New Asda at Parson Cross - Megathread

Your new Asda store in Sheffield will be opening on Monday 19th September.

The manager at Asda Chaucer is Steve Ryan.

Opening times...

Monday 8am - Midnight

Tuesday 24 hours

Wednesday 24 hours

Thursday 24 hours

Friday 24 hours

Saturday Closes at 10pm

Sunday 11am - 5pm

At this 24 hour store...

Disabled Facilities

Baby Changing

George Fashion

Photo Department

Cafe

Pharmacy (Asda pharmacies don't just dispense prescriptions -

we also offer health and wellbeing services that can save you a trip to the GP.)

Product ranges...

Rotisserie

Fish Counter

Pizza Counter

Bakery Counter

Deli Counter

Food to Go

Electrical goods

You'll Love It.

If you follow the instructions in the Highway Code, you'll then understand that Deerlands is no longer a left turn but what is classed as an intermediate turn (hence the straight ahead arrow). So using the middle lane AND NOT SIGNALLING LEFT until you have passed the store entrance is the correct way to do it.

The turn onto Chaucer shouldn't really cause you a problem though, as You should go into the left hand lane and them it merely involves a lane change as you approach the second roundabout, albeit a very quick one.

It'll be interesting to see what response I get from the council

So are you suggesting that people wanting to head down Yew Lane should:

1. Get into the middle lane that shows a straight on arrow.

2. Turn left up Deerlands (despite the straight on arrow) and immediately get into the left hand lane.

3. Quickly cut across into the right hand lane on Deerlands and

4. Turn right at the roundabout as normal?

That maybe the correct procedure (I have to confess to being unsure), but how many drivers do you think will realise that is the way to do it?

I think there will be a lot of drivers putting their own interpretation on what they should be doing and that will lead to chaos......they really haven't made it very clear.

Regards

Doom

If you want to turn right at the second island, you should be in the right hand lane on the approach to the first island. If they are classing Deerlands (north) as straight on, the road markings clearly indicate that the middle and right hand lane are the lanes to takefor that exit.

So:

Left lane - store only

Middle lane - left onto Deerlands (north) for the left turn or straight on at the second island.

Right lane - left into Deerlands (north) ready for right turn at second island, straight onto Wordsworth and right into Deerlands (south)

So the right hand lane is for all three exits, crazy!

So are you suggesting that people wanting to head down Yew Lane should:

1. Get into the middle lane that shows a straight on arrow.

2. Turn left up Deerlands (despite the straight on arrow) and immediately get into the left hand lane.

3. Quickly cut across into the right hand lane on Deerlands and

4. Turn right at the roundabout as normal?

That maybe the correct procedure (I have to confess to being unsure), but how many drivers do you think will realise that is the way to do it?

I think there will be a lot of drivers putting their own interpretation on what they should be doing and that will lead to chaos......they really haven't made it very clear.

Regards

Doom

Thatr is exactly what I'm saying and I agree 100% that it will cause chaos.

Thats why I've contacted the council and await their response

If you want to turn right at the second island, you should be in the right hand lane on the approach to the first island. If they are classing Deerlands (north) as straight on, the road markings clearly indicate that the middle and right hand lane are the lanes to takefor that exit.

So:

Left lane - store only

Middle lane - left onto Deerlands (north) for the left turn or straight on at the second island.

Right lane - left into Deerlands (north) ready for right turn at second island, straight onto Wordsworth and right into Deerlands (south)

So the right hand lane is for all three exits, crazy!

To be strictly correct, the MIDDLE lane should be used for turning up Deerlands, although exceptionally the right hand lane can be. The danger with using the right hand lane is that someone going onto Wordsworth will use the middle lane and you'll effectively be cutting them up.

To be technically correct, you should use middle lane and then do a lane change as you approach the second roundabout

I agree Saxon, but the road markings show both middle AND right lane for straight on (Deerlands north)

Thatr is exactly what I'm saying and I agree 100% that it will cause chaos.

Thats why I've contacted the council and await their response

Thanks Saxon, let's hope the council take notice of you, because if they don't I'm sure they'll have to take notice of Direct Line and the many other insurance companies who will be contacting them after a few weeks of accidents.

Regards

Doom

So here I the response I've just this minute received.

It seems the the council are once again burying their head in the sand, and I think the bit about not preferring one supplier over another is absolutely ludicrous! They'd obviously rather have lots of accidents.

"We act as Highways Design Engineers for Asda on the scheme at Chaucer Road, Sheffield and have been passed your complaint by Sheffield Council Highways.

As designers of the highway scheme the original intention for the making of the three lane approach to the roundabout was to include the wording ‘STORE’ below the left turn arrow to provide clarity to road users.

This proposal was not accepted by the Highway Authority as the council as a policy will not accept road markings which are considered to promote a certain service provider over another (my bold), and the inclusion of this road marking was considered such. It was also felt that the signage for the new store, both temporary and permanent, would provide sufficient warning to road users of the new arrangement. Having received several complaints on this issue we have re-opened this discussion with the Highway Authority, however currently the stance has not changed from the design stage and the supplementary markings will not be authorised.

In terms of additional road marking for the left turn lane, we note your suggestions. However when designing such junctions we need to consider other aspects such as maintenance and HGV vehicle movements. In this particular case providing the road markings suggested would result in the provision of insufficient lane width for HGV turning right onto Deerlands Avenue, and due to the anticipated large numbers of vehicles accessing the store the road markings would wear off very quickly.

As mentioned previously, we have received several complaints in the same regard and these have been duly noted and we are in dialogue with the council to find a suitable resolution."

Comments invited

This proposal was not accepted by the Highway Authority as the council as a policy will not accept road markings which are considered to promote a certain service provider over another (my bold), and the inclusion of this road marking was considered such.

That's the pottiest thing I've heard for a while! OK, if the marking said "come and visit Asda for the cheapest prices!" I could understand their reasoning.... but a simple "STORE ONLY"??

People are so used to left at that roundabout being up Deerlands that they're bound to use it incorrectly. Happened to us again today - we were forced over to the right hand of the two new lanes (which we needed anyway, but not quite so soon!) by traffic in the left turn lane actually going up Deerlands and stealing the left hand of the two new lanes.

Well they've got the road markings down for the approach along Wordsworth (from town) and they will cause confusion!

There are three lanes. Left lane for Superstore and Deerlands Road, middle AND right lane for straight on to Wordsworth and right hand lane for right turn to Deerlands.

That means there are two lanes for straight on, but only one lane on the exit!

Surely that can't be right :loopy:

the approach along wordsworth is common sense really.

left hand lane for store and deerlands lefthand carriageway

middle lane for straight on and left onto deerlands exiting onto right carriageway for those turning right at chaucer roundabout.

righthand lane for right turn.

that`s how i do it. simples:thumbsup: