Dentist- bit of help and or advice needed

Hey sheffielders!!

ive been reading the many other dentist threads, however still feel i need to ask some questions if i may?

Ive never really liked going to the dentist but is not a major problem just more an inconvenience> :-(

about 2 years back i broke a tooth and needed an emergency appointment so rung round loads of dentists and happened on one who had an appointment available ( off manor top across the tram tracks from netto)

here are my quires- whats the difference between NHS dentists and private- im assuming obviously the cost etc im in full time work aged 30 so... if i went to an NHS one would it be cheaper that private??

does anyone know if the dentist in question(near manor top) is any good??

do dentists rip you off with cost of treatment etc??

im needing another appointment soon, pain from another broken tooth and was afraid id go, then them look in my mouth then say , yes you need that looking at, then book me in for the following week, and bang a hefty "ive just looked in your mouth" charge... etc

thanks so much for reading and would appreciate anyones help/advice/opinions etc

regards

john

if you go to an NHS dentist but as a private patient (ie: don`t qualify for free/discounted treatment) you will pay private patient dental cost.

it all depends on the individual dentist as to how much the private dental care is, it isusually a costly thing but not something you can do yourself.

You could of course always go to the Charles Clifford, all treatment is free.

if you go to an NHS dentist but as a private patient (ie: don`t qualify for free/discounted treatment) you will pay private patient dental cost.

it all depends on the individual dentist as to how much the private dental care is, it isusually a costly thing but not something you can do yourself.

You could of course always go to the Charles Clifford, all treatment is free.

You can't though, I've just tried that, because I broke a tooth on Friday, a broken tooth isn't classed as an emergency.

Been in pain all weekend, and my dentist, very unhelpful btw, doesn't have a free appointment all month! Have tried a couple of others, who wont see you because they're all full, and also won't see other people's patients.

Sheffield Dental Helpline has suggested co-codomal, and hope that the tooth doesn't fall out and choke me in my sleep. Can I say, it's bloody rubbish, we might as well be living in the third world as far as dental care is concerned. :rant:

You can't though, I've just tried that, because I broke a tooth on Friday, a broken tooth isn't classed as an emergency.

Been in pain all weekend, and my dentist, very unhelpful btw, doesn't have a free appointment all month! Have tried a couple of others, who wont see you because they're all full, and also won't see other people's patients.

Sheffield Dental Helpline has suggested co-codomal, and hope that the tooth doesn't fall out and choke me in my sleep. Can I say, it's bloody rubbish, we might as well be living in the third world as far as dental care is concerned. :rant:

I went recently, had to tell them I was in severe pain (even tho I wasn`t)for them to see me, got me in the day after I rang.

I understand you can just go and wait in reception, you don`t have an appointment so it means you could be there all day.

If you are registered at a dentist then they won`t see you

hope you manage to get your tooth sorted soon ruby, nothing worse than toothache x

By lying, you will have taken an appointment slot for someone in genuine severe agony or at the very least caused more work for the staff who would have had to see patients with swelllings or bleeding as overbookings. People like you, abusing the service are exactly the reason why there is no longer a walk-in servive and there are too many patients for the staff to cope with. Shame on you!!!!!

now now folks...

it is a nightmare but thats a seperate debate... i was just after a bit of a lesson as to how it all works etc...

i take it if im registered then that may be a good thing no??

and that treatment costs are inevitable too??

god i wish i didnt work or was a new arrival...

oops wrong debate again...my appologies!!

thanks for all your coments thus far...

WOW cheers for that, thats quite helpful...

B Shame on you!!!!!

whatever!!:rolleyes:

you don`t know anything about the amount of work I had done or what the problems were.

I was in a lot of pain but had to exaggerate it slightly to get seen.

Hi fordstar

Details on NHS dental charges below. Hope this is helpful. If you've not already seen it, more information on NHS dentists in Sheffield can be found at: http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?p=5990316#post5990316 or on our website: http://www.sheffield.nhs.uk/services/dentists.php

NHS dental charges

The charge you pay depends on the treatment you need to keep your mouth, teeth and gums healthy. You will only ever be asked to pay one charge for each complete course of treatment, even if you need to visit your dentist more than once to finish it - either Band 1, Band 2 or Band 3. If you have to be referred to another dentist for another, separate course of treatment, you can expect a second charge. Some minor treatments are free.

If you are not exempt from charges, you should pay one of the following charges for each course of treatment you receive:

Band 1 course of treatment - £16.50

This covers an examination, diagnosis (e.g. X-rays), advice on how to prevent future problems, a scale and polish if needed, and application of fluoride varnish or fissure sealants. If you require urgent care, even if your urgent treatment needs more than one appointment to complete, you will only need to pay one Band 1 charge.

Band 2 course of treatment - £45.60

This covers everything listed in Band 1 above, plus any further treatment such as fillings, root canal work or if your dentist needs to take out one or more of your teeth.

Band 3 course of treatment - £198.00

This covers everything listed in Bands 1 and 2 above, plus crowns, dentures or bridges.

NHS treatment even for full time workers who pay the full rate is miles cheaper than private, as you can see from the previous post a check up only costs £16.50!

My OH went to a private dentist and ended up £800 lighter with no complete work to show for it. They offered 0% but he didn't even pass the credit check for some odd reason. Luckily we found an NHS dentist who sorted everything out for less than £50.

Just get yourself registered at an NHS dentist. At my dentist you have to go for checkups every 6 months I think it is to stay on the books, but it's a small price to pay to know you'll be able to get cheap help when you need it.

When you go to the NHS dentist they check you over and discuss what needs doing, then you pay for everything there and then (most likely £45.60 if it's just a filling) and make your appointment for the extraction/filling/whatever it is that you need, then you don't have to pay anything when you go in for the work being done.

I'd have paid willingly to get my tooth sorted today. I can't see why the 'medical' profession are so precious about themselves. You can go anywhere and get a hairdo, a pedicure or manicure at almost a moment's notice. All things you could do yourself if really necessary.

But need a filling replaced or a broken tooth mended, or a scrip for meds, and you could have all the money in the world and they want to make you await their pleasure.

I really don't understand why? It's not like you need to be Einstein to be a dentist, is it? And they get paid enough for ferretting about in manky mouths, there should be plenty of them available to private work. :rant: