Greystones School from 1957 to 1959

Is there anyone out there who was at Greystones Secondary School between the above dates?

Names I remember:

Valerie Firth

Sylvia Shore

Christine Wilson

Joan Slater

Christine Marsh

Rosalind Somerset

Derek Green

Stewart Clarke

Graham Blythe

Dougie Stevenson

Terry Allcock

Victor Fox

to name a few! :)

Is there anyone out there who was at Greystones Secondary School between the above dates?

Names I remember:

Valerie Firth

Sylvia Shore

Christine Wilson

Joan Slater

Christine Marsh

Rosalind Somerset

Derek Green

Stewart Clarke

Graham Blythe

Dougie Stevenson

Terry Allcock

Victor Fox

to name a few! :)

Looks like no-one went to your school! :hihi:

I did!!! And remeber some of those names, some of whom were (I think!) in my class.

I did!!! And remeber some of those names, some of whom were (I think!) in my class.

My name was Janet Whiting way back then and I was always in trouble, usually for something I hadn't done. I remember being in Mrs Harrison's class for my last year and left at Christmas in 1959. What was your name? Ican't remember a Hetty.

Edited by Janber
spelling

I think I left in 1960? I was 15 in the November and left school at Christmas. I was also in Mrs Harrisons class! Do you remember the following teachers?:

Miss Hornsey

Mr Turley

Mr Watson

Mrs McDonald

Miss Howson

Mr Newton

Mr Wragg

Mr Morgan

Mrs Marsden

Miss Hartley (Mrs Houghton)

Mr Wilkinson

Mr Aizlewood (Head)

Mrs Robinson (school sec)

I have to say I don't rememeber your name. Pupils in my class were, Diane Smith, Elains Gibbs, Barbara Fletcher, Elaine Gilling Sylvia Bolton, Martin Windle, (he was in the local paper last week connected with football) Tony Ping, Brian Boulby Barry Barnes, the Carol and Ann (twins). Hazel Chadwick, (Miss Hornseys pet!!!) If I rack my brains long enough, dare say I could remember more, it is, after all, almost 50 years ago!!!!!!

If you can remember more teachers/pupils please let me know!!

Hetty

I can remember most of the names you mention:

Miss Hornsey - (Big Boobs!)

Mr Turley - Art Teacher - (Heart throb!)

Mrs McDonald - (she would have been a guard in Stalag 13 in the War!)

Mr Aizlewood - Headteacher - (called everybody 'girlie' and 'laddie' and was a right pr**k!)

Mr Wragg - (he was real treasure, a real good teacher)

I remember Martin Windle and Hazel Chadwick but didn't have much to do with them.

I left Greystones in Christmas 1959 so probably would not have known you as we 4th years always thought we were above everybody else - being about to go into the big wide world! (What gits we were!) Did you think the same when you were a 4th year?

Do you remember Mr Renshaw who used to teach science and was very fond of throwing the blackboard rubber at pupils? (He always hit his mark as well!) :rolleyes:

I do remember Mr Renshaw, not I was on the end of the blackboard rubber!! I hated school, but cried buckets when I left. I was in touch with the Turleys for a good while after I left, used to baby sit for them when they lived on Crescent Road/Hemper Lane. I know he got some sort of OBE(?) or similar award. but can't remember what for. He was a heart throb I agree, a very talented art teacher, fabulous sports master. We used to think he looked like Ty Harding (Bronco Layne, the cowboy not the footballer, you have to be a certain age to remember him!!!)

Do you remember Miss Howson? Had her for domestic science, and for the first year, we were taught how to wash and iron hankys, and how to scrub whitewood tables, (always useful?!!) My poor mum never seemed to get my culinary offerings as I had usually eaten it before I got home!!!

Do you remember hiking up Greystones Rd to the 'dining room'? God the food was awful!

I went on the school trip to Switzerland, along with the Turleys and some girls and boys from my class and others. I was pleased to see in the paper shop at Ecclesall, a book of 'memories of Greystones School' there is a picture of the Swiss trip in it. I bought it for old times sake!

Did Mr. Renshaw, Mr. Wragg & Miss Hornsey teach at Pomona Street school, from, say, 1949-53, or thereabouts ?

If so, sometimes, Miss Hornsey and Mr. Renshaw would chat to each other in the playground when they were both on duty together. Naturally, to us evil-minded little 10 year-olds, this ' chatting ' meant they were having a full-blown love affair !! It 's a good job they weren 't mind-readers or we would have had a few more board 'dusters' thrown at us ! I was never taught by Miss Hornsey but was taught by Mr. Renshaw and Mr. Wragg-----both great teachers. Mr Renshaw was a keen cricket fan and I 'd take a shrewd guess that Mr. Wragg 's son was ' Ted ' Wragg , the senior man at Exeter University and correspondent for the ' Times Educational Supplement '.

Any confirmation, or otherwise, about all this would be welcome and interesting.

I don't know about the teachers at Pomona St. I do remember getting the cane from Miss Hornsey, (the only time ever!) for forgetting a book!!! White Fang by Jack London, it is printed on my mind forever

Did Mr. Renshaw, Mr. Wragg & Miss Hornsey teach at Pomona Street school, from, say, 1949-53, or thereabouts ?

If so, sometimes, Miss Hornsey and Mr. Renshaw would chat to each other in the playground when they were both on duty together. Naturally, to us evil-minded little 10 year-olds, this ' chatting ' meant they were having a full-blown love affair !! It 's a good job they weren 't mind-readers or we would have had a few more board 'dusters' thrown at us ! I was never taught by Miss Hornsey but was taught by Mr. Renshaw and Mr. Wragg-----both great teachers. Mr Renshaw was a keen cricket fan and I 'd take a shrewd guess that Mr. Wragg 's son was ' Ted ' Wragg , the senior man at Exeter University and correspondent for the ' Times Educational Supplement '.

Any confirmation, or otherwise, about all this would be welcome and interesting.

Yes, they did teach at Pomona St - at least Mr Renshaw & Miss Hornsey did. They remained friends until Mr Renshaw died in 1992. Miss Hornsey (now Mrs Lunn) lives in a residential home near Worksop. How do I know this? - 'cos Mr Renshaw was my dad and Miss Hornsey is my godmother! (But I don't think they had an affair - and my mum obviously didn't or they wouldn't have stayed friends ;))

Miss Hornsey was very handy with the cane. I once forgot a book ( White Fang by Jack London, never forgot that!) and got the cane for it. Mr Renshaw taught (or tried) to teach me science. He was on to a loser with that. I hated school, but cried my eyes out when I left. In those days, 1960, you could leave at Christmas. I left with no qualifications, not an awe inspiring Leaving certificate, but have had a decent life, and have done alright for myself!! Have always found that a good amount of common sense has stood me in good stead!!!

Mr Wragg also taught at Pomona St. He took J4, which was the scholarship class back then. He used to give us tests every week to get us ready for taking the 11+. We had to move desks every week according to how we'd done. He became the maths teacher once we'd moved to Greystones. He was a great teacher and a nice man to boot.