First driving lessons - help

basically just wondered what happens :help:

how do i approach the car - do i just get in??

what will i do?

where will i go??

:help::help:

I assume you have a driving instructor? They will introduce themselves and tell you what to do. If you are being picked up on a busy road the instructor may drive to a quieter road to start your lesson. He/she will probably explain the basic controls and away you go! The instructor may do the gears/clutch for a while to get you used to steering. Depends on whether you have any driving experience. Different instructors may have different ways of doing things.

I started mine 4weeks ago with safedrive i was very nervous an still am when it comes to the day you wil be fine they will pick you up an take you somewhere quiet mine took me somewhere up stannington i change seats an then became the driver for the 1st time i was so scared an nervous an was panicking that i wouldnt be able to stop the car :hihi:.

all you will do it learn to start then stop abit further down the road trust me by the end of your lesson you will be buzzing enjoy it im sure you will love it im now obsessed at looking at cars now an deciding what car i want when i pass :hihi:

Probably a good idea to attract the instructors attention by waving, then ask for the name of the person they are waiting for to confirm they are waiting for you and not someone else. They will probably say 'get in', but if they don't just ask if you should get in.

my driving instructor picked me up outside my yard (his motor was covered in his company logos) - i got in the passenger seat, he introduced himself and went through the basics etc. we drove just around the corner through crosspool and pulled up on the manchester road. we switched seats, and away i went, tearing down the a57 - i find this approach far better than taking you to a quiet area - gave me loads of confidence, and quickly got used to shifting through the gears. where i live now, there are pupils crawling around at 10mph barely getting out of 2nd gear. i was driving at 50mph in 4th within 20 minutes of my first lesson.

Hi

I have had LOADS of instructors, and every one I have simply walked up to the car when it arrives and get in the passenger seat. First lessons have varied as obviouisly I had become more experienced as time went on and because I swapped instructors but for a very first lesson with little or no experience I would say it would be basically talking to you about the basics, probably them doing most of the driving to quieter roads and letting you have a go at starting and setting off/pulling over. Once I spent an entire lesson in a pub car park steering, doing the number 8 with the car which I thought was daft since we was my 3rd instructor.

Anyway, you will be fine, good luck! I used to be sick with nerves every time my instructors arrived but it got more enjoyable and fell into place. I finally passed this year, first time phew!

Good Luck!

i think it depends on both the instructor and the learner, my first lesson was 15 mins of the instructor driving and explaining what he was doing as he was doing it, then 15 mins in a empty car park driving forward and reversing straight back then doing a few turns.

after that we spent the other hour and half with me driving all over, A roads and doing roundabouts traffic lights left turns right turns changeing lanes the only thing i didnt do was parking.

his overall pass rate was 94%, and he was a ex police driver (motorway chases and all that) his attitude was if i crash the insurance will cover it so chill out and drive. that really boosted my confidence as i was no longer worrying about damaging his car lol.

Generally he/she will drive past beeping the horn. you have to run up along side the car and jump in. It is important you get this right as it will be on the test

I think your first lesson is always the most nerve racking. I was lucky that my husband taught me the basics up on norton years ago, just thinks like clutch control, gear changing ect.

I loved driving but got really nervous when I did my automatic car driving lessons. Can't drive a manual anymore and has not got to passing my test in a manual. So started from scratch but in a automatic due to my disibility. I was so pleased when I finally passed my test, although don't drive unless someone is with me.

As I have my wheelchair and I get fatigued so don't want to be out driving alone and get fatigued and not make it home. You wil be fine after a few lessons, Hope it all goes well. :)

When I learn't to drive I had two different instructors. With the first one I just got on the passanger side with the second he got out of the car and introduced himself so I got straight in the drivers side. You'll be fine don't worry.

It took me ages to get any good at driving but if I can do it anyone can.

My instructor gets into the passangers seat when she pulls up and i just get into the drivers seat but i'm guessing since its your first lesson you'll start off in passenger seat and go to country-side.

I did very little actual driving on my first lesson, just getting to know the car and things (: