Woodhouse Elections

I take it, that comment was about me then?

Found it - thought it had gone quiet - .

Think so Mr Postman.

You did not answer my previous question - do you think you can win?

This seat will be an easy Labour hold, but there's some interest in seeing who comes second.

Back in May, the Lib Dems took second place, a little ahead of the Tories, with UKIP further back, and the Greens last. The BNP didn't stand (perhaps because there was an English Democrat candidate, who polled badly).

But... back in 2008, the Tories took second, narrowly ahead of the Lib Dems and UKIP. In 2007, UKIP took second, narrowly ahead of the Tories and Lib Dems, and in 2006 it was Lib Dem, UKIP, Tory in 2nd, 3rd and 4th (the Greens were a way behind, coming last on all occasions).

Will the Lib Dems fade away now that they are in national coalition with the Tories? Will that help any other parties in particular - can the Tories get back in to second? Are UKIP a spent force here? And how will the BNP do? They haven't bothered standing since 2004, when they came a little behind UKIP.

OK, on one level it doesn't matter who comes second, third and fourth, but it will tell us something about how the parties are faring in Sheffield.

The most impressive and hardworking candidates may have an influence over the result rather than just what has happened in the past or what is happening or portrayed in the media.

The most impressive and hardworking candidates may have an influence over the result rather than just what has happened in the past or what is happening or portrayed in the media.

They might have some impact, but most people won't meet any of the candidates and will either vote for the same party year in, year out, or base their vote on national politics and their view of the council. Unless somebody makes a terrible mistake, or is particularly well-known for some reason, personalities just aren't that important in local politics.

In an ideal world that would be perfectly lovely espadrille.

But, alas, the political system we have and the way the parties campaign rather opposes such a utopian vision.

For instance a Lib Dem leaflet usually consists of a big bar chart saying only the Lib Dems can win none of the other candidates can because they don't care about the area. Or some other such rubbish. The party you were a candidate for espadrille don't have a great reputation for nice, local straigh-forward fair campaigning.

Anyway. I'm interested to see how the BNP do.

They are bigging themselves up a bit, and obviously fancy their chances.

But.

A.) The Libs are unpopular locally and on their way out of the council.

B.) The Libs/Coalition are also taking some flak nationally - and I believe Clegg and the party are so low in the polls they run the risk of joining the 'others bracket' (with Greens and UKIP etc).

C.) Conservatives have no chance

D.) Nor do UKIP.

So I can only see a massive win for Labour here. But just interested to see how BNP fair behind them.

But, alas, the political system we have and the way the parties campaign rather opposes such a utopian vision.

For instance a Lib Dem leaflet usually consists of a big bar chart saying only the Lib Dems can win none of the other candidates can because they don't care about the area. Or some other such rubbish. The party you were a candidate for espadrille don't have a great reputation for nice, local straigh-forward fair campaigning.

But.

B.) The Libs/Coalition are also taking some flak nationally - and I believe Clegg and the party are so low in the polls they run the risk of joining the 'others bracket' (with Greens and UKIP etc).

D.) Nor do UKIP.

So I can only see a massive win for Labour here. But just interested to see how BNP fair behind them.

:thumbsup: yes will be very interesting to see where we will come and how many votes we will gain.

Found it - thought it had gone quiet - .

Think so Mr Postman.

You did not answer my previous question - do you think you can win?

Well all i can say is, i think it will be a close one between us and Labour. No one knows untill the results are in.

They might have some impact, but most people won't meet any of the candidates and will either vote for the same party year in, year out, or base their vote on national politics and their view of the council. Unless somebody makes a terrible mistake, or is particularly well-known for some reason, personalities just aren't that important in local politics.

I beg to differ.

I think that hard working candidates are what the local electorate want.

When I vote in local elections I vote for the candidate that is the hardest working in my community, who listens to my concerns when I get in touch and takes action when it is required. I dont believe that the electorate vote necessarily for the party who has their local interests at heart in the same way that they want a party to run the Country.After all as many people have said before The wheels of Westminster are alien to many local people.

Personalities are very important in politics. Local or otherwise. It is the same in business. People buy from you if they like you, trust you and believe that you will do what you said you will do. Of course if you let them down then they wont vote for you again, just like they wont do business with you again.

But.

D.) Nor do UKIP.

And you know this because?

I beg to differ.

I think that hard working candidates are what the local electorate want.

When I vote in local elections I vote for the candidate that is the hardest working in my community, who listens to my concerns when I get in touch and takes action when it is required. I dont believe that the electorate vote necessarily for the party who has their local interests at heart in the same way that they want a party to run the Country.After all as many people have said before The wheels of Westminster are alien to many local people.

Personalities are very important in politics. Local or otherwise. It is the same in business. People buy from you if they like you, trust you and believe that you will do what you said you will do. Of course if you let them down then they wont vote for you again, just like they wont do business with you again.

I don't doubt that, if you did a survey, most people would want hard-working candidates who are trustworthy and have pleasant personalities. But, given that most voters won't ever meet any of the candidates, unless, as I say, they are involved in some scandal or are particularly well-known, it won't make any significant difference.

And you know this because?

Election results. Recent issues. Posts on here (which I know are somewhat biased - but both ways).

Lets look at the evidence.

A.) Recent local election results. You previously won Hillsborough by over a thousand. You lost this time. Same in Ecclesfield, Mosborough and Gleadless.

Granted; the national vote had a bearing on these results because of higher turnout. But the Hillsborough one is the most significant as the previous majority was so high.

B.) Joining in a coalition with the conservatives in a coalition is not popular in a city like Sheffield. Perhaps in the wealthy leafy suburbs of the south-west where in general the conservatives have a degree of support. But you always win here. Control of the council is determined by Lib/Lab marginals. You lost all of them last time - and if your national rating contnues and issues like Forgemasters crop up that will have a bearing.

C.) Recent parish council elections. You got THUMPED. Not just beaten. Thumped. When was the last tie Libs lost two by-elections in one night? Not only that but in two (assumed) safe council seats of Stannington and Stocksbridge. In one election you polled 30% of the vote in a two horse race. The other you lost to an Independent and came dangerously close to coming third.

So add all of these factors and the future does not look bright - nor orange.

Granted you could argue this, that and the other about stats.

But you have lost a lot this year.

Hence by assertion about your unpopularity is justified.

Which I believe will result in you losing control of the council next May.

Well all i can say is, i think it will be a close one between us and Labour. No one knows untill the results are in.

Very true.