Ditch the NHS for private health care

Could we model our own private system though, distinct from the US system and superior to it?

I can't see a situation where health care can be improved by taking money away from the health care and giving it to shareholders.

I can't see a situation where health care can be improved by taking money away from the health care and giving it to shareholders.

True enough!

The privatisation which has already gone through has shown that it DOESN'T lower prices, become more efficient or work for the benefit of the consumer.

Record increase in number of NHS complaints 2009/2010:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-11083236

Its always the negatives which make the news tho, isn't it?

I'd wager the number of thank-you letters, tins of biscuits, tokens of gratitude etc outweigh the complaints massively but you will never see a BBC report on them.

Also, how many of these complaints are unfounded, caused by misunderstanding or malice?

I completely agree. Despite the big promises that privatisation of utilities and transport claimed, first and foremost these are for profit organisations. I can't imagine a healthcare system being any different. Yes, the NHS has to make tough decisions, how much worse would these decisions be if made by INSURANCE COMPANIES

I completely agree. Despite the big promises that privatisation of utilities and transport claimed, first and foremost these are for profit organisations. I can't imagine a healthcare system being any different. Yes, the NHS has to make tough decisions, how much worse would these decisions be if made by INSURANCE COMPANIES

In fact in real terms we are now paying more to subsidise the companies which run the railways, than we paid to run them when they were nationalised.

In fact in real terms we are now paying more to subsidise the companies which run the railways, than we paid to run them when they were nationalised.

I can quite believe it. Look at the energy companies, the big 5 constantly being criticised by the regulator for not passing on savings to consumers, but being powerless to act... The bus companies scrapping the less profitable routes despite leaving those who rely on public transport stranded... We can't even boast vastly improved services. Why would we want the same thing to happen to health care? I, for one, would rather doctors were concerned about my health, rather than their bills

here's a list of a few:

1. Risk assessments - do we really need a risk assessment for someone to be able to have a cup of tea in hospital?

2. police paperwork - they have to write an essay each time they arrest someone...is it worth arresting anyone?

3. Far too many different departments within the same department. Phone the NHS and see how many times you have to press 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 to actually speak to someone.

4. Training courses for absolutely everything - even training police officers, paramedics etc how to wash their vehicles, that is plain ridiculous! I learn from watching my dad/grandad why send them on a week long course to learn again!

I'm not meaning to come across as pedantic but they are some examples i can think of which are a waste of time and money.

That (the bold) is so far removed from the truth/reality it actually made me laugh out loud!

Frail elderly patients 'left to starve in hospitals', admit more than two-thirds of NHS nurses

What a fantastic service the NHS is providing these elderly and vulnerable patients who have paid the taxes for years and years. Just think how different it might be if they were in a private hospital.

Is it time we ditched the NHS in favour of a private health care system, taking parts of health care systems seen in Europe and the US?

It's often difficult to have a proper discussion about the future of our national health care because of the Golden Calf mentality that permeates the public sector, the NHS in particular, and the Unions.

But lets be honest, it's nowhere near perfect and often falls short of what we might expect of a modern health service.

If we had the private sector replace the NHS, competing companies would strive to provide better services and provide them at competative prices to win customers. They would have to meet the service expectations of its customers, or it customers will look elsewhere. The tax burden on Joe Public should go down, then it is your choice whether to spend that extra money in your pocket on fags and booze, or on health insurance.

I am under private health care, and would never change back to the nhs. And I agree with you, I know I would rather spend my money on health care then fags and booze. :)

Frail elderly patients 'left to starve in hospitals', admit more than two-thirds of NHS nurses

What a fantastic service the NHS is providing these elderly and vulnerable patients who have paid the taxes for years and years. Just think how different it might be if they were in a private hospital.

With less nurses and doctors, there'd be less elderly in hospital.

Indeed. Then we could have stories about elderly frail patients made homeless because they had to sell their home to fund a hip replacement. :loopy:

Another flaming thread