Ditch the NHS for private health care

It may surprise many to learn that MRSA does exist in private hospitals - they will never admit to it though and will transfer the patient very rapidly to an NHS facility so that this unfortunate person doesn't appear on their stats. The fact that the private hospital you speak of doesn't swab the groin for MRSA is very revealing since it is just as likely to be in the groin than in the nose - often both. The second swab is NOT a needless cost - it may be crucial. I fear that private hospitals are burying their head in the sand and refusing to admit that the MRSA germ would dare to cross their silver plated threshold.

Well said. Also at the moment the NHS is waiting for what the next "big bug" will be. Its a never ending cycle, and costs a fortune.

refusing to admit that the MRSA germ would dare to cross their silver plated threshold.

It would actually be less likely to cross if it was copper rather than siver plated!

I was transfered from the Hallamshire to a private hospital to meet the governments deadline.

I was due to have a hernia op, the aneathetist (spelling) started asking questions shortly before my op that puzzled me so I asked him the name on the notes which turned not to be mine, he'd never asked me my name on entering the room.

Shortly before my op I was pressured into having normal open surgery instead of keyhole that I'd requested (this was because open surgery was quicker to carry out), I refused.

After the op I wasn't visited by a doctor until 24 hours after my operation, it turned they'd left my notes off of his visting list that evening.

As the hospital didn't have piped oxygen they had to use the old fashioned cylinder trollies, the nurse proceded to trap the oxygen pipe under the trolley wheel, the identification wristband had been put on quite tight so the same nurse cut it off and put it in the waste bin.

Long live NHS

So maybe private-public partnerships are the way forward?

Unfortunately the private sector can just cherry pick those patients who are low risk i.e. minor procedures, with low complication rates on young and relatively fit patients with less chances of post-operative complications.

This means that although you may get seen super-quick and be really happy with the service, the crumbly 80 year old with the broken hip and heart disease still has to go to the NHS - a private hospital wouldnt touch her with a barge-pole. Expensive for the NHS.

So all the easy stuff gets picked off by the private companies, they are quids in with very little risk. If any complications do arise, guess where the patient ends up? The local NHS hospital! Expensive for the NHS.

It's win-win for these companies.

It also means less training for junior surgeons in more simple surgery as all those cases get sent to St Elsewhere to have it done privately.

Unfortunately the private sector can just cherry pick those patients who are low risk

No they can't.

The second story hints at the truth though doesn't it? They treat within the capabilities of the clinic as referred by NHS GP's.

So, for example, the clinic at Barlborough won't be doing brain surgery any time soon will it... or will it? But I've heard that patients think it's wonderful because they get seen quickly in a nice environment paid for by the NHS.

The second story hints at the truth though doesn't it? They treat within the capabilities of the clinic as referred by NHS GP's.

So, for example, the clinic at Barlborough won't be doing brain surgery any time soon will it... or will it? But I've heard that patients think it's wonderful because they get seen quickly in a nice environment paid for by the NHS.

Is it any wonder they have a nice environment when they get cheaper cases than the NHS for the same level of funding?

Edited by Wildcat

Just another excuse to start an anti-military thread because one sadistic moron killed a dog.

Is it any wonder they have a nice environment when they get cheaper cases than the NHS for the same level of funding?

Ah, so you're changing your argument now?

Incidentally, have you made it some kind of mission to follow me around SF and pick holes in what I write, albeit somewhat unsuccessfully? Or is it just coincidence?

Ah, so you're changing your argument now?

Incidentally, have you made it some kind of mission to follow me around SF and pick holes in what I write, albeit somewhat unsuccessfully? Or is it just coincidence?

Not my mission. I simply pick-up on posts I feel are either wrong or misleading because they are only partial truths, whilst trying to avoid wasting time with trolls. The fact you have recently been on a bit of a campaign for a small state has attracted my interest not for any personal season, I just disagree with you.