New Asda at Parson Cross - Megathread

On Sundays ASDA Chaucer will be open 11 till 5

NOT 10 till 4.

Good - it bugs me how *every* big supermarket in Sheffield is 10-4 on a Sunday - if one was 12-6 it'd have two hours of shoppers to itself (for lazy sods like me)!

The joys of Capitalism - everywhere competing by being exactly the same

Well they've got the road markings down for the approach along Wordsworth (from town) and they will cause confusion!

There are three lanes. Left lane for Superstore and Deerlands Road, middle AND right lane for straight on to Wordsworth and right hand lane for right turn to Deerlands.

That means there are two lanes for straight on, but only one lane on the exit!

Surely that can't be right :loopy:

That's what I thought but I've been thinking about it.

As far as i can see, the left hand lane is for the store ONLY, and the exit that previously was a left onto Deerlands is now classed as a straight ahead, as is the exit onto Wordsworth. You should therefore use the middle lane for both Deerlands (north) and Wordsworth, and the right hand lane for Deerlands (south).

It's taken me quite a while to work it out and*I agree, though, that it will cause much confusion and possible accidents

...As far as i can see, the left hand lane is for the store ONLY, and the exit that previously was a left onto Deerlands is now classed as a straight ahead, as is the exit onto Wordsworth. You should therefore use the middle lane for both Deerlands (north) and Wordsworth, and the right hand lane for Deerlands (south).

That came to me this morning.

Bearing in mind that Deerlands is now TWO lanes on the stretch between the two roundabouts and that they are classing Deerlands as straight on, maybe it's:

Left hand lane (signposted left) for Superstore only

Middle lane (signposted straight on) for left turn into Deerlands, staying on left hand side of two lane stretch.

Right hand lane ( signposted straight on and right) for left turn into Deerlands, staying on right hand side of two lane stretch plus right turn onto Wordsworth and Deerlands(south)

That's the only way the markings make sense :huh:

theire stockin it now as i type it opens nxt week and its massive inside theres wheel chais scooters for the disabled im going to go and av a look round b4 it opens

It's an impressive building with a street-level, covered car park.

(Actually, no cars allowed - it's just for the kids when it rains and

a shelter for the little dears when it's time to spare a penny for the guy.

Anyway, skate boarders have a right to zoom around and stay dry.)

Having spoken to someone at the council responsible for the road markings, I can confirm that straight on is indeed left to Deerlands.

That means if your going straight on to Wordsworth or right to Deerlands, you should use the right hand lane only.

Thanks for that.

I've now added my four penn'orth by sending the following email. I'll let you know what reply I get.

To [email protected]

"As work on the new Asda on Wordsworth Avenue comes to an end, I see that the road works outside the new store are now ending and unfortunately, I can see major problems if some amendments are not made.

As you approach the store along Wordsworth Avenue, heading away from the city centre, you come to a roundabout where Wordsworth Avenue meets Deerlands Avenue. At this point, there are three lanes immediately before the roundabout - a left turn only, and two straight aheads. However, on the roundabout, there are only two lanes.

In my job as a professional driving instructor, I have to teach learner drivers how to interpret road markings and I must admit it has taken me some long hard thought to work this one out. As far as i can see, the left hand lane is for the store ONLY (although it is not marked as such), and the exit that previously was a left onto Deerlands is now classed as a straight ahead, as is the exit onto Wordsworth. You should therefore use the middle lane for both Deerlands (north) and Wordsworth, and the right hand lane for Deerlands (south).

If its taken me a while to work it out, how do you expect the average motorist to do? They have been used to turning left from Wordsworth onto Deerlands north for so long that I am almost certain they will continue to do so from the lane marked as a left turn lane. When they then meet traffic doing it correctly, ie using the middle lane for Deerlands north, I forsee many many accidents occuring.

This can be so easily remedied by adding some wording to the left hand lane such as 'Store only' and also adding an extra line on the roundabout itself to separate the left hand lane from the others.

If not, then mayhem will commence next Monday when the store opens."

...This can be so easily remedied by adding some wording to the left hand lane such as 'Store only' and also adding an extra line on the roundabout itself to separate the left hand lane from the others.

The person I spoke to said they had wanted to add "Store only" to the lane markings but this was refused by the council!

It really is an accident waiting to happen.

Since the left turn arrow was painted on the road, we've assumed that it meant store only, and so got into the middle lane to go from Wordsworth Avenue onto the new two lane section of Deerlands... then moved over to the right hand of the two lanes for a right turn at the next roundabout (down Chaucer Road towards Yew Lane).

But every time we've done this, we've then found that people in the left turn lane aren't actually turning left, but also going up Deerlands. It's a good job we move over to the right (for the later right turn) or we'd both be competing for the same bit of road.

Having said that, a bus was in the left lane today, and then also wanted the right hand lane to turn down Chaucer, so he moved across all three lanes within about 20 yards!

At the moment we know to expect this, as the shop isn't open, so no-one is really turning left. But come Monday.... anything could happen!

Well I've come home this way a few times now and I'm completely at a loss as to which lane I should be in.

I'm coming along Wordsworth Avenue, then heading left up Deerlands and then wanting to turn right at the next roundabout heading towards Yew Lane.

Last Friday I got into the left hand lane. today I followed a learner driver and used the middle lane.

The learner was clearly confused, because he/she then went into the left hand lane up Deerlands and had to cut across traffic to get back into the right hand lane to head towards Yew Lane.

It's ridiculous how confusing they've made this, it's an accident(s) waiting to happen.

The middle lane points straight ahead only, which suggests two lanes of traffic heading down Wordswoth Avenue.....Surely this isn't what they mean?

Regards

Doom

If you follow the instructions in the Highway Code, you'll then understand that Deerlands is no longer a left turn but what is classed as an intermediate turn (hence the straight ahead arrow). So using the middle lane AND NOT SIGNALLING LEFT until you have passed the store entrance is the correct way to do it.

The turn onto Chaucer shouldn't really cause you a problem though, as You should go into the left hand lane and them it merely involves a lane change as you approach the second roundabout, albeit a very quick one.

It'll be interesting to see what response I get from the council