the castle and the mill, de Lovetot built a hospital called St Leonard's. This was dedicated to the relief of the sick poor and was erected outside the town on fields at Spital Hill. It was St Leonard's Hospital or 'Spital' that gave the names to Spital Hill and Spital Fields.

http://jimsdesk.co.uk/history.html

I wonder if anyone is still on the waiting list?

Its derived from the word hospital.

Spital Hill is reckoned to be the site of the hospital that served Sheffield Castle.

I had wondered if it was connected but had told myself it probably wasn't becaue of the relatively young age of the NGH and the old infirmary being on infirmary road. There you go then, I was wrong again!!

Nether means middle and thorpe means little hill

Thorpe actually means farmstead, it's roman. Tells you in the museum in Rotherham

Thorpe actually means farmstead, it's roman. Tells you in the museum in Rotherham

Thorpe is Norse for farmstead, not Roman.

There's a few names from Thorpe in Sheffield, like Jordanthorpe:- Jorda's Thorpe, and Hackenthorpe:- Haaken or haake's Thorpe.

Lea is field. Royd means field, too, which always tickles me as I pass "Roydfield Drive" near Crystal Peaks:- its name means "Field-field drive"

Just had Letsby Avenue pointed out to me this afternoon - yep, at the end of this road is the police HQ (airport ind estate).

No road signs but that's what came up on the SatNav - someone having a laugh?

Letsby Avenue is the approach to the police helicopter hangar. It is the only Letsby Avenue in England....Sheffield, at the cutting edge of street naming!:hihi::hihi:

Stannington View Road in Crookes was named because it has a view of Stannington.

This really makes me laugh

:hihi:

Does anyone know the origin of "Crookes*?

Many housing estates built as estates, post-WWII, are given names en masse that represent something; like a Flower Estate (many cities have at least one), or a Poets Estate .. I believe there's a Rugby Union Grounds Estate in Halfway. Trees, and Peak District villages, are probably further examples of the same thing.

It's the older names which are usually the more interesting.

Another popular theme is golf courses. Where im from in Preston we have Gleneagles Drive, Carnoustie Court, Troon Court, Wentworth Close etc

The various roads I lived on when living in Sheffield were: Wordsworth Ave (poet?); Pickering Road (?); Beldon Road (?); Wellington Row (Naval Officer?); Halifax Road (Town?); Shenstone Road (poet?); Hammerton Road (?). I have also lived on Stone Row, Deepcar (no longer there - new houses on Mill Lane!) and Armitage Road(?) in Deepcar. The last place I lived was Thornbrook Close at Chapeltown.

If anyone could throw any light onto the origins of any of these road names I would be grateful.

Are you sure that Wellington was a sailor? There was another one who had a small part in some battle or other in Belgium.

Does anyone know the origin of "Crookes*?

Its said to come from an old Norse word for a corner of land "KROKR"

Fascinating thread!

Have always wondered why there is a road in Hackenthorpe called "Four Wells Drive" as there is no trace of any wells and the street is over short to have accomodated 4 wells?