Pubs down the Moor - help please

Bill and Rita Fisher, I think opened the Hermitage in 60s 70s. they moved on to the Shoulder of Mutton in Worrall.

Why does no one remember 'The Grapes'. It was set back from the public toilets, stone faced building. Opposite corner from where 'CURRY'S were trading.

Why does no one remember 'The Grapes'. It was set back from the public toilets, stone faced building. Opposite corner from where 'CURRY'S were trading.
Yes indeed - it can be seen behind the monument in this 1953 photo on the picturesheffield.com site [it was demolished in c. 1958].

The Bricklayers Arms was on Hereford St just off the Moor.

As was the Hereford Arms, they must have had a thing about arms down there.

The pub where MFI was used to be the Boston on Boston street, you could class that as the bottom of the moor at that time

Ken Wright had the Bricklayers Arms then went to the Royal Oak at Coal Aston, Roy Marsh took over the Bricklayers Arms then went on to The Crown on London Road before retiring to Spain

Edited by 13court2

The pub at the moor was called the landsdown

I thought the Grapes was on Trippett Lane which ran parallel with West St.

:confused:

I thought the Grapes was on Trippett Lane which ran parallel with West St.

:confused:

I think the Grapes referred to was at Furnival Street/Moorhead and demolished 1958, long before my drinking time ! Yes there is a Grapes on Trippett Lane and there used to be one on Gower Street (Burngreave).

Cossack and Matillda Tavern

hiya,surely the cossack was down howard st, and the matilda down matilda st