Painted Fabrics

Hi there,

My nan has been in sheltered accommodation for a few years at Painted Fabrics which has such a lot history to it.

There are numerous photo's and info on the building and what people did from the war which is fascinating. A number of people at the sheltered building have said that they would love a talk on this subject.

Is there anyone who knows quite a lot about this building, memories, people who lived/ worked there, who would give some time on a talk there? The tenants would find this very interesting and worth while.

If there is anyone who is willing to give up the time to do this, please pm with details.

It would be wonderful if we could have a talk on this.

I spent some time looking at those photos when I went to the polling station during the election.

Try getting in touch with Norton History Group, they may be able to help.

I spent some time looking at those photos when I went to the polling station during the election.

Try getting in touch with Norton History Group, they may be able to help.

Thanks for this, will give them a try.

Hello

The Painted Fabrics archive (1915-1959) is at Sheffield Archives. It contains a whole host of wonderful things including: photographs of the men, families and garments, stencils, watercolour designs, letters, newspaper cuttings and so on.

For more information on the Painted Fabrics story visit our website: http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/archives (click on 'publications' and scroll through the documents until you get to Painted Fabrics)

For more information on talks/workshops, please get in touch: archives@sheffield.gov.uk

Best wishes,

Cheryl, Sheffield Archives

Cheryl, thank you so very much for this. I will be in touch shortly to see about looking at all these items. Really excited about this! Thank you again.

Look forward to hearing from you!

I would add to anyone else that's interested, the items in the Painted Fabrics collection (and for that matter, all of our other collections) are available for researchers to look at in our searchroom (on Shoreham Street), Mon-Thur and Sat. No pre-booking necessary on weekdays - we retrieve documents from the strongroom all day upon request. You just need to register as a reader at reception. Drop us an e-mail if you're trying to find out about something in particular.

Best wishes,

Look forward to hearing from you!

I would add to anyone else that's interested, the items in the Painted Fabrics collection (and for that matter, all of our other collections) are available for researchers to look at in our searchroom (on Shoreham Street), Mon-Thur and Sat. No pre-booking necessary on weekdays - we retrieve documents from the strongroom all day upon request. You just need to register as a reader at reception. Drop us an e-mail if you're trying to find out about something in particular.

Best wishes,

I heard recently that you're to close for 6 months for the installation of air-conditioning, can you tell me the date this will take place please?

Hello. Yes, we are expecting to shut temporarily in the near future to have the strongroom's air handling unit upgraded. All of the collections will have to leave the site while the work is done, and we expect disruption to the service from late 2010 onwards. I'm afraid we don't have any clearer timescale than this. As soon as we know firm dates, these will be posted on our website: http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/archives. I will also post a notice on the Sheffield Forum.

Best wishes,

Hello. Yes, we are expecting to shut temporarily in the near future to have the strongroom's air handling unit upgraded. All of the collections will have to leave the site while the work is done, and we expect disruption to the service from late 2010 onwards. I'm afraid we don't have any clearer timescale than this. As soon as we know firm dates, these will be posted on our website: http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/archives. I will also post a notice on the Sheffield Forum.

Best wishes,

Thanks for the reply, an update nearer the time would be very helpful especially for anyone from out of town planning to visit SheffArchives.

Will do - definitely. I would not like anyone to make a wasted journey. More as I have it...

Who remembers the painted fabrics at meadow head in the 1950s