Should Ebuyer be reported for this?

I was wondering id Ebuyer should be reported for their policy of removing all bad reviews of their products from their site. The likes of Amazon etal allow both positive and negative reviews of the products they stock or sell. However I know for a fact Ebuyer delete all negative reviews.

Is this playing by the rules and should they be forced to allow negative reviews or remove the functionality all together from their site. The current review system paints a false picture of their products.

Is there a way to tell how many people have not left good reviews? That in itself would be informative.

A lot of sites won't allow bad reviews because they open themselves up to libel charges if those reviews are unjustifable. Under English law, apparently, a company can sue the website that carries a malicious review, as well as, or instead of, the person who actually wrote it.

Is there a way to tell how many people have not left good reviews? That in itself would be informative.

A lot of sites won't allow bad reviews because they open themselves up to libel charges if those reviews are unjustifable. Under English law, apparently, a company can sue the website that carries a malicious review, as well as, or instead of, the person who actually wrote it.

Not if they state on the site the reviews are not the option of ebuyer but that of the author. Argos have negative reviews on their site and their data servers are in the UK.

Edited by Berberis

I was wondering id Ebuyer should be reported for their policy of removing all bad reviews of their products from their site. The likes of Amazon etal allow both positive and negative reviews of the products they stock or sell. However I know for a fact Ebuyer delete all negative reviews.

Is this playing by the rules and should they be forced to allow negative reviews or remove the functionality all together from their site. The current review system paints a false picture of their products.

I suppose it's the same with film/book reviews..the promoters never show the bad ones....

I think if people want to leave bad reviews about ebuyer or a product they sell they would be better using an independent review site such as reviewcentre.com for this.

Not if they state on the site the reviews are not the option of ebuyer but that of the author. Argos have negative reviews on their site and their data servers are in the UK.

Are reviews instant or pre-moderated by ebuyer?

Are reviews instant or pre-moderated by ebuyer?

The site states neither, but I know they are moderated by ebuyer and only positive reviews are published while negative reviews of any sort are deleted.

Do they remove negative reviews? If so, how come it took me only a couple of minutes to find some negatives on there (such as two for http://www.ebuyer.com/product/161328#reviews posted 28/8/2009 and 23/09/2009 towards the bottom of the page...so plenty of time to remove them)

Plenty more if you look around.

The site states neither, but I know they are moderated by ebuyer and only positive reviews are published while negative reviews of any sort are deleted.

If they pre-moderate (or post moderate after being submitted) them, then they assume legal responsibility for the comments made, regardless of their t's and c's. This may be why they do not publish the negative reviews.

Pincer Masons

Although probably unethical, I highly doubt its illegal or that they have broken any rules. At the end of the day, if they are being dishonest about the reviews left then just shop at Amazon instead.

I'm looking at putting in reviews on my website, but as someone earlier pointed out, it's ME who could get in trouble if someone wrote something about someone that is derogatory.

Reported to who, and what are these "rules" you refer to? Do they have any legal basis?

...didn't think so ;)

Do they remove negative reviews? If so, how come it took me only a couple of minutes to find some negatives on there (such as two for http://www.ebuyer.com/product/161328#reviews posted 28/8/2009 and 23/09/2009 towards the bottom of the page...so plenty of time to remove them)

Plenty more if you look around.

Hmm, well I can say for sure I know they delete the bad reviews as I know one of the people who do it! I also know my own reviews of bad products have never appeared and they were purely objective reviews.

The odd few bad reviews seems to show some slip through the net. But that doesn't change the fact I know 100% that they employ people to delete bad reviews from their site.