First v Stage Coach

I think that you'll find it does as they have supertram as well and if you check their buses you'll find they are better condition than mainline, where do you think the money comes from? First are pricing themselves out of market with extortionate fares.:roll::roll:

I think you will find it doesn't. First are the UK's biggest transport company with Stagecoach in 2nd place and Arriva 3rd.

Stagecoach are a smaller operation in Sheffield than First so they can easily put newer busses in than First which they have done. However your blinkered view fails to list the 20 odd busses that Stagecoach transferred from Oxford to Ecclesfield depot just before Christmas. These busses being 10 years or so old.

Note that when it was Yorkshire Terrier it was First that was putting in the new busses then.

If you think First's prices are high then catch a Stagecoach bus in an area with no competition such as Barnsley or Chesterfield and note the similarity of the fare with the First fare in Sheffield. You will be surprised to find them pretty much the same.

Personally I prefer Stagecoach as a company as I find their busses more comfortable and they promote their services etc well but they are not perfect either. They are no different to First or any company if they have a monopoly in the area they serve.

Edited by stephenr

from the Star's website

It looks like the bus wars might be over - good news surely, unless prices start rising again.

BUS wars between rival operators in Sheffield are over - meaning passengers will soon be able to use any service with the same ticket.

First and Stagecoach have agreed to scrap their head-to-head policy by which each company tries to out-do the other with cheaper fares and extra frequency - while less profitable routes have seen services cut.

The arrangement will start on services between Halfway and Fulwood, but is set to be expanded across the city.

you get a lot more value for money with stage coach, they do a weekly bus+tram ticket for around 12 quid i think, that is great choice if you need to get places which have different routes on it

but let us all face it, it does not matter which company runs buses or trams, they are all misery guts as well as being bullying nazis on the road, they should be glad they even have a job, a lot better than cleaning toilets for a living

When I absolutely have to use Public Transport, I use Stage Coach. The fares are less and you can use the ticket on Supertram.

I don't understand why first only have the 50p student fare only on a few routes. Do they think us students are better off in other areas? One of the reasons I use stagecoach is because of the 50p student fare. Other reasons are listed above.

And I'm sure Stagecoach will lose a lot of passengers when they increase their student fare to 60p.:cool:

And soon there'll be a big change on the 120s. Looks like First are going to run it in partnership oposed to 40/41s. Same for the FreeBees when First get them.

they do one for both buses and trams :

Price: £76.90

Operator(s): All operators

Duration: Monthly / 28 day

Available from: Travel South Yorkshire Information Centres and manned train stations

Full ticket information

You can use your TravelMaster Sheffield 28 Day on all buses, trains and trams within the Sheffield City Council area.

Hi I know this is nothing to do with bus changes but does anyone know if the buses are running on sunday whennthe race for life is on,particularly sheffield city centre as I need to get to work

From start of service until around 2pm buses will be subject to delays in city centre and the only stop in use will be Sheffield Interchange and will use the inner ring road into and out of city.

Got on a stagecoach 83 bus today at Banner Cross after waving past a First bus. The Stagecoach then stopped and waited at Endcliffe park stop for 5+ minutes, then it stopped at Waitrose Stop for 3 minutes and another first overtook us, then stopped at the moor Fruit and veg stop for 3 minutes, all this together with driving at a snails pace meant the journey took over half an hour. Missed train. well chuffed

Should have took the First, at least the extra 20p would have got me to town in a reasonable amount of time.

A few weeks ago I was also on a stagecoach going out of town and it stopped at Hunters bar, driver got out locked bus and went to the spar shop for 5 minutes. One of the passengers tried to get off and couldn't as the door was locked.

I can never remember first buses stopping like this. In fact they were a bit of a roller-coaster ride some days.

Got on a stagecoach 83 bus today at Banner Cross after waving past a First bus. The Stagecoach then stopped and waited at Endcliffe park stop for 5+ minutes, then it stopped at Waitrose Stop for 3 minutes and another first overtook us, then stopped at the moor Fruit and veg stop for 3 minutes, all this together with driving at a snails pace meant the journey took over half an hour. Missed train. well chuffed

Should have took the First, at least the extra 20p would have got me to town in a reasonable amount of time.

A few weeks ago I was also on a stagecoach going out of town and it stopped at Hunters bar, driver got out locked bus and went to the spar shop for 5 minutes. One of the passengers tried to get off and couldn't as the door was locked.

I can never remember first buses stopping like this. In fact they were a bit of a roller-coaster ride some days.

That'll be because the Stagecoach bus will be running early, so has to wait his time. The reason you've never experienced it on a first bus is because they usually run late..

The issue of drivers stopping to wait their time has been covered ad nauseum on this forum. If you plan your journey using timetables, you expect the bus to be there when it says on the timetable -if the driver ignored the timepoints, you'd miss it (as well as the small fact that he would be sacked). Still, as long as you got to where you're going on time, that's ok isnt it?

That'll be because the Stagecoach bus will be running early, so has to wait his time. The reason you've never experienced it on a first bus is because they usually run late..

The issue of drivers stopping to wait their time has been covered ad nauseum on this forum. If you plan your journey using timetables, you expect the bus to be there when it says on the timetable -if the driver ignored the timepoints, you'd miss it (as well as the small fact that he would be sacked). Still, as long as you got to where you're going on time, that's ok isnt it?

Sorry, I rarely look at a timetables, the buses are pretty frequent. If i get on a bus, i expect it to to take where i'm going quickly. If the bus is early then it has set off to early from its terminus, it shouldn't take on customers and make them wait.

I didn't get to where i was going on time, and i would have with the first.

Sorry, I rarely look at a timetables, the buses are pretty frequent. If i get on a bus, i expect it to to take where i'm going quickly. If the bus is early then it has set off to early from its terminus, it shouldn't take on customers and make them wait.

I didn't get to where i was going on time, and i would have with the first.

the driver didn't do anything wrong unless he was actually running late but as you didn't check the timetables i guess you don't know that. it's not the drivers that decide where to wait, if it was upto us we would get from one end to the other without any waiting but if bus companies are caught leaving the timepoints early the company is fined heavily, thats why a driver will get the sack most times for doing it. the bus can only go as quick as the timetable allows.

if the bus was late then you can always complain