Better off on benefits

Something we've read a number of times when people try to justify why they won't work.

Apparently it's all going to change.

the Work and Pensions Secretary, will announce a series of reforms today that are intended to ensure that low earners will always be better off in employment.

The single most needed piece of benefits reform there is. The amounts don't really matter, the minutiae of rules don't really matter, so long as this is made true then no one will ever be better off not working.

This is one of the thing that have people ( quite rightly so ) in work, fed-up with the whole benefit system.

Giving tax credits to households on £60.000.pa.

People refusing to take work that consists of more than 16 hours, ( or they would loose their tax credits ).

I am sure we all know what is going on.

Something should be done. What do people think ?:)

not before time too!

Yes 100% agreed,

Does any other country have a benefit system like ours? Do you see people in Australia or America who are unemployed but living in a 4 bedroom house in a nice area, totally funded by the state?

Does any other country have a benefit system like ours? Do you see people in Australia or America who are unemployed but living in a 4 bedroom house in a nice area, totally funded by the state?

Probably not. I think we are the only country stupid enough tokeep these scroungers in the lap of luxury. It makes me sick to see the same faces outside the boozers day in and day out whilst im on my way to and from work.

GET A JOB AND GET SOME SELF RESPECT!

:pass the popcorn:

Awaits the usual excuse makers logging onto the forum after completing their tofu butty run.

At it again BB?

Benefits should be a safety net, not a way of life.

Benefits should be a safety net, not a way of life.

Should be,

But isnt.

Interesting article in the FT on this issue:

"David Cameron’s welfare reforms will steadily increase the main jobless statistic to about 3m by 2014, according to a leading think-tank which has modelled the impact of a strict new test for sickness benefit.

The welfare shake-up, initially designed under Labour, will shift up to 2m lone parents and sickness benefit claimants on to the dole, pushing up the jobless claimant count even as the economy emerges from recession."

I also saw that child benefit could be stopped once a child reaches 13 and tax credits may be taxed... (I find that a tad odd, taxing a tax credit :huh: )

You can see the appeal of not working. I could pack my job in, claim benefits, do the course I want fully funded, have plenty of time to study, plus my rent would be paid and I'd have a reasonable amount of money for me and the kids to live on. How very tempting!