School duplicating machines...

I was a Hay Fever sufferer.

It never occurred to me that the reason the smell of the methylated spirit exam papers made my mouth go dry, made me sneeze and my eyes run was because I was allergic to those sensations.(This was in the sixties)

Nowadays, perhaps, I’d have had a scribe or extra time or whatever ?

Block & Anderson (B and A) used to have place at Handsworth in the 1960s. It was somewhere near the old Plaza Cinema.

Edited by fatrajah

On a related note, I remember my Mum (who was an electrical draughtsman) using a Dyeline machine to copy big A1 and A0 diagrams as there was no other way to copy it. It used ammonia and was vile.

I am also a great fan of the Banda duplicator. I used one of these when I attended Jordanthorpe School and thanks to the secretary (Mrs R. Smith) who explained the way these and others used at the school worked I got a job at the NHS offices at Fulwood in-charge of the printing dept. The two main makes in the UK were Banda (made by Block & Anderson Ltd) and Fordigraph (made by Frank R Ford Ltd). The colour pigment is in the carbon paper sheet used to make the master copy and there was 7 coloures the fluid used is clear and is a Methanol & Isopropyl alcohol mix. Methanol is highly toxic if drunk hense the strong wild rose cent but the fumes are only inflammable and the fumes may make you light headed so plenty of ventilation is required. The HSE data sheet is online for both alcohols. These machines do come up on Ebay and other auctions and car-boot sales etc. Mthanol and IPA are available at chemical suppliers I buy it from Durrant chemicals.

On a personal note, are you MG, if so, I recall you from my days with WRG.

I can't pm you until you've posted 5 times but, I don't want to give your ID away.

Regards,

Duffems

On a related note, I remember my Mum (who was an electrical draughtsman) using a Dyeline machine to copy big A1 and A0 diagrams as there was no other way to copy it. It used ammonia and was vile.

My first week at my first job after leaving school was just that...dreadful :)

Try Offset Suppies 0114 243 3333 ask for Keith, or Freelance Offset Survices

Tel/Fax: 01909560060 ask for Mandy, Hot Metal Press in Elsecar Heritage Centre use to have a few old bit's of kit lying around. As an exprinter these Gestetners are long gone may be an antique shop, did you know the printing sheet you typed onto for Gestetners were made from recycled banana skins I kid you not and it was spirit based ink they used or try Clive on 07739949476 or Andy on 07887735833 they are all printing related contacts who may know of someone who has one tucked away some were, good hunting.

On a personal note, are you MG, if so, I recall you from my days with WRG.

I can't pm you until you've posted 5 times but, I don't want to give your ID away.

Regards,

Duffems

Yes I am MG and I do remember WRG and some of the staff.

Yes I am MG and I do remember WRG and some of the staff.

Unfortunately, until you've made 5 posts I can't private mail you. I used to look after your account at Fulwood. Long time ago now but, I'm pleased to hear that you're still around!

Regards,

Duffems

B & A had offices in most towns the factory was at Newton Aycliffe the building is still there housing a Fitness Studio the post code is DL5 6HP

Just in case anyone is interested  there is a Fordigraph  Consul spirit duplicator on ebay this is the same as the Banda model 100.  I have used one of these and they are well designed  and easy to use  the carbons and fluid are readily available. The one for sale may need  some TLC such as new pipes which is not difficult  and the price is reasonable.  I do not recommend the Banda portable also on ebay this model is not very easy to use.

Does anyone have a copy of the instructions for the following Fordigraph duplicator model 100 or the Banda 100 I am happy to pay  copy and postage costs .

This machine was the bane of my life in my first job as office junior 1969, I’d emerge from the print room/stationary cupboard covered in ink. Neither of the two 15 year olds who followed me mastered the beast either