Council housing application - de-suspending

Has any one had any problems with sheff council regarding a housing application suspended and then trying to get it de-suspended?

Me and my husband owed the council money which is fair enough but due to the recession etc we have had to go bankrupt we included the debt in it and the receiver has sent letters out to the council informing them of it.

We spoke to someone from rent arrears and was told it is was down to the legal time but we have spoken to them and they send us to someone else, we just keep getting sent round the houses over it .

Has anyone had a similar problem?

I don't quite understand your post. Are you trying to get rehoused? I believe it will be policy not to offer rehousing to tenants with rent arrears. The fact that the arrears were written off by a bankruptcy order means that the Council will never recoup that lost money. So they're hardly gonna be keen to offer to rehouse you. Of course, I'm not judging you, the recession has hit everybody badly, but if I have understood your post, then you really can't expect them to offer to rehouse you.

we are trying to get rehoused as the house were in is too expensive. the council wont tell us anything we just keep getting passed onto different people, as someone who has paid huge amounts in taxes over the last 15years surely were intitled to a little bit of help.

well if you paid taxes why couldnt you pay rent not being nasty but my rule is rent first gas elec food and what ever left over it yours to spend

maybe you could teach the owls a thing or too lol

as someone who has paid huge amounts in taxes over the last 15years surely were intitled to a little bit of help.

We all pay our dues I don’t think that stance will get you very far..

Has any one had any problems with sheff council regarding a housing application suspended and then trying to get it de-suspended?

Me and my husband owed the council money which is fair enough but due to the recession etc we have had to go bankrupt we included the debt in it and the receiver has sent letters out to the council informing them of it.

We spoke to someone from rent arrears and was told it is was down to the legal time but we have spoken to them and they send us to someone else, we just keep getting sent round the houses over it .

Has anyone had a similar problem?

Only thing i can say is that yrs ago i was in a tangle and got into serious rent arrears,got them sorted after 3 yrs,got the court order suspended and they was dead sound....At times,for certain reasons,you get in a tizz,try not to fret coz 1 day itl come good....And please ignore ignorant posts who should think themselves lucky not to have been in your or my position,abeit past for me...soldier on and good luck....

we are trying to get rehoused as the house were in is too expensive. the council wont tell us anything we just keep getting passed onto different people, as someone who has paid huge amounts in taxes over the last 15years surely were intitled to a little bit of help.

Don't get me wrong, I was just trying to understand your post.

I think most people have been in financial difficulties at one time or another. Moving to a cheaper house makes sense, although I don't think Council rents vary much -ours is around £72 per week for a 3 bed house, yet my brother has a one bed upper flat and pays about £60 per week. I suppose that could save you around £40 odd pounds per month, although this would have to be offset against moving costs and redecoration/new carpets etc.

Maybe you could get advice from Citizens advice bureaux? Good luck:thumbsup:

If you feel they are keeping you in the dark, write to your area office. Ask them to provide written confirmation of their policy and how it affects your case.

I don't know what they mean by legal time - I'm no expert, but when I had problems with a 13 year old registration which they had suspended, I wrote to First Point at Hillsborough and also copied letters to the housing manager at Howden House, the councillor responsible for housing, and my local councillor (you could also send one to your MP, who, if I am right in assuming is Meg Munn, will do everything she can to make sure you are treated fairly).

well if you paid taxes why couldnt you pay rent not being nasty but my rule is rent first gas elec food and what ever left over it yours to spend

Without knowing, I'd guess it is unlikely in the extreme that any private landlord is prepared to take on a bankrupt tenant; unless he's of the Peter Rachman, cash-in-hand, three-times-what-it's-worth variety.

Sheffield Council lettings policy states: If you

owe any money to the Housing Service and believe you may want to access

Council or Housing Association housing now or in the future, you should contact Rent Services on 273 5437 to discuss the debt and make a repayment

agreement.

http://www.sheffieldhomes.org.uk/doc.ashx?docID=D8F775B3-6A72-44BC-9759-299D6A633363

It also states:

We will suspend your registration and will not offer you a property if you owe rent arrears or another debt to the Housing Service from a current or former tenancy. We will make an exception to this rule if:

• there is no valid court order; and

• your total debt is ₤250 or less (or will be after any decorating allowance or

home loss payment has been deducted from the debt); and

• you have been keeping to a repayment agreement for at least the last 13

weeks; and

• you have not moved with rent arrears or other debt in the last 3 years.

It doesn't mention people who have been declared bankrupt, if you haven't rung the number above I'd give it a go and see what they have to say. If you still don't get a clear answer, then perhaps its time to speak to a councillor.

But if you are now on a low income and have no capital, don't you qualify for housing benefits in your current property?

thank you all for comments, we've spoken to CAB and they dont see why there would be a problem and we've spent 2 hours with housing soloutions who can't do anything for us as we dont qualify for priority. my husband has been in touch with a woman in income management (who we weren't meant to have got through to) whoose said to post our forms to her and she will chase it up but that could take ages.

we qualify for housing but only a tenner a week and its not worth applying for really.

i think ill speak to my husband about the councillor that sounds like it might be worth trying if i have no joy today .

Edited by vicxxx
not neccesary info