Garden Centre Recommendations :)

Dobbies in Chesterfield, wyevale or wyedale nr Balborough have a cafe. There is one good garden center with a cafe near Clumber Park - can't remember what its called.

Wentworth is my favourite - has lovely gardens that you can stroll round too - plenty to keep the whole family occupied.

Thanks suebeedoo. I may google a couple of places mentioned. The problem I have is that we've only got 3 days in Sheffield and my OH aims to sample as much real ale (and buy as much to bring home) as he can. Hence my question about a garden centre near Bradfield, although thankfully Bradfield brewery isn't on my OH's list for this visit as we went there last time.

Thanks suebeedoo. I may google a couple of places mentioned. The problem I have is that we've only got 3 days in Sheffield and my OH aims to sample as much real ale (and buy as much to bring home) as he can. Hence my question about a garden centre near Bradfield, although thankfully Bradfield brewery isn't on my OH's list for this visit as we went there last time.

Well if you go to Rheingold you could pop into the Nags Head afterwards - it's run by Bradfield Brewery and does a tasty pie!

Yes wentworth, got nice cafe, lovely shops, play area and a farm for kids if you want! we love it......

In Wentworth there are two pubs which both sell good beer,I prefer the George myself as the Timothy Taylors is a fine drink.

You could also try the beer in Scholes, it is not too far from Wentworth

The garden centre is turning itself into a pretty good visitor attraction .

http://www.wentworthgardencentre.co.uk/

Valleyside Nurseries on the A57 near Ranmoor (on the long downhill stretch heading away from Sheffield) is grreat. Think they have a coffee shop.

Dunston Hall is quite good and has a cafe too. It's quite petite, but seemed reasonably well stocked.

Very excited about our trip to wentworth tomorrow - I will give you my verdict. Am enjoying all the ideas that are coming through - I need 9 days in a week to try them all :)

My OH has pencilled in a visit to Wentworth and a pub lunch when we are up in Sheffield soon so I'm looking forward to finding out what Sezbetz and her mum think of Wentworth.

Seztbetz did you notice many planters? I want a couple of troughs but haven't found any down here so I'm hoping that Wentworth and/or Rhingold will come up trumps.

Well can I just say that Wentworth is fantastic!!!!!!!

Huge range of very heallthy happy looking plants (the clearance sectuion ones were in better health than a lot I have seen in some other places!)

Yes there were a lot of pots and trough etc.

There is a small et shop, a farm shop, sweet shop, little gift shop. Probvably other things that I have forgotten to mention (oh a small play area for the kids)

They are obviously expanding too as there was some building work going on.

The restaurant is not overpriced for the food that is presented. It isnt the cheapest but hten isnt expensive for a decent lunch out - for example I had a roast veg and Mozz panini which was just under £5 but it was large fresh and came with a lovely fresh salad and good side of coleslaw and an enormous peice of carrot cake for £2.10 I think it was but it was heavenly. the best I have had ever I think!!!

I have four kids but we only had my youngest but went round the little farm (which you pay extra for but not much) and it was lovely. A reasonable amount of animals to look round and a small play area. My little one loved it!

We ventured a little way into the walled garden which also has a hedge maze but decided as we had been there for 4 and a half hours (yes a morning out turned into a day!- we would save that for another day!!

Oh should hadd that the carpark which is very large looked heaving when we got there so I was worried it would be madly busy - but when inside it is so large that it didnt feel busy at all. And important for mums and wheelchair users plenty of room to get the pushchair/wheelchair around the plants which is a bonus with an almost 2 year old who would optherwise find it necessary to run round the flowers rather than browse slowly as us adults wanted to do!

Highly recommended and in fact my mum is taking my younger sister back at the weekend she was so impressed!!

I hope this thread stays active and I would love to hear peoples reviews of other garden centres that have been mentioned already or not. :)

Hi sezbetz just read your post to my OH. I think Wentworth will be on our itinarary. Two things; OH will want a pub lunch so we might not get to sample the restaraunt and we'll be in Sheffield over the August Bank holiday so I guess the place will be packed out. If we do get to Wentworth I will feed back to you.