Can my landlady do this

As a landlord myself I can tell you she is bang out of order and doesnt have a cat in hells chance.

1. You will I guess be on an assured shorthold tenancy. If she wants you out she have to give you a notice to quit if the tenancy is a rolling one. If not, she has to evict for non payment of rent. Regardless of these, it's AT LEAST two months before she can boot you out.

2. If it goes to court for you being behind on your rent once, for maybe a week or so, the judge will give your landlandy the rollocking she deserves and will probably order her to pay your costs and then send her packing. Judges are sympatheic especially in these times to people being a bit late on rent now and then. I'd not even consider evicting until someone missed a full month and looked like they would never be able to pay it back, even then I'd probably come to an agreement to extract it from the deposit rather than boot someone ouot

3. You dont have to let her in. You have "quiet enjoyment" of the premises, if she wants in without good reason then she is in trouble. Tell her to stay out.

4. Save all the messages etc she hs sent you and keep a diary. This will prove

harrassment. She's way over the line and is going to be in deep trouble if she carries on

5. Remember. It's your house. YOU havea right to be there - the landlady doesn't until a court gives her that right. Stand your ground.

im up bright and early to go and see cab this morning, when she has left i will update you all with what she has said and intends to do.... i bet i will need further advice because i have a feeling this isnt going to be pretty, especially now she has resulted in bully boy tatics, i recived a text this morning at 6.10!

saying "i hope you are up and packing you have alot to get through in such a short space of time and just to let you know im going to be arranging viewings for GOOD tennants later on today" !!!! .

If she continues to bully you, tell her you are going to report her for harrasment.

she def dosnt have a leg to stand on an the judge will just give her such a rollocking for wasting judges time an dont take any threats to heart she sound s like a right bully keep all messages an dont reply to them x

Hi..

First of all I cannot believe that your landlady isnt at least being a little sympathetic or understanding towards you.

I lost my job last summer and 3 years ago sustained a very serious injury to my leg which has only got worse. This makes job hunting very hard, i fell behind by around 3 months rent in febuary but have lived in this property for 2 and a half years,this being the first time i had fallen behind,since then to this date i still have not caught up with what im behind with. She has been quite understanding and asks for a month and a half rent every month to catch up but understands when i cannot give her the half. She text me last week asking for rent and i text her back explaining that i wouldnt have it until next week and she was fine and she knows im being completely honest with her.

This month i will be giving her 2 months rent i have got together which pays for may and june but wont be able to pay her for july until end of august.

However even though im behind she knows that i will give her something and not trying to avoid her. Its a little different though becuase where as you say that the property is really nice this is just a one bedroomed flat that is very compact and a little shower room which has quite a bad case of damp. (but not a bed sit) as i have all seperate rooms of bedroom,kitchen,living room and shower room. but the layout of the flat isnt very good at all.

I can understand a landlord/landlady being quite protective of there property and also making sure that the rent is being payed,but i believe if there isnt a friendly relationship between tenant and landlord/landlady. Im moving soon into a private rented property (somewhere bigger) and when i start looking i dont only view the house but also try to base an opinion on the landlord/landlady.

Well not really, unless you have the time and mental capacity to "stick it to 'em".

I am a determined person, Tony. As Reeves and Mortimer might have phrased it, "I wouldn't let it lie"!

I was not prepared to let the LL get away with doing to someone else what he did to me and my hubby. We felt a moral obligation to say "the buck stops here". The environmental health department agreed, that he should be prevented from letting the property to another tenant until the serious defects they found in the survey were made safe.

Hi..

First of all I cannot believe that your landlady isnt at least being a little sympathetic or understanding towards you.

I lost my job last summer and 3 years ago sustained a very serious injury to my leg which has only got worse. This makes job hunting very hard, i fell behind by around 3 months rent in febuary but have lived in this property for 2 and a half years,this being the first time i had fallen behind,since then to this date i still have not caught up with what im behind with. She has been quite understanding and asks for a month and a half rent every month to catch up but understands when i cannot give her the half. She text me last week asking for rent and i text her back explaining that i wouldnt have it until next week and she was fine and she knows im being completely honest with her.

This month i will be giving her 2 months rent i have got together which pays for may and june but wont be able to pay her for july until end of august.

However even though im behind she knows that i will give her something and not trying to avoid her. Its a little different though becuase where as you say that the property is really nice this is just a one bedroomed flat that is very compact and a little shower room which has quite a bad case of damp. (but not a bed sit) as i have all seperate rooms of bedroom,kitchen,living room and shower room. but the layout of the flat isnt very good at all.

I can understand a landlord/landlady being quite protective of there property and also making sure that the rent is being payed,but i believe if there isnt a friendly relationship between tenant and landlord/landlady. Im moving soon into a private rented property (somewhere bigger) and when i start looking i dont only view the house but also try to base an opinion on the landlord/landlady.

Ashley,

Some landlords and landladies can be reasonable and understanding. Some are utter (*insert expletive of your choice here*)

Some landlords take their responsibilities seriously, and ensure the tenant has a well maintained and safe property to live in. Others just don't give a hoot about the Landlord and Tenant Act, nor any moral obligations they have toward ensuring repairs are carried out to their properties.

I know one chap who was in a 3 bedroomed house with his family, and only two of the bedrooms were habitable. There was a hole in the roof which the landlord had refused to repair for five or six years. The hole had allowed the ceiling to come down in the defective bedroom and the room was in a terrible state with damp, too (as it wasn't weather-tight)

This chap moved out of the property, about two years ago, and the landlord has only just got round to putting some Tarpaulin over the roof. The council had tried pretty much everything in their power to get the LL do carry out his duty of repair, but he is a low-life, slimy (*expletive*).

Yes I agree that with a really friendly or layed back landlord,landlady may equal to a landlord not living up to there responsibilities. However the landlady did try to fix the damp in my flat once she sent builders round but i was out and didnt let me know they were coming and she said she would sort them out but didnt hear anything more. She makes sure the Combi boiler is serviced once a year and any issues or problems i got she sorts out. I would like someones advice on something, to cut a long story short i am expecting quite a large payout soon for an accident i had 2 and a half years ago, i dont have a guarantor or work at the minute due to my injuries, however i am wanting somewhere a bit bigger and keep looking in the paper for private rented properties, I am wanting a semi detatched with at least 2 bedrooms and maybe a garage and would be willing to offer a years rent up front on the basis that is was a long term tenancy agreement, what are the chances of my getting somewhere with this kind of offer?

Don't you have a Tenancy Agreement, which sets out hers and your responsibilities. In other words, what you can and should do and what she can and should do.

She can't make you pay your rent before the due date and her being behind on her Mortgage is not your problem unless its for the house your living in and then you might be facing eviction from her lender.

She also cannot throw you out without proper notice and that should also be in your Tenancy agreement.

If you paid a bond it should be held in the Deposit Protection Scheme (DPS) then she can claim that back towards any rent arrears.

Also the Landlord is NOT ALLOWED to just show up and gain entry unless it is an emergency.

You MUST go to the Citizens Advice Bureau sooner rather than later and take the Tenancy Agreement if you have one. They will be able to help you.

Please let us know what happens if you can.

LL2

I do believe that the landlord is obliged to supply the tenant with a tenancy agreement and a rent book by law, under the Landlord And Tenant Act.

she came round last night, very dispionted with me she said, quite bitchy and close to tears... at one piont i thought she was going to cry!

she said i want me money by the end of next week and i want you out by then, my husband then told her our rights as stated by cab she said " i just knew you would go to cab every one does! and if you even think of squating im my property i would make your life hell for the 2 months, so much so you would wish you got out when you could" my husband lost it! told her to get out, we have done nothing but try and help her, be reasonable and truthfull with her and this is how she goes off! she said all the money she has is just enough to pay for her own bills she hasnt got any spare, now the dd for her mortgage as been returned and she is in trouble! my hubby then said to her " does the inland revenue know yor letting this property out! you want to have seen her face when she realised we were more clued up then she thought, and has for being in trouble.... how does she think we feel we have lost our home and because we wont proberly find another in time we are going to be on the streets,

then it all changed, she said i will strike a deal with you, if you promise to leave before a week on sunday i will charge you no more rent, you can just go and i wont want any money from you, we said no thats not fair we are not scrubbers we like to pay our way, all this was never about avoiding to pay the rent it was just going to be a few days late, and anyway she has just said she cant afford to live herself now and now she suggesting this, very odd!

anyway after a long and winded debate for nearly 3 hours! we decided to take her up on her offer and get out by the sunday, either that or she said she would make our lives hell and to be honest i havent got the strength to fight her, its making me ill and so stressed. so we are now looking for another property and i just know we wont find one like this, i love it here and im so sad and upset.

clutching at straws i phoned her last night late on, i told her ive got the money this friday so if i give it to her can we stay here please, its only 2 days late then, she said no i want you out end of story.

we are now packing up our things and desperatly searching the net for other property.

i got a phone call this morning from the landlady, she said someone wants to view our home will we be in at 6 tonight to let them in and show them round,

we are too tiered to fight and just said yes we will be in.

so thats it, thats what happened and happening and we have lost our home for the sake of a couple of days rent. anyway thought id just let you know.

it may be worth going to the council and registering as homeless, if the worst comes to the worst..

DRS, hold fast, and don't jump the gun:- she CAN'T get you out without a legal eviction order.

don't leave until you have somewhere to go.

don't let her inimidate you, cos that's the blatant tactics she is using, being threatening, and pretending to be upset etc...

I don't know that she's got the right to demand the prospective tenant be allowed in, when she hasn't even given you a legal notice to quit.