Dentist- bit of help and or advice needed

wow guys thanks for all your input help and advice its answered beyond doubt all my questions... and its quite clear there is a very serious debate goin on re the mickey mouse dentists out there who only see $... and those that have us at heart!!! so its finding those.

i will be trying to get my self registered at a NHS dentist!!! as per the cheaper tariff!!!!!

thanks again peeps

I had a broken tooth earlier this year - and I'm a dental phobic (some terrible experiences when I was young). But my daughter, my husband and my best friend all go to the same dentist and they'd all said it was the best practice they'd been to. I phoned and got an appointment for the next day and I have to say they have been fantastic.

They referred me on for deep sedation for my extraction and some fillings, and I no longer feel anxious hearing the word 'dentist'. I went privately, but they do take NHS patients - they are called Occudental.

http://www.dentalcaresheffield.co.uk/

Same dentist as me.

wow guys thanks for all your input help and advice its answered beyond doubt all my questions... and its quite clear there is a very serious debate goin on re the mickey mouse dentists out there who only see $... and those that have us at heart!!! so its finding those.

i will be trying to get my self registered at a NHS dentist!!! as per the cheaper tariff!!!!!

thanks again peeps

By the way the dentist at the Manor Top is a good one and are accepting NHS patients i think, the one i refer to is on Hurfield Road

I would just like to add to this thread that it is not THAT easy to train and qualify as a dentist. It takes years of training and hard work. It is not just about drilling and filling. A dentist has to know basic anatomy, drugs and contra-indications, medical illnesses and disease. Dental staff are at risk of contracting said diseases and illnesses daily, sometimes more so than other medical professionals as when we are drilling, the germs in the mouth interact with the aerosol that is coming off the dental handpiece (drill).

I am a Dental Nurse, I work in a very busy NHS practice. At the moment, we are booking appointments for the begining of November. Some days I don't get a break, a drink, a wee. Thats not an exageration. We work very hard and deal with sometimes irate and severly phobic patients. Its not easy.

I understand people are in pain. I have had toothache myself, its not nice. I don't think its fair that people are having to wait so long for appointments. Having said that, we have an emergency service in place for when people have genuine dental emergencies, which unfortunately often gets abused so much so that real emergencies can't be seen.

If anyone has an out of hours emergency, they should ring primecare on 0844 736 8440 for an assesment. The system is very much in demand though as they have a certain amount of slots and it will be prioritised on which case is thought as most serious.

Unfortunately, we do have a shortage of NHS Dentists in the country. When the government changed all NHS Dental contracts a few years ago, it was supposed to mean better access for patients, but because the Dentists have to do a lot more work for less money now, a lot of them decided to 'go private' instead. Thats just the way the world is today though. It is a good idea, that if you are already with an NHS dentist, you should go for regular checkups, so that you are recognised as a patient, this also minimises the risk of you having major problems. Also to attend appointments on time and cancel with plenty of notice if you cannot attend. Our practice has approximately 60 hours a month in time wasted because people miss appointments. Its not really fair when you think of all the people desperate for a dentist is it?

RANT OVER!!

01142335332....One of our practices at Walkley who are currently taking on NHS patients!

Edited by Lozzylozenge
Extra Info!

Broadfield Dental 6, Broadfield Close, Sheffield, South Yorkshire S8 0XN 0114 2550772

NHS and taking on new patients

Mexborough Dental Centre - This is the one that my wife used when her wisdom tooth broke. Waiting time on phone takes hours however it is worth the wait.

I think Rubydazzler should go train to be a dentist if it's so easy and she's willing to work all hours and see anyone randomly off the street, go for it!

I think rubydazzler should go train to be a dentist if it's so easy and she's willing to work all hours and see anyone randomly off the street, go for it!
oooohhhhh, harsh! Would you like some cream in your saucer?

No way would I go poking around in random mouths with a drill ... I'm just speaking from the user point of view. Most other forms of personal service providers, other than dentists and GPs, do work all hours and see anyone randomly off the street, don't they? Been to A&E or to have your hair done or a pedicure lately?

Anyway, I managed to get it sorted temporarily and a proper appointment for sometime in September. I still think it's wrong that they seemed quite willing for me to be in pain with a broken tooth for several weeks, if they hadn't had a cancellation. Although that was the receptionists, to be fair, the dentist was very helpful when I actually saw him. And he didn't hurt me either! :love: