Is Sheffield becoming cosmopolitan?

cities'

If you're going to start reply criticising punctuation, at least get yours right!

I know! :blush: I havered about it, and then it was tooooo late! The curse of the spelling/grammar pedant had struck again.

Whenever one tries to be clever about something, one invariably makes a similar mistake oneself. I should have known better. My bad! :hihi:

*slaps self hard*

I would have used a semicolon after the word "oversight". Not technically incorrect - but better use of punctuation would make your posts less cumbersome.:hihi:
You're quite right, of course. Running sentences are a bad fault of mine, and one I find hard to cure. See? I did it again just there :blush:

Why does a general question /topic have to veer off into a spat over grammer ??

Surely the whole purpose of the forum is to generate ideas / comment etc about events / issues in Sheffield !

You're quite right, of course. Running sentences are a bad fault of mine, and one I find hard to cure. See? I did it again just there :blush:

Wind well and truly taken out of my sails! I'm so desperately tired of trying to turn everything into an argument lately:D

Why does a general question /topic have to veer off into a spat over grammer ??

Surely the whole purpose of the forum is to generate ideas / comment etc about events / issues in Sheffield !

Would that be Kelsey Grammer? He sure knows how to spell:P

Not quite Sheffield but its about as cosmopolitan as it gets.

Like that. I know a few people like that...only eat 'traditional' food...curry???.....Italian???....Cous Cous??? Lardy-da snap they call it! :huh::huh:

Why does a general question /topic have to veer off into a spat over grammar ??

It wasn't a genuine 'spat', it was mere teasing . But again, you're quite right to call us to order over our levity. :(

Back to the topic. There is a significant minority of influential people in Sheffield who care nothing for culture in any of its myriad aspects and they will try to prevent the city progressing by constant negative remarks and actions. IMO, this segment of our citizenry, as long as it exists, will prevent Sheffield from becoming truly cosmopolitan in the ways that some other cities, and even larger towns, have achieved. I find this a sad state of affairs.

Edited by rubydazzler
guess why? A typo this time. eeek!

I'd have to say..... no.

Unless you meant the magazine Cosmopolitan (A4 sized with staples through the middle) in which case, the answer is also "no".

Sheffield is a VERY polarised city. There are many areas on the Southwest side Ecclesall Rd, Broomhill, Abbeydale Road which are very cosmopolitan then, there are areas of the city which you would have to say are not.

Incidentally Cosmopolitan magazine was edited by a Sheffielder,ex Edwardian Vanessa Thompson until a few years ago.

Anyway Vague Boy Sheffield is certainly much more cosmopolitan than where you live .......Baaaaaaaaaaarnsley!!!:gag:;)

Sheffield is a VERY polarised city. There are many areas on the Southwest side Ecclesall Rd, Broomhill, Abbeydale Road which are very cosmopolitan then [...]
You're actually being serious, aren't you? :)

Let me just refresh your memory ...

cos·mo·pol·i·tan [koz-muh-pol-i-tn]

–adjective

1. free from local, provincial, or national ideas, prejudices, or attachments; at home all over the world.

2. of or characteristic of a cosmopolite.

3. belonging to all the world; not limited to just one part of the world.

I could possibly allow you parts of Ecclesall Rd, and at a push Broomhill ... but Abbeydale Road? Come on! :D

You're actually being serious, aren't you? :)

Let me just refresh your memory ...

I could possibly allow you parts of Ecclesall Rd, and at a push Broomhill ... but Abbeydale Road? Come on! :D

Yes I agree re think on Abbeydale Rd ...... far too close to Woodseats::gag:hihi:

I should have included West St and Dev.green area.

______________________________:

Edited by millhouses24

Well I've lived in a few places and I have to say Sheffield is the epitome of the modern cosmopolitan city with the associated sophisticated lifestyle.

Take me and my lifestyle, for example :).

I start my weekends with a fresh breakfast at the Bankers Draft for £1.49 only (I seem to be the only person with an orange juice with breakfast, everyone else has alcohol :confused:). I then go shopping on the Moor for the latest fashion in trackie bottoms with BABES and KINKY written in glitter across the bottom bit. I then buy some cosmopolitan groceries from Castle Market (which smell a bit funny).

The evening is spent with my chums who live in front of the Cathedral. They are indeed sophisticated and witty gentlemen (especially after they've shared a bottle of lighter fluid or spirits).

Sheffield = cosmopolitan capital of the world :nod::nod::nod:

Nobody was saying it was. But if you don't like it.........:wave: