School duplicating machines...

I remover using a stylus and a waxy sheet but cannot remember name of it! Was at Ashleigh School back then!

gestetner?

Aha! the old Banda machine!  Fond memories for me, and I loved the smell. As school swots, my friend and  I offered to be our school office assistants. Came in very handy in the lead up to tests. The doddery old biology teacher gave us the test papers for all years and subjects to copy on that machine, in the windowless stationery/copying room. We couldn't believe our luck.  High on fumes and right arm muscles like superman by the end. Made a fortune though at 3d a time! The grades were all up that year lol. Of course we issued instructions with the copies we sold that a few questions should be answered wrongly to avoid raising suspicion.  Those were the days!

Not just in schools:

At BSC  Tinsley Park all the paperwork produced for the rolling mills was created on electric Banda machines operated under a ventilation hood in IBPC.

A "master" was produced  from the information provided by the planners, the melting shop and test house.

This "master" was used to generate about 20 coloured cards for the different finishing areas.

For most of the time the documentation was distributed by miles of vacuum tubes connecting the departments.

Each tube was set with a combination which made a different noise  as the air passed through. The different noises triggered switches to direct the tubes to the correct department.

Computer were used toward the end but the Bandas were kept as backup.

Was always called "the bander" at Ashleigh. I never liked the smell of the prints. They were quite often damp when handed out.

In the early 60s I remember my dad having a Gestetner duplicating machine.  He had his own small printing business in the city centre.   He also used to print out the regular Fellowship Magazine for ex servicemen.